Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 117
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Is there such a thing as Gender?

  1. #76
    将来: NEET Sien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    大学入試地獄
    Posts
    2,218
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    What is wrong with you??? Me and my family? When did my family come into this?
    First of all, I've been listening to everything you've said and actively engaging but I don't have much substance in what you say. Instead of telling me why I am wrong, you just say I'm wrong. Explain it!!!! Far out.

    Sien, although he doesn't agree with me, explained what he believes and did it in a way that was not arrogant at all. Your arrogance is truly disgusting and you're completely making it seem like whatever you believe is correct. You are not open to discussion or open-minded at all.

    For the text in bold, that's a major appeal to authority. First of all, no, I don't know better than the collective scientists in the world, their so-called evidence just doesn't appear to be tangible evidence and is deductions. E.g. The fossils show evidence something was there but not the history behind it. And newsflash, scientists don't have to believe in evolution, I know many and have had many science teachers that don't but have to teach it as it is in the syllabus.

    I'm not saying evolution isn't true (it might be) but I don't think it should not be categorized as science, and there is a lot of faith behind evolution (and don't say that believing in God requires more faith, considering that's irrelevant). I believe that evolution is more a belief than science since it can't be proven unless you deduce. If I was to believe in evolution as 'science', there would have to be no missing links, otherwise I'm just having faith in what scientists think they're going to find in the future.


    Before you respond to this, I want you to think about what I have said, why you think it is wrong and what is right. It's not that your insults 'hurt my feelings', it's just the meaning of your substance, content and argument get lost behind your assumptions of me.

    As a note, I am talking about macroevolution. Microevolution is observable and is totally fine, but I don't think macroevolution and stellar evolution can be proven.
    You didn't express yourself well in your previous posts so I misunderstood your points lol but I see your point now haha
    That is true, evidence for evolution is based on a lot of assumptions and bias, it's probably not even that accurate (not claiming to be a expert, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ) But I feel that even if the theory is inaccurate, we at least got the very basics right (rip if we didn't)
    Our knowledge in science is not always absolute, new discoveries alter the previous knowledge we have, but the fundamental concept is usually do not change (much) imo. I'd prefer believing evolution over creationism because there is at least some evidence backing it up. If creationism got some lit evidence that trumps evolution, I'd convert my beliefs anytime, but other than that I think it's just some make believe story book
    Just my 2 cents tho

    Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sien; 29 Sep 2016 at 8:17 PM.

  2. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sien View Post
    You didn't express yourself well in your previous posts so I misunderstood your points lol but I see your point now haha
    That is true, evidence for evolution is based on a lot of assumptions and bias, it's probably not even that accurate (not claiming to be a expert, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ) But I feel that even if the theory is inaccurate, we at least got the very basics right (rip if we didn't)
    Our knowledge in science is not always absolute, new discoveries alter the previous knowledge we have, but the fundamental concept is usually do not change (much) imo. I'd prefer believing evolution over creationism because there is at least some evidence backing it up. If creationism got some lit evidence that trumps evolution, I'd convert my beliefs anytime, but other than that I think it's just some make believe story book
    Just my 2 cents tho

    Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, and you're entitled to that belief. You will obviously choose whichever theory you believe to have more evidence or whichever you feel more inclined towards (based on your surroundings, education etc.). Thank you for being considerate and being open to discussion in a positive way

  3. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    i think you need to do some more research on pasta if you don't see my point

    adding cheese just solidifies my argument
    See, you've realised that you haven't been able to give substantial information and are now resorting to illogical, irrelevant (i don't even know what to call it).
    At least swallow your pride and realise your approach wasn't the best way to go...
    Flop21 likes this.

  4. #79
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    See, you've realised that you haven't been able to give substantial information and are now resorting to illogical, irrelevant (i don't even know what to call it).
    At least swallow your pride and realise your approach wasn't the best way to go...
    You're a real piece of work aren't you?

    You really want me to do this? Alright let's go. Now YOU need to have the open mind and be willing to learn.

    First off, let's stop assuming things about you and ask how do you think life on earth has come to be the way it is today? If not evolution, what?

    Secondly, why haven't you answered my question?

    How do you explain animals that seemingly appear out of nowhere down the timeline?
    Thirdly, did you watch and read the links I gave you? Be honest. If no, I'll be happy to use them and quote them in response to whatever you say to help explain things.

    And newsflash, scientists don't have to believe in evolution, I know many and have had many science teachers that don't but have to teach it as it is in the syllabus.
    Excuse me? Please give me names of scientists that are like that. And no I don't care about your stupid science teachers who need to go back to school themselves.

    I'm not saying evolution isn't true (it might be) but I don't think it should not be categorized as science, and there is a lot of faith behind evolution (and don't say that believing in God requires more faith, considering that's irrelevant). I believe that evolution is more a belief than science since it can't be proven unless you deduce. If I was to believe in evolution as 'science', there would have to be no missing links, otherwise I'm just having faith in what scientists think they're going to find in the future.
    All scientific theories are based on evidence. If there was evidence that proved it false, then there you go. But that hasn't happened has it? There is evidence proving that evolution exists and has resulted in us and life around us. It's not even close to 'faith' which is something you believe in with NO evidence. Not even a little bit close.

    EDIT: Also I will add, that I'd like you to respond to:

    "if an animal micro-evolves 750 times, its going to be close to unrecognisable from its ancestors, which is macro evolution"

    do you agree or disagree? Personally I think it's just simple logic to be able to understand if something is making slow minor changes over the years, for 3.6 BILLION years, clearly the end product is going to be a LOT different than what we started with. And if you can't put that 3.6 billion years into perspective, take a look at these graphics that may help: http://waitbutwhy.com/2013/08/puttin...rspective.html
    Last edited by Flop21; 29 Sep 2016 at 10:03 PM.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  5. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    The “missing link” is a non-scientific term used typically by (religious) opponents to the theory of evolution; it refers to a believed “gap” in the fossil record demonstrating the evolutionary transition from ape to man, thus establishing that human evolution is not supported by evidence (and so the theory false). This is a popular belief, which gets perpetuated in the mass media, but it is merely a myth which is uncontroversial in the scientific communities. And here are three reasons why this is so:
    1. The fossil record is remarkably full of examples demonstrating the evolution of life and of humans (given how rare fossil formations are). See here. (And the principles of genetic mutation and natural selection of evolution are validated throughout the sciences of biology, genetics, geology, cosmology, and even computer science—in computational genetic algorithms and artificial evolution simulations—making evolution perhaps the most verified fact of all scientific theories. Indeed, it has been demonstrated experimentally in both plants and animals—and in fact, humans have been aware of the truth of such principles for millennia through their experimenting with dogs, breeding desirable traits and evolving various races.)
    2. The theory of evolution does not claim that humans evolved from modern day monkeys, but rather that humans and chimps (and essentially all of life on Earth) share a common ancestry; i.e. if we rewound time back far enough, we would come to a common species from which both lines of modern humans and monkeys split from. (Furthermore, and interestingly, the fossil record demonstrates that there existed many human-like cousins to humanity, which humans perhaps killed off in competition with throughout time. E.g., see here)
    3. The idea of a missing link is nonsense. To understand why this is, think analogously of the “evolution” of a human being throughout his lifetime. It is absurd to challenge the fact that a child evolves (in an informal sense of the word) into a grandparent by demanding an example of the precise moment when a child becomes old. There is no such moment! The progression from childhood to old-age is gradual, and occurs over many decades. Likewise, the evolution of humans occurred, but over much, much greater periods of time—billions of years in all. There is no single moment of humanities origin—there is no first human. And looking for such is illusory.
    So, therefore, I hope I have shed some light on why the “missing link” is not a real concern of scientists. It is because it is a myth irresponsibly perpetuated by those uneducated in science, biology, and the theory of evolution itself. What is of concern, though, is the dishonest agendas of those who propagate such fallacies in the obvious pursuit, not of truth, but in the security of a dogmatic faith. Evolutionary theory is truly, truly fascinating and full of enlightening insights, and it is worth understanding correctly. (For more on evolution, I recommend simply buying a textbook on evolutionary biology; this is the best way to learn any topic.)


    Also, see:
    http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_01
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution
    Free online version of Richard Dawkins famous book, The Selfish Gene, here
    http://lesswrong.com/lw/kr/an_alien_...FWdxQgodpyQArQ
    And evolutionary geneticist Jerry Coyne’s book Why Evolution is True.

  6. #81
    ремове кебаб wannaspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2007
    Uni Grad
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,406
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    In biology, an adaptation, also called an adaptive trait, is a trait with a current functional role in the life of an organism that is maintained and evolved by means of natural selection. Adaptation refers to both the current state of being adapted and to the dynamic evolutionary process that leads to the adaptation.

    thx bye
    Love how you automatically shot me down as if I was a creationist... I was not saying that I disagree with evolution theory... I was saying that both adaptation and evolution exist as individually...

    What you have written is that adaptation exists by itself and can also exist as an evolutionary process...

  7. #82
    Taking a break! dan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South of here
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    This isn't something to argue about. Don't act like a know-it-all and imply I'm wrong when I'm not. Then maybe I would have continued to attempt to educate the person (I was happily and showing her the facts in a friendly way).

    This was never an argument. The girl is so blinded by her own stupidity and stubbornness (how could she or her parents be wrong!!!? I know it's a tough one), she doesn't WANT to listen to people trying to educate her. Nor does she want to educate herself (it's not hard when you have the entire world's knowledge at your fingertips / internet). She thinks she knows better than the collective whole of scientists around the world.

    It's okay to debate things in science, but only if you know your shit. Are you a scientist who is on the cutting edge of research on the topic your talking about? Okay it's okay to start questioning such things. If not, you're just being arrogant and stupid.

    So nah. I'm not going to sit back after all that and make sure I don't hurt anyone's feelings. There are very little people in the world that I don't like, and these are the types of people I don't like. So sucked in if you're offended. It was intentional.
    Sorry I will call a spade, a spade. You don't demonstrate/educate by saying to people they are stupid and/or their parents are stupid. Even if you are not making an argument (which as you claim). You need a better way that resulting to insulting one's family.
    Cyber-bullying is a real thing.

    "It's okay to debate things in science, but only if you know your shit." - what so now science can only be debated by scientists?
    well if we applied that to other topics, then other debates wouldn't exist. I get your point, you should know what you are talking about, but that hardly means there shouldn't be a discussion on ideas. (I get that people don't apply this consistently to other topics, but meh)

    I am hardly offended for the record, it is just not good practice to call people "stupid" even if they are being unreasonable.
    To add, it is hardly reasonable to say that non-scientists to question things or discuss scientific ideas are arrogant or stupid.

    Just some other notes, tone is not something noted on the internet. I've been called "pretentious", "delusional", "arrogant" before; it is hardly a constructive way to actually address what has been said, even if you do disagree with it. I have seen in it the SSM marriage debate (by both sides, 'bigots', 'homophobes' etc.)

    It used to be, the person with the most rational and reasoned evidence was more believable in a clash of different opinions, now it is "if I can label those who oppose me as stupid" then that means my position in right.

    Also, a lot of your reply ignores that, I am simply making a separate observation, which I deemed appropriate after your comment to boredofstudiersuser1. It is not "education" if you are saying:

    A. Well they are stupid, for disagreeing with what is apparently undisputed.
    B. Here are some links.
    C. they are stupid for not looking at the links.

    edit: Your latest reply (above) seems more reasonable.
    Last edited by dan964; 30 Sep 2016 at 12:56 AM.
    hawkrider and Sien like this.

  8. #83
    Taking a break! dan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South of here
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    All scientific theories are based on evidence. If there was evidence that proved it false, then there you go. But that hasn't happened has it? There is evidence proving that evolution exists and has resulted in us and life around us. It's not even close to 'faith' which is something you believe in with NO evidence. Not even a little bit close.
    strawman: Faith is not belief with lack of evidence.

    I'll see if I can look in also separately into those links, if you want

  9. #84
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by wannaspoon View Post
    Love how you automatically shot me down as if I was a creationist... I was not saying that I disagree with evolution theory... I was saying that both adaptation and evolution exist as individually...

    What you have written is that adaptation exists by itself and can also exist as an evolutionary process...
    Mate I didn't say anything I just pasted off wiki

  10. #85
    ремове кебаб wannaspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2007
    Uni Grad
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,406
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    I'll just leave this cancer here...


  11. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    675
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen Part 2:


  12. #87
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan964 View Post
    Sorry I will call a spade, a spade. You don't demonstrate/educate by saying to people they are stupid and/or their parents are stupid. Even if you are not making an argument (which as you claim). You need a better way that resulting to insulting one's family.
    Cyber-bullying is a real thing.

    "It's okay to debate things in science, but only if you know your shit." - what so now science can only be debated by scientists?
    well if we applied that to other topics, then other debates wouldn't exist. I get your point, you should know what you are talking about, but that hardly means there shouldn't be a discussion on ideas. (I get that people don't apply this consistently to other topics, but meh)

    I am hardly offended for the record, it is just not good practice to call people "stupid" even if they are being unreasonable.
    To add, it is hardly reasonable to say that non-scientists to question things or discuss scientific ideas are arrogant or stupid.

    Just some other notes, tone is not something noted on the internet. I've been called "pretentious", "delusional", "arrogant" before; it is hardly a constructive way to actually address what has been said, even if you do disagree with it. I have seen in it the SSM marriage debate (by both sides, 'bigots', 'homophobes' etc.)

    It used to be, the person with the most rational and reasoned evidence was more believable in a clash of different opinions, now it is "if I can label those who oppose me as stupid" then that means my position in right.

    Also, a lot of your reply ignores that, I am simply making a separate observation, which I deemed appropriate after your comment to boredofstudiersuser1. It is not "education" if you are saying:

    A. Well they are stupid, for disagreeing with what is apparently undisputed.
    B. Here are some links.
    C. they are stupid for not looking at the links.

    edit: Your latest reply (above) seems more reasonable.
    Dan buddy, you're going backwards. I feel like I've already addressed this. In fact the post you replied to makes it very clear.

    And no I'm not changing what I said. You can't debate a topic you know very little about. Else it breeds people like Pauline Hanson talking about climate change, which she clearly doesn't know a thing about. These people can then spread their dangerous ideas (anti vaxxers are another example), so YES they have to be stopped. And boy do they deserve MORE than just a little insulting.

    It's also a big thing to have someone who is not a scientist going AGAINST the beliefs of the collective science world. YES I would call that arrogant and stupid, are you serious right now??

    Not everyone in this world is entitled to their own precious opinion. And their opinion doesn't have the right to NOT be criticised.
    Last edited by Flop21; 30 Sep 2016 at 12:22 PM.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  13. #88
    将来: NEET Sien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    大学入試地獄
    Posts
    2,218
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    Dan buddy, you're going backwards. I feel like I've already addressed this. In fact the post you replied to makes it very clear.

    And no I'm not changing what I said. You can't debate a topic you know very little about. Else it breeds people like Pauline Hanson talking about climate change, which she clearly doesn't know a thing about. These people can then spread their dangerous ideas (anti vaxxers are another example), so YES they have to be stopped. And boy do they deserve MORE than just a little insulting.

    It's also a big thing to have someone who is not a scientist going AGAINST the beliefs of the collective science world. YES I would call that arrogant and stupid, are you serious right now??

    Not everyone in this world is entitled to their own precious opinion. And their opinion doesn't have the right to NOT be criticised.
    I don't want to get killed by you hahah but when you're arguing your point, you should never insult the opposite party esp their family, you don't even know them to talk smack. Although bored may have some misunderstood knowledge about evolution, I'm not claiming to be an expert either, I think you should see it from her perspective too. It's not like bored isn't willing to take in new information and she has reasoned why she doesn't believe evolution, perhaps your explanation wasn't convincing enough for her idk

    It seems like in most threads if the person isn't convinced with your point within a few posts you seem to get really emotionally charged, not saying having a strong opinion is wrong but I think it's better to just relax a little bit

    Again I'm not telling you what to do, that's up to you

    Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    dan964 likes this.

  14. #89
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    1,684
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Definition of Gender: The state of being male or female

    Therefore, Gender exists.

  15. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sien View Post
    I don't want to get killed by you hahah but when you're arguing your point, you should never insult the opposite party esp their family, you don't even know them to talk smack. Although bored may have some misunderstood knowledge about evolution, I'm not claiming to be an expert either, I think you should see it from her perspective too. It's not like bored isn't willing to take in new information and she has reasoned why she doesn't believe evolution, perhaps your explanation wasn't convincing enough for her idk

    It seems like in most threads if the person isn't convinced with your point within a few posts you seem to get really emotionally charged, not saying having a strong opinion is wrong but I think it's better to just relax a little bit

    Again I'm not telling you what to do, that's up to you

    Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, you made my day

  16. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    Dan buddy, you're going backwards. I feel like I've already addressed this. In fact the post you replied to makes it very clear.

    And no I'm not changing what I said. You can't debate a topic you know very little about. Else it breeds people like Pauline Hanson talking about climate change, which she clearly doesn't know a thing about. These people can then spread their dangerous ideas (anti vaxxers are another example), so YES they have to be stopped. And boy do they deserve MORE than just a little insulting.

    It's also a big thing to have someone who is not a scientist going AGAINST the beliefs of the collective science world. YES I would call that arrogant and stupid, are you serious right now??

    Not everyone in this world is entitled to their own precious opinion. And their opinion doesn't have the right to NOT be criticised.
    How do you know you're not misinformed about these issues? Just because people don't agree with your opinion, doesn't mean they're wrong... there are studies showing that global warming doesn't exist and vaccines haven't been proven to work... I think your thinking is that your views are right until proven wrong and that other views are wrong until proven right... in order to be able to discuss properly, standards have to be kept the same for all opinions, wrong until proven right. Just a way we can discuss in a more logical environment

    EDIT: Also, Pauline Hanson doesn't hammer issues on global warming all the time anyway, and how do you know she's misinformed? Just because she isn't a certified scientist doesn't mean she doesn't know what she's talking about. I'm not agreeing with her, I'm just pointing this out.

  17. #92
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    How do you know you're not misinformed about these issues? Just because people don't agree with your opinion, doesn't mean they're wrong... there are studies showing that global warming doesn't exist and vaccines haven't been proven to work... I think your thinking is that your views are right until proven wrong and that other views are wrong until proven right... in order to be able to discuss properly, standards have to be kept the same for all opinions, wrong until proven right. Just a way we can discuss in a more logical environment

    EDIT: Also, Pauline Hanson doesn't hammer issues on global warming all the time anyway, and how do you know she's misinformed? Just because she isn't a certified scientist doesn't mean she doesn't know what she's talking about. I'm not agreeing with her, I'm just pointing this out.
    AND after all that, she doesn't even reply to my post. You complained about me not discussing this with you properly, yet you plain ignore my discussion and go on about some other BS.

    Please everyone take a look at this:

    there are studies showing that global warming doesn't exist and vaccines haven't been proven to work...
    just look at that


    -

    You seem to have it backwards. These aren't my 'opinions' these are FACTS that the whole science world considers CORRECT. So YES, YOU the one disagreeing with the collective whole have to prove yourself RIGHT and me WRONG. What do you expect me to do? Link you thousands of papers of research on these topics? Is this a joke?

    Like I said, you seem to have this skewed view of the world that all opinions are equal. They're not.

    I'm going to stop replying to you unless you have something of substance to say in response to my previous post with the questions I had for you. Because I think queenroot was right, you are a troll (at least that's what I'll be telling myself to make it easier than knowing someone like you exists in real life).
    Mansuhn likes this.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  18. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    You're a real piece of work aren't you?

    You really want me to do this? Alright let's go. Now YOU need to have the open mind and be willing to learn.

    First off, let's stop assuming things about you and ask how do you think life on earth has come to be the way it is today? If not evolution, what?

    Secondly, why haven't you answered my question?



    Thirdly, did you watch and read the links I gave you? Be honest. If no, I'll be happy to use them and quote them in response to whatever you say to help explain things.



    Excuse me? Please give me names of scientists that are like that. And no I don't care about your stupid science teachers who need to go back to school themselves.



    All scientific theories are based on evidence. If there was evidence that proved it false, then there you go. But that hasn't happened has it? There is evidence proving that evolution exists and has resulted in us and life around us. It's not even close to 'faith' which is something you believe in with NO evidence. Not even a little bit close.

    EDIT: Also I will add, that I'd like you to respond to:

    "if an animal micro-evolves 750 times, its going to be close to unrecognisable from its ancestors, which is macro evolution"

    do you agree or disagree? Personally I think it's just simple logic to be able to understand if something is making slow minor changes over the years, for 3.6 BILLION years, clearly the end product is going to be a LOT different than what we started with. And if you can't put that 3.6 billion years into perspective, take a look at these graphics that may help: http://waitbutwhy.com/2013/08/puttin...rspective.html
    Ok, I now have time to answer this...

    Firstly, I don't see how my belief as to how the world came into being is relevant to the discussion of evolution as I haven't brought in external belief factors to my arguments. I don't think there is enough solid evidence for any theory and therefore I am still investigating. Also, if something like evolution is true, and we don't have souls or there is no after-life, I don't see how knowing that we are evolving is important to us, we're going to turn into a pile of dirt anyway.

    Secondly, I don't understand what 'animals appearing seemingly out of nowhere in the timeline' even means. How do we know they didn't exist before then and that we just don't have fossils further back than the times we believe they existed? Scientists don't know what they haven't found yet (obviously) and therefore there is no need for further explanation to this question. Feel free to ask more about this if need be.

    Thirdly, yes I did read the links but it's about the 'evidence' I've already learnt about. You can still use and quote them in response to what I say if you feel it to be fit to do so.

    In order to answer your question on the scientists that don't believe in evolution, we need to define what a scientist is. (Also, does not agreeing with you mean they're stupid? lol) I found this article that I think explains it well (if you scroll down a bit):

    http://www.scienceagainstevolution.org/v5i10f.htm

    Feel free to ask more about this.

    Ok, your second last question is a bit, to me, dumb and illogical. Just because something hasn't been proven wrong doesn't mean it's not wrong... This is an Argument from Ignorance (logical fallacy) and has no bearing on the argument. It's as if I said that unicorns exist, and you can't tell me otherwise unless you can prove they don't exist. And just because we haven't found one, doesn't mean they don't exist (they could just be really good at hiding). Same with God. What if I said he exists, and he has to exist unless you can prove he doesn't? Also, there are parts of evolution that have been proven to be wrong. If you are interested in seeing a creationist argue evolution (this guy is one of the best I've seen), then please check out:

    Kent Hovind - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szBTl3S24MY

    Please disregard his external life as it is a completely different topic and look at what he says. I completely understand if you don't listen to him, and you ignore it. He is not a creationist who just says 'The bible is true and that's why evolution doesn't exist' and he actually gives evidence as to why it is wrong. He also answers questions on YouTube regarding different aspects of evolution. DISCLAIMER: Just because I endorse what he says in regards to evolution does not mean I believe everything he does/says.

    For your EDIT, we have to agree that the world is 3.6 BILLION years old. I don't believe so, as I don't think there's enough evidence to prove this and I don't think carbon dating the way they believe it does. In addition, no I don't think they would change completely, minor adjustments and adaptations only take place when need be, not every day, just when they change environments, habitats et. cetera. As to your most recent post, I didn't respond because I hadn't seen this post + I needed to find a lump of time to be able to answer it all.

    Also, "I'll keep telling myself that", how do you know you're not doing that with evolution? Instead of believing it because it's proven, you believe it because it seems like the most comfortable thing to believe?
    Last edited by boredofstudiesuser1; 30 Sep 2016 at 6:33 PM.

  19. #94
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Ok, I now have time to answer this...

    Firstly, I don't see how my belief as to how the world came into being is relevant to the discussion of evolution as I haven't brought in external belief factors to my arguments. I don't think there is enough solid evidence for any theory and therefore I am still investigating. Also, if something like evolution is true, and we don't have souls or there is no after-life, I don't see how knowing that we are evolving is important to us, we're going to turn into a pile of dirt anyway.
    Not sure wtf you're talking about. Can you not read? "how do you think life on earth has come to be the way it is today" was the question. Evolution is the current consensus. And you're disagreeing, so what do you think if not evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Secondly, I don't understand what 'animals appearing seemingly out of nowhere in the timeline' even means. How do we know they didn't exist before then and that we just don't have fossils further back than the times we believe they existed? Scientists don't know what they haven't found yet (obviously) and therefore there is no need for further explanation to this question. Feel free to ask more about this if need be.
    Do you understand how fossils work? The older fossils are on the bottom, the newer fossils are on the top. Evolution explains what I said to you, the thing has evolved over time to be something very different to what it once was. But to you, it must be like it's appeared out of nowhere. Like I've already said, e.g. the modern horse fossil. You won't find a horse fossil that looks like the horse we know today dated older than ~17 million or so years ago will you? (most people realise that it's because it has evolved to the horse we know today, it wasn't always like that), but how do you explain no horse fossil like the one we know today >17 million years old?

    Don't you think it's extremely unlikely out of all the fossils we've found that are older than that, that we just haven't found that modern horse fossil?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    In order to answer your question on the scientists that don't believe in evolution, we need to define what a scientist is. (Also, does not agreeing with you mean they're stupid? lol) I found this article that I think explains it well (if you scroll down a bit):

    http://www.scienceagainstevolution.org/v5i10f.htm

    Feel free to ask more about this.
    Please answer the question directly. Give me a name. Someone who studies some sort of biological science (preferably holds a PhD) and is alive.

    I'll give you a hint, I don't think many if any exists. That's a MASSIVELY small percentage of scientists isn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    For your EDIT, we have to agree that the world is 3.6 BILLION years old. I don't believe so, as I don't think there's enough evidence to prove this and I don't think carbon dating the way they believe it does.
    Can't understand what you said about carbon dating, "I don't think carbon dating the way they believe it does", no idea what this means.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  20. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    AND after all that, she doesn't even reply to my post. You complained about me not discussing this with you properly, yet you plain ignore my discussion and go on about some other BS.

    Please everyone take a look at this:



    just look at that


    -

    You seem to have it backwards. These aren't my 'opinions' these are FACTS that the whole science world considers CORRECT. So YES, YOU the one disagreeing with the collective whole have to prove yourself RIGHT and me WRONG. What do you expect me to do? Link you thousands of papers of research on these topics? Is this a joke?

    Like I said, you seem to have this skewed view of the world that all opinions are equal. They're not.

    I'm going to stop replying to you unless you have something of substance to say in response to my previous post with the questions I had for you. Because I think queenroot was right, you are a troll (at least that's what I'll be telling myself to make it easier than knowing someone like you exists in real life).
    I think this is the first thing we agree on. I don't think all opinions are equal and I think there are right/wrong answers for everything. I also think you need clear evidence for those answers in order to know whether they're right or wrong. I like the fact that you believe that there are absolutes in regards to opinions I just really hate the way you say things, but I can't change you so why bother.

    Appeal to majority, just because heaps of people believe something doesn't make it true. You use this quite a lot for some reason.

    A problem in our discussion is that I think you think (lol) that I'm arguing evolution isn't true, whereas what I'm saying is that there is not enough evidence for it to be deemed as science. Therefore, we are discussing 2 different things. Evolution might be true, but currently there is nothing that I believe completely proves it, it seems like a logical theory in regards to what they have discovered, but that's due to the speculations and things that have been put into the links to make it seem complete. I believe it is another set of beliefs.

    Just a question regarding the fact you believe that there are right & wrong opinions... if evolution is true, what decides what is right or wrong? Shouldn't there be moral relativism if it is true? You can't have a clear definition of right and wrong with a 'scientific' origin.

  21. #96
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    I think this is the first thing we agree on. I don't think all opinions are equal and I think there are right/wrong answers for everything. I also think you need clear evidence for those answers in order to know whether they're right or wrong. I like the fact that you believe that there are absolutes in regards to opinions I just really hate the way you say things, but I can't change you so why bother.

    Appeal to majority, just because heaps of people believe something doesn't make it true. You use this quite a lot for some reason.

    A problem in our discussion is that I think you think (lol) that I'm arguing evolution isn't true, whereas what I'm saying is that there is not enough evidence for it to be deemed as science. Therefore, we are discussing 2 different things. Evolution might be true, but currently there is nothing that I believe completely proves it, it seems like a logical theory in regards to what they have discovered, but that's due to the speculations and things that have been put into the links to make it seem complete. I believe it is another set of beliefs.

    Just a question regarding the fact you believe that there are right & wrong opinions... if evolution is true, what decides what is right or wrong? Shouldn't there be moral relativism if it is true? You can't have a clear definition of right and wrong with a 'scientific' origin.
    With your logic, nothing is science because nothing can be completely true in your eyes.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  22. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    With your logic, nothing is science because nothing can be completely true in your eyes.
    What??? This is a complete generalisation. You have not spoken to me enough to know my views on other subjects/topics and therefore can't make that judgment. Before you say that I don't respond to your posts, I'm in the process of writing up for the one above.

  23. #98
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    What??? This is a complete generalisation. You have not spoken to me enough to know my views on other subjects/topics and therefore can't make that judgment. Before you say that I don't respond to your posts, I'm in the process of writing up for the one above.
    No need. I'm done thanks. I can't handle your stupidity any longer.

    That's the end of my responses.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  24. #99
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    What??? This is a complete generalisation. You have not spoken to me enough to know my views on other subjects/topics and therefore can't make that judgment. Before you say that I don't respond to your posts, I'm in the process of writing up for the one above.
    Mate go study or something HSC is in a few weeks

  25. #100
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is there such a thing as Gender?

    Wouldn't want to fail bio if I were u

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •