So, what would your policy stance be? (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

In response to his little yap about the baby bonus;
The baby bonus is currently a $4000 lump sum. There is something else you can claim at tax time, a tax rebate - but thats only if you or your partner earns $40,000 or less. It decreases by 20c per dollar you earn over $40,000.

I don't believe in scrapping it, and I think it's easy to say 'wait until you're financially secure', but I think you're being a bit optimistic. Even if the $4000 got reduced to say, 8 $500 instalments I believe that would be fine as there is nothing you need for a child that costs more than $500 in one hit.

We've already got everything for our baby, so our $4000 will be used to relieve the costs of doctors visits, vaccinations and items such as nappies, etc. We're financially secure but which fool in their right mind would pass up money to help with extra costs?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'd prefer people like that were isolated from the world, I'm sorry.
Can you give a reason though over than just 'I hate these pricks' ? Sure vengence is probably a part of any justice system, but all it leads to is greater net pain for all involved.

Other than exposing himself to some women, having new obscenity charges, rooting another dude in full view of some kids on the beach... hmmm, I think he's very rehabilitated, don't you? He's ALREADY been sent back to court.
Well first of all, what I think you're thinking of is called 'parole', not bail - Unless you were using 'bailed' as just some general word for released from prison... anyway it added to my confusion.

Anyway, with regard to his obscene behaviour:
He said Lewthwaite admitted being naked and although he had positioned himself in the sandhills he was too close to a walking track and the low scrubby vegetation did not provide adequate cover.

Mr Brydon said there was no suggestion that Lewthwaite was deliberately acting obscenely and he took into account the time of day it happened, between 4pm-5pm, when many people had left the beach.

He said there was no evidence that Lewthwaite had been observed by members of the public or that anyone had been affronted by his nudity.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...scene-behaviour/2006/11/27/1164476106124.html

The facts seem different to how you position them. He did not expose himself to ANY of the public, however there was a possibility that members of the public could see him... it was not 'In full view', it was in a slightly concealed area.

Don't you think you're overblowing what is a really minor charge ONLY because of his history? Other than a parking ticket, this is his only charge since being released. You really make him out to be a monster, but from all the evidence I can see he is a rehabilitated man.

using things like water cannons and the like to subdue protestors? If they're being violent, it's not like it's not justified.
Some protestors are violent so we 'subdue' all of them?

That's a whole other story because I don't really like the current structure of pay-TV. I'd much prefer a system where you pay for individual channels, rather than bundles where you might watch 5 channels out of 50. Paying for 1 channel would be affordable, paying $100 a month for a whole bunch you don't watch isn't. Under that kind of system, yeah, pay for the ABC.
But what that'll lead to is that people who want different types of programming to the majority will have to pay much more to get their channels/such channels will not exist.

It's always existed, and makes up a very large proportion of the deaths.
Yes it has and now it's more crazy than ever because of the coalition's intervention in iraq. I'd really like justification as to how the Iraqi's are any better off now... the entire world is worse off because of this war.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
lengy said:
Education
*No change to syllabus
*Propose a Humanist/Morality/Ethics/Critical Thinking/Reality based scripture alternative to 'religion'.
Good good

Taxation
* No change
I agree to some extent

Immigration
* No change
I think we should encourage migrants from different areas such as Eastern Europe and Latin America

Crime
* Detainment and rehabilitation of those who commit racially based crimes.
* Welfare is a method of crime prevention. Once removed all those who supported it's removal should have their houses proudly displaying they they participated in the scheme and hence their house the first to be lewted and ransacked.
This should also include emphasis on "minority racism"

Indigenous Affairs
* They should receive welfare no different from any other Australian.
I agree although a sense of dignity should be there

Global Warming
* Continue policies which promote lowering of emissions relative to our country production of emissions globally.
I agree

Social Policy
* Abortion should be legalised, because the woman has the right to autonomy over her own body and no one should be forced to give birth. However, should the woman choose to keep the baby when the father doesn't want it, he should be able to legally opt out of paying support.

* Marriage should not be licensed by the state. However, if it has to be, it should be open to all over the age of consent - gay or straight - because the state has no right to interfere in a person's love life once they're over that age. If it's state-sanctioned, it's a civil union, regardless of who's marrying. If churches and other religious institutions wish to marry people in religious settings, that could be termed marriage. Since a church is a private entity, it can marry or refuse anyone it sees fit.

*Removal of affirmative action.

* I support stem cell research.
* Kill bshoc.
* Cull the pensioners over 100 lowering culling age by 6 month at the start of each year. This is to be made a public holiday.
Are you serious? Only about 1000 people in Australia are centenarians. I agree marriage is not a religious institution

Welfare policy
* Continue current schemes for receiving welfare.

*Furthermore, children should be discouraged from dropping out of school and doing nothing. They shouldn't be allowed to leave school at the end of Year 10 unless they've either got a job or are undertaking training. Otherwise, they're more inclined to go on welfare.

*You should not get an automatic pension just for being a single mother because this is a form of passive encouragement to marry abusive husbands. Seriously, it encourages people to have kids when they can't afford it, it's easily rorted, and it encourages the state to pay for people's lifestyle choices. I oppose it on the same grounds as I do the baby bonus and family tax benefits - a child is a choice and a long-term commitment, and it's one you shouldn't make unless you're truly ready and capable. At least childcare benefits go towards a service and are not just money straight in the pocket, though I'm again a bit iffy on those because of the choice factor.
More kids should be encouraged to do trades/apprenticeships at TAFE if they drop out

Industrial Relations
* Workchoices is good but for one thing: it doesn't go far enough. The legislation itself is too complex and too prescriptive. For a better example, look to New Zealand's clearer legislation - it's only about 50 pages long.
I think its disgusting and workers need more flexibility if we want this country to survive.

Public Transport
* I support toll roads because I don't mind the fact that a private company builds infrastructure based on need and we need another private/public fiasco disaster to blame whatever government is in charge for being dumb enough to fall victim to believing private companies aren't money hungry greedy machines designed to bankrupt anyone but themselves.

* I would implement the Christie Rail Report suggestions (for that MASSIVE train system) starting immediately. Given that public transport is a good thing in general, I don't mind putting a sizable chunk of money towards it - I don't like specifically environmental legislation as such, but having a decent rail system is important because it's useful and it indirectly helps the environment while improving quality of life.
* A rail system that works and actually runs on time.
Absolutely, but these are NSW State issues but I am a huge supporter of the Christie report
Monetary policy
* Lower the pay of politicians.
Yes, and a lot of the perks

Defence
* Support our troops in Iraq until their role can be replaced by Iraqis.
*Maintain current foreign policy with Asia, and North America.
*Invade Israel.
*Free Saddam and place him as Dictator of United Jesus ( Israel/Palestine)
Are you completely out of your fucking mind? Invade Israel for what? And support the Islamic fundamentalist Hezbollah to start a second Holocaust and at what cost to the US Alliance do you think that will amount?

Free Trade
* Is one of the most essential things EVER, and I'd do everything in my power to facilitate it as long as it's in our favour.
Yes, but that should not lead to manufacturing being shipped completely offshore

Foreign Aid
*Provide security for our Pacific neighbours whilst secretly planning to have them as satellite states of our great nation and should they refuse our gracious offer we remove our troops and watch their countries descend to chaos.
Errrrrrrrrm, that's fucked

Environment
* I support nuclear power.

* I support a better public transport system.

* Distillation plants in the Eastern Suburbs.
I only agree with the middle one

Media
* No Changes
The new media ownership laws are disgraceful and $280 million should not be put into censorship

Tertiary Education
* No Changes
Abolition of VSU is something I agree on

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Because not only did he gang rape a girl, but it was racially motivated. He has no place in this society. Rape is something I feel very strongly on, and those twin factors make it all the worse.
Yea I get that it was a really bad crime, but what difference is there between 33 and 51 years? What outcome do you get by keeping him there for the extra years? It does nothing.

Except for the fact there was another, later story which says he exposed himself to two women.
These two women reported this only after seeing him on tv, some months after the alleged incident. There are various problems with such evidence and I'd really be cautious to hold judgement until he is actually trialled on the matter.

If they get violent, subdue them. Seriously. Peaceful protest is one thing. Idiots like the G20 protestors is something completely different.
But not all of them were violent, you're suggesting getting out hoses etc but probably 80% or so of those at the g20 protest did nothing wrong.

What about Madison Hall? They want to release her against all advice.
No... they want to release her against the advice of the NSW Attorney-General.

So the government should prop them up? Fantastic!
So you'd prefer people with interests outside the mainstream to recieve no assistance? For the marginalised to just become... more marginalised?

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It protects him from society for those extra 20-odd years.
You think there's a chance of him reoffending? Really? Also, where does your argument end?

- Why not another 20 years ontop of that?
- Why not just give him life?
- Why even let him live?

20% is still too much. How do you propose dealing with thugs like that if you're powerless to stop them other than by taking photos?
I suggest that we only deal with them by taking photo's, looking for them etc, moving in when it's safe to do so or there's enough of a risk to human life to warrent doing so... I would rather let some 'bad guys' get away rather than get more of the 'bad guys' and also punish more of the good ones :)

So the crimes she committed, plus the fact she's been violent against others in prison, suggests she's rehabilitated enough to re-enter society? I know I wouldn't want Hall living near me. Honestly.
I haven't read the judgement of the case, have you? But given your previous skewing of the facts I'd probably wager this is another situation where upon further inspection there is alot of positives pointing towards her release.

Well, if the government props up the ABC, why doesn't it prop up Al Jazeera? Or the Christian Channel? Or a goth nightclub? Or the Medieval Re-enactment Society? Or roleplayers? All outside the mainstream but not government-funded.
The government has limited funding, but I think you'll find the government does prop up religious charities/organisations, probably props up all sorts of societies etc....

It's like those ridiculous art projects that get grants in the thousands of dollars. I don't understand funding those, either. (Nor do I understand the millions on sports, to be honest.)
I agree with those, but I think they're a little different to a television station.

gerhard

HSC
My policy statements

Open immigration. Anyone who wants to come and can get here can come. i honestly dont know how someone can call themselves a capitalist and be against the free movement of people.
Welfare - get rid of it.

more to come

also on media laws.

what the fuck is the point of deregulating media ownership while still setting up a monopoly on licenses. complete deregulation, anyone can start up there own network. as many channels available as physically possible. same goes for radio.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yeah, I do, honestly. People like Skaf have no respect for our society. If it were me I would have given him life without parole.
You don't think prison will change him? You really think he'll lead another gang rape once he gets out of gaol? Do you realise how unlikely that is?

I would argue sexually assaulting both male and female prisoners doesn't point to a strong sign of rehabilitation.
Was this done early-on during her gaol time?
Has she actually been charged for doing so?
Is there some other reason the judge may not believe she did sexually assault those people?

Maybe our philosophies differ then. I've seen too many of the 'bad guys' let go - that doesn't apply just to protestors, either.
So you'd rather see innocent people get hurt so that you can also punish those that do wrong?

And I don't necessarily agree with that, either. Do you? If so, why?
No I don't agree, only things which can't easily be replaced i.e. a television station, airline, car manufacturing industry should be propped up by the government.

lengy

HSC
ihavenothing said:
Good good

I agree to some extent

I think we should encourage migrants from different areas such as Eastern Europe and Latin America

This should also include emphasis on "minority racism"

I agree although a sense of dignity should be there

I agree

Are you serious? Only about 1000 people in Australia are centenarians. I agree marriage is not a religious institution

More kids should be encouraged to do trades/apprenticeships at TAFE if they drop out

I think its disgusting and workers need more flexibility if we want this country to survive.

Absolutely, but these are NSW State issues but I am a huge supporter of the Christie report

Yes, and a lot of the perks

Are you completely out of your fucking mind? Invade Israel for what? And support the Islamic fundamentalist Hezbollah to start a second Holocaust and at what cost to the US Alliance do you think that will amount?

Yes, but that should not lead to manufacturing being shipped completely offshore

Errrrrrrrrm, that's fucked

I only agree with the middle one

The new media ownership laws are disgraceful and $280 million should not be put into censorship

Abolition of VSU is something I agree on
I just copy pasta'd Malfoy's and did some quick changes and forgot to remove some of hers. Plus I wasn't been too serious when I wrote it up. I don't think I'm up to date with the current affairs and informed of each issue enough to make a serious attempt at writing policy. I'll leave these up to those who have an opinion. I disagree with the majority of points Malfoy put forward though.

BlackDragon

HSC
Malfoy said:
Originally Posted by gerhard
My policy statements

Open immigration. Anyone who wants to come and can get here can come.

Why? Doesn't that heighten the chance of criminals and other undesirables migrating here?

Agreed. Are there any cases in which you feel welfare is justified?

Agreed. That's a good point.
We need immigration to regenerate our population. Yes i do agree that it should be something that is earned and something that is valued, however, our birth rate is below the replenishment rate and immigration is a large part of the australian way. i'll write my all policies later.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
In my opinion a utopic state would be the one proposed in Brave New World - caste system, no individualism, maximum utility. That of course is unrealistic as humans are weaklings with no will to create such a world, just as we have no will to abandon governance and adopt pure libertarianism.

Bearing in mind the political constraints posed by lack of will, I think a few policy focuses would benefit Australia's future - in particular its long term economic growth and societal values.

Military
-Australia should develop nuclear weapons to strengthen our foreign policy position and abandon the shackles of reliance on the US. We need to be a militarily strong nation within our region to rival the likes of China and North Korea because despite the rhetoric of modern international relations, nothing speaks louder than real force.

Economy
-There should be more government ownership of infrastructure and natural monopolies.
-We should not abandon the traditional manufacturing sector as it provides the backbone of real economic growth.
-Free trade should not be imposed as an absolute doctrine. The traditional manufacturing sectors need to be protected because of their importance to Australian values, employment and society that cannot be captured by market signals.
-Real economic growth is not spurred by "less government intervention" or even "aggregate demand" but by advancement in technology. This is the real outcome of the World Wars - in the quest to find better ways to kill we accidentally develop technology that benefits humanity. For this reason funding in science and research is key - because in absence of conflict technological advancement is the only way to produce real sustained growth.

Population
-Populate or perish does not need to be adopted as a policy stance merely because of the "aging population" crisis.
-There ought to be more urban development and less emphasis on environmental conservation. Australian has a lack of grey, not a lack of green.

Welfare
-Welfare should remain generous because of the kind of society it creates. Libertarians like to rely on two arguments against providing adequate welfare. Firstly, that people deserve what they earn, and secondly that people have need incentive to earn.
-To the first proposition I'd argue that there is no reason to suspect that people deserve to be in the position they are in because there are so many genetic, family and other factors like luck that determine their socio-economic position, and also because as a society both high-income earners and low-income earners are vital, they simply use different skills to contribute to economic welfare.
-In regard to incentives, i'd say that prestige is just as important an incentive to differentiate occupations, and that the negative personel distribution externality created by disproportionate income disparity can be offset by taxation. That is - you don't want a society where people aim to enter professions just because they're well paid - instead you want people who are suitable to those professions because they have an interest in them.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well let me say first that I am largely in agreeance with ntb, malfoy, gerhard and waf on these kind of issues. And now for some I don't think have been covered yet.

Centralisation:
-I support centralisation to the extent that I'd abolish the states and local councils completely, policing, education, health, etc etc would pass to the federal level. Then divide into administrative districts which are similar to large councils and administrate the policing, education, environment, health, sanitation, etc within their area.
-Eventual merger with New Zealand.

Taxation:
-30/30 tax reform eg 30,000 tax free threshold and 30% flat rate thereafter.

Welfare:
-More programmes to get people off welfare and into work.

Education:
-Nationally harmonised
-A trades specific year 11 programme leading to apprenticeships in yr12
-Compulsory philosophy, ethics, etc subject
-Compulsory commerce/economics/civics subject
-Compulsory religious education or activities in schools banned
-Voucher system

Immigration:
-Lets open the gates. More migrants per year.
-More skilled migrants.
-More unskilled migrants (issued visas compelling them to reside in a designated area for five years eg places that have labour shortages).
-More refugees.
-Compulsory english testing, migrants must learn english, speaking passably by their 1st year.

Defence:
-Stay in Iraq for now.
-Allow foriegn nationals to join the army (subject to security checks), they gain citizenship upon completion of service (the US already does this).
-Construction of 4 multi-role large ships eg they serve as small carrier, transport ship, oiler, etc. They operate in concert with subs, choppers, figthers, missile ships and the army to form multi-role combat groups able to rapidly depoly.
-Pro-curement of a long-range bomber.

Environment:
-Drink treated effluent.
-Raise the price of water.
-Charge for water drawn from the murray-darling.

Farmers:
-No more drought relief handouts these just keep bad farmers in business. 90% of produce comes from 10% of farms and these farms don't need handouts infact cutting handouts and forcing others to close will allow good farms to expand.

lengy

HSC
Ef ewe let da mygrants en, wer be ol da Oztrayans? Dun won dis tu be an Azn nashun yo or wursed, a Muzzlum nashun.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Agreed.

Desalinisation is a crock, building dams doesnt help unless it rains, our rivers are over-drawn as it is and water has stopped falling from the sky I don't think there is a single viable alternative to treated effleunt. Much of Europe and America already does this its time we did too.

I would like to add the construction of nuclear plants and the gradual decommisioning of the snowy-hydro (well the hydro elec part) scheme.

gerhard

HSC
Malfoy said:
Why? Doesn't that heighten the chance of criminals and other undesirables migrating here?
Innocent until proven guilty. I dont really see why they would be more likely to be criminals than a randomly selected sample of australians. unless your saying people will flee their country because they committed a crime.

Agreed. Are there any cases in which you feel welfare is justified?
Well if im opening the borders to allow anyone and any number to come, then welfare must obviously removed, or people will just come to collect welfare, and the state will bankrupt

K

katie_tully

It's like this (in regards to treated effluent).
People drink water from a dam already. I don't know what dream land people live in, but I can tell you right now that the quality of water from the catchment areas ain't exactly pristine. That's why it goes through chlorination and such, and thats why at the end of the filtration process the water tastes like crap.

Effluent will go through even more rigorous filtration and treatment than the standard dam water anyway, so my bet is that it'll probably be even cleaner than the current water.

K

katie_tully

Open immigration. Anyone who wants to come and can get here can come. i honestly dont know how someone can call themselves a capitalist and be against the free movement of people.
Welfare - get rid of it.
That's great. Let anybody in but simultaneously scrap welfare.

has somebody addressed this already?

K

katie_tully

My twin concerns are thus:
* Having a baby is a choice, and it shouldn't be subsidised by the government
* I'm not much of a believer in welfare to begin with

If it were in instalments, it'd be better, but I still think income splitting is the way to go.
Having a baby is a choice. A choice many people would like to make but cannot afford it on top of current living costs.
The baby bonus provides an incentive for people to breed. Our population is aging and I can tell you that the costs of an aging population far out weigh the cost of a $4000 baby bonus.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Yeah man I always rape in self-defence. How the fuck can you say that, are you looking out for your islamofascist buddies?
When was self defence ever relevant to rape? Bright boy you are.

Last edited:

lengy

HSC
Open Immigration + Welfare Elimination = Squalor/Ghettos/Crime/Poverty/More Redferns

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)