Is there such a thing as Gender? (1 Viewer)

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Okay a few things:
A- evolution is true, it's observable fact.
Hey look! A two minute video where you can watch the evolution of bacteria to be resistant to antibiotics!: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=plVk4NVIUh8

B- men and women have different shaped and structured brains (obviously with massive variation though), this drives emotions, hormonal response, etc, transgender people (and this isn't the sjw 'I'm non-binary and transgender') have brain structure similar to those of the opposite sex, causing them to have the experience of the other sex whilst having the 'wriong' body. Due to this, they experience extreme gender dysphoria and the feeling that they are in the wrong body. Being Transgender is a diagnosable, scientifically supported phenomena which people who believe gender is a social construct are misusing.
One of the studies showing this: http://www.journalofpsychiatricresearch.com/article/S0022-3956(10)00325-0/abstract

C- what does evolution have to do with anything? How does that have any relivancy?
A - That's not evolution, it's adaptation (not the same thing)
B - You can't even prove this. The differences in the brain could be linked to something else...
C - If part B were to be true, how does evolution make this happen?

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Don't you guys agree Gender is more of a social contruct? Other thing I like to point I don't agree with how sites such as this one pressure you into selecting a gender when you sign up.

There is no gender. Yes there is sex (female, male, etc.) according to Biology but it's rediculous to think that one can "identify" as a single sex. We are all the same, the only differences between men and women are physical. All humans are incredibly different mentally, therefore they should not fit into two arbitrary groups like these one and neither are we physically tied to any one culture’s version of gender roles.

What are your thoughts?
i get what you're saying and often have discussions about it with friends that often lead us in circles and end up nowhere. I do not wish to cause offence if I do, I'm not the most eloquent. i hope what i write makes some sort of sense

gender often gets very muddled with gender roles because they are both ingrained in one another. Even the words 'male' and 'female' connote a particular type of person of personality, while gender roles would not exist without gender in the first place.

some people argue that 'there is no gender' because although people's sex has differences, gender is what you identify as and what you make of it. i.e you can be more of a 'feminine male' and but it still means you identify as male. You can still do whatever you want and not adhere to gender roles, and therefore gender is essentially a personal choice - non-existent in society. I often want to think there is no gender, or that there are no differences in gender (not gender roles), however... the existence of transgender people often nullifies this argument completely.

Maybe its because I personally feel comfortable in my gender, but I cannot personally understand how transgender or gender dysphoric people feel. But the simple facts and statistics show that transgender people do face incredible issues being the wrong gender and that for many, transitioning is key to mental health. Thus, it is obvious that there is some thing that is so important to people that makes them need to transition... something that feels so wrong. Some people are luckily born in the correct gender, others are not.

if there is no gender, why are there so many people who struggle through life everyday being the wrong gender?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m fucking retarded but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

Flop21

HSC
A - That's not evolution, it's adaptation (not the same thing)
B - You can't even prove this. The differences in the brain could be linked to something else...
C - If part B were to be true, how does evolution make this happen?

A - They are adapting through evolution. The basic principles of evolution is being demonstrated in that video. The bacteria that have a genetic mutation that allows them to survive the drug, allows them to survive, and thus reproduce (produce more bacteria with that mutation), repeat for the next set of drugs. The ones that cannot survive the drug?? They die and DO NOT reproduce. Hence you can see that over time you will have more bacteria with this survival mutation.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this.

I don't understand what you both are talking about in B and C.

Flop21

HSC
They're not going to be growing limbs and turning into humans... they're just adapting and becoming stronger

Adaptation stays within the species, evolution is things changing kinds completely.
What has your first sentence got to do with evolution being demonstrated with bacteria and antibiotics?

Your second sentence doesn't make sense. Evolution can result in traits that stay in the same species. The peppered moth became more dark during the industrial revolution, but it's still the same insect.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
What has your first sentence got to do with evolution being demonstrated with bacteria and antibiotics?

Your second sentence doesn't make sense. Evolution can result in traits that stay in the same species. The peppered moth became more dark during the industrial revolution, but it's still the same insect.
Well then it's not evolution, it's just adaptation.
My first sentence is pretty self-explanatory... The bacteria are not a form of evidence for evolutionary process (where things come from common ancestors (whales, humans etc.) and is just a simple observable adaptation.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
A - They are adapting through evolution. The basic principles of evolution is being demonstrated in that video. The bacteria that have a genetic mutation that allows them to survive the drug, allows them to survive, and thus reproduce (produce more bacteria with that mutation), repeat for the next set of drugs. The ones that cannot survive the drug?? They die and DO NOT reproduce. Hence you can see that over time you will have more bacteria with this survival mutation.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this.

I don't understand what you both are talking about in B and C.
No, I get it but thanks.
It still doesn't prove how kinds have changed into different kinds, even if it is gradual. These bacteria are always bacteria, just adapted to their surroundings. Natural Selection is not a form of evidence for evolution, it's just how species can survive to become suited to their environment, but they are still going to be that kind. Doesn't prove anything.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m fucking retarded but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

Flop21

HSC
Well then it's not evolution, it's just adaptation.
My first sentence is pretty self-explanatory... The bacteria are not a form of evidence for evolutionary process (where things come from common ancestors (whales, humans etc.) and is just a simple observable adaptation.
But you've just witnessed how something can change? That bacteria has just SURVIVED a drug that KILLED most of it. Do you not realise that for something to get from a late common ancestor to something today... it must undergo multiple changes over a long period of time? Do you not see that that CHANGE that we just witnessed shows how that can occur?

And adaptation is a part of evolution.

EDIT: Also I sense you don't really understand evolution. That's okay, as long as you're willing to learn.

Here are some good places to start learning:

video

link 2

Last edited:

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
But you've just witnessed how something can change? That bacteria has just SURVIVED a drug that KILLED most of it. Do you not realise that for something to get from a late common ancestor to something today... it must undergo multiple changes over a long period of time? Do you not see that that CHANGE that we just witnessed shows how that can occur?

And adaptation is a part of evolution.

EDIT: Also I sense you don't really understand evolution. That's okay, as long as you're willing to learn.

Here are some good places to start learning:

video

link 2
Ok, explain why I don't understand evolution. Maybe it'll make me understand better.

Flop21

HSC
Ok, explain why I don't understand evolution. Maybe it'll make me understand better.
what?????

I don't know what you don't understand. You need to find that out yourself. I've already told you what's wrong about what you've said on here though.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
what?????

I don't know what you don't understand. You need to find that out yourself. I've already told you what's wrong about what you've said on here though.
Adaptation is seen as a part of evolution but can be standalone. Evolution has just kinda 'embraced' it. The change does not mean that it was a completely different kind years ago... that's not observable. It just means it has changed within its kind but is still bacteria. The purpose of it will still stay the same, just stronger and better at what it does.

I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this conversation (you can continue and I will reply and be open-minded but I won't engage that much). I appreciate your time and willingness. :)

Flop21

HSC
Adaptation is seen as a part of evolution but can be standalone. Evolution has just kinda 'embraced' it. The change does not mean that it was a completely different kind years ago... that's not observable. It just means it has changed within its kind but is still bacteria. The purpose of it will still stay the same, just stronger and better at what it does.

I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this conversation (you can continue and I will reply and be open-minded but I won't engage that much). I appreciate your time and willingness. :)
Because not only are you ignorant and uneducated, you are unwilling to learn? That is one of the worst kinds of things a person can be.

You're literally a drain on humanity. You truly don't deserve to reap the rewards science has given you if you're going to 'choose' not to believe in it. If you have been taught this from your parents, they're the same. Utterly disgusting.

You are not making ONE bit of sense. Please only open your mouth if you're going to use your brain and logic.

-

Also it is observable, have you ever looked at a fossil? LITERALLY physical, hard, evidence? How stupid can you be?

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC

Not sure if troll or just misinformed about evolution lmao

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)