P-Plate Restrictions (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thank god I can get my full license when I go home.... yay no more Ps, even though I never used to put them on my car when I was home on hols anyway!

But I don't think the one passenger thing is too bad, because it only applies after you have had your licence disqualified, so only after you have done something naughty. Before when they were talking about making that the rule for everyone which would have sucked big time.

The whole restricting the engine size is a bit stupid, because as they said heaps of people who live on farms only own high powered cars.

I still stand by my original statement- if you are a dickhead driver, you will continue to drive like an ass no matter what the rules are- it is those that follow the rules who will suffer, not the idiots who don't give a shit.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The one passenger thing only applies to P platers who have been suspended, at least that is what I have been lead to believe. I don't have a problem with it.

And p platers have no business driving supercharged or modified cars at all anyway, and unless you need a v8 for work purposes you don't need that either. I think the restrictions are very fair.

mishka

HSC
N/A
i heard that these restrictions do not apply to those who already have p plates. so therefore, all the idiots currently on the road don't have to abide by these conditions, but those who get them in the future are affected by these people :confused:

to even out the playing field, why don't they get ALL licenced drivers to take a road rules test. i think they should have to every time they renew their licence. that way, they are made aware of rules that have been imposed since they got their licences. :uhhuh:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
mishka said:
to even out the playing field, why don't they get ALL licenced drivers to take a road rules test. i think they should have to every time they renew their licence. that way, they are made aware of rules that have been imposed since they got their licences. :uhhuh:
Because it's not feasible. When getting my P's the test was booked out for 6 weeks. If there is that much of a wait with just L platers and over 85 year olds going for the test imagine how long it would be it everyone had to do it.

And another problem I think is that too many people would fail. Not only do a lot of people not know how to drive, but plenty of decent drivers would screw up on the observation. It would cause too much of a mess because so many people would be unable to renew their licences. It's a problem better left unfixed.

mishka

HSC
N/A
i didn't mean everyone at the same time, only when they have to renew their licence.

something like the final test you do before you go on your full licence - that one with road rules and hazard perception. i think it would encourage people to read up on their road rules, and then that way there is no excuse for p platers to hide behind. if everyone's knowledge of the road rules was monitored using the same parameters, there would *logically* be safer driving on the roads.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
it gives me faith in the system that the government at least partially listened to the voice of young people cf:curfew, lessening of 1 passenger rule

iamsickofyear12

HSC
mishka said:
i didn't mean everyone at the same time, only when they have to renew their licence.

something like the final test you do before you go on your full licence - that one with road rules and hazard perception. i think it would encourage people to read up on their road rules, and then that way there is no excuse for p platers to hide behind. if everyone's knowledge of the road rules was monitored using the same parameters, there would *logically* be safer driving on the roads.
People would still fail. Most would be too lazy to read up on the rules, so would fail continually. And it still wouldn't stop the bad drviers like the p's test would.

mishka

HSC
N/A
if people are too lazy to read up on some *current* road rules they don't deserve the privelege.

it might not stop all bad drivers, but i certainly think it would make them aware that times (and rules) have changed.

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
i agree with thje rules, who needs to drive a supercharged or turbo car anyway,
tho that being said, my 1983 4 cylinder corona can still do 140 k's an hour prettily easily....

the passanger one for those that have had their licenses suspended is ok, but if it was for everyone it would suck big time, especially those working full time that car pool..

iamsickofyear12

HSC
waddle_828 said:
the passanger one for those that have had their licenses suspended is ok, but if it was for everyone it would suck big time, especially those working full time that car pool..
Yeah it just makes no sense to limit every p plater to one passenger. Instead of 4 p platers going to uni in the 1 car, you'd have to have at least 2 cars, amd multiply that by the amount of people that get lifts with other p platers.

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Yeah it just makes no sense to limit every p plater to one passenger. Instead of 4 p platers going to uni in the 1 car, you'd have to have at least 2 cars, amd multiply that by the amount of people that get lifts with other p platers.
i think going out at night for people that have previously lost it would be a good place for restrictions, but during the day should be ok.

besides less cars= less traffic, less smog etc..

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Meh neither of those new rules will affect me so not too bothered. If they were gonna limit all P-platers to one passenger then I would be hella pissed off.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
The argument the NRMA makes about powerful cars is bullshit. What about people with only one car? Fair enough if that one car has to be powerful (for farming, towing etc.) but if you've got enough money to buy a high-powered car (or a 4by) "just because", then you can't complain that you don't have enough money to buy a less-powerful one.

Captain pi

HSC
Riddles said:
this sucks big time, but at least there's no curfew for us. and that high-powered thing, there's nothing stopping p-platers taking off their plates and driving V8's or whatever
Except that failing to adequately display P plates attracts fines and demerit points.

iamsickofyear12 said:
Studies have shown that the probability of a teenage driver being involved in a motor vehicle accident increases exponentially the number of teenagers in the car.
It does make sense.

shortie_689

HSC
OK, yes i think these restrictions are a good idea they are going to help to prevent the huge amounts of accidents that we have on our roads these days...
But I see dilemmas how are they going to police this, at the RTA in Chatswood you pick up your own plates so if u could only have one passenger you could use your old plates or the plates left lieing around or more so steal plates from someone else... What about the people that already have cars under this category who now have to go get a new one, or someone who drives their family car but now cant drive the family car cause its not allowed the family who may not have the money cant buy a new car therefore the driver not gettin the experience...
I just think if you are going to enforce some rules they should go the whole way instead of stoppin and leaving some loop holes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)