• don't care

Votes: 17 6.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
Should abortions be illegal?...should there be tougher laws? ....or should we keep the laws we have now?

well in my opinion we should keep our current laws....I'm against abortions but that's my opinion and it should not affect the choices of other ppl....isn't it weird that the ppl who want tougher laws for abortions like Tony abbot are nearly all males?....that's crap! do they ever have to carry babies? do they have to go through 9 months of pregnancy?do they have to experience child birth?...NOOO!

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
well, considering i don't really know our current abortion laws...so i can't really say much. but, i don't think abortion is something that needs to be illegal, and tougher laws in regards to what part of abortion - i'm not sure? so i'll just vote for current laws

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
see this debate pisses me off...the face that the majority of people that want to make it illegal are MALES.........MALES who DONT HAVE BABIES.. males who dont have uteruses....... who the hell are they to judge whether we need abortions or not...

argh it pisses me off

and to that guyon the news that said that its the FEMALES fault if we fall pregnant unexpectedly... ok iwont say it, its abusive...

but im PISSED OFF over this

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Additionally abortion is based on sound legal grounds.
I agree that abortion should be legal, however "sound legal grounds" may be debatable

Roe v Wade essentially asserts that there is a constitutional right to privacy, and that this includes a woman's decision about giving birth or not. The same principle might arguably be applied to the unborn. Now the reason it was not applied to the unborn (ignoring policy, which I suppose was the most significant influence) was that the 14th ammendment did not define a citizen of the US as unborn --

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
However, there is an additional part to the first section which reads --

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Note the change in reference after the first semi-colon to person, and not citizen. Why then is it necessary for the citizen definition previously mentioned to govern the requirement that the state shall not deprive any person of (inter alia) life, and by implication and through the already established right of privacy? Perhaps someone as pedantic can enlighten me..

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
_muse_ said:
see this debate pisses me off...the face that the majority of people that want to make it illegal are MALES.........MALES who DONT HAVE BABIES.. males who dont have uteruses....... who the hell are they to judge whether we need abortions or not...

argh it pisses me off

and to that guyon the news that said that its the FEMALES fault if we fall pregnant unexpectedly... ok iwont say it, its abusive...

but im PISSED OFF over this

i agree that anyone that does not own a uterus has no right to make these decisions...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ranger Stacie said:
i agree that anyone that does not own a uterus has no right to make these decisions...
I don't think that is the way to argue it - it might equally be said for example that one does not "own" the unborn

K

katie_tully

Laws wont be changed. It's open for debate, but that's as far as it will go. The only people supporting the motion for it to be illegal are fat, balding, middle aged men who see it as their duty to interfere with the lives of others.

Go find something better to do.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being concerned about the lives of children, unborn or otherwise. Here's an idea - abortion should only be legal up to the absolute earliest time a foetus has been proven to survive birth.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Abortion is a medical procedure carried out between doctor and patient. Politicians and the general public have no right to judge anything. These 'anti' abortion views are religious and in a such growing secular society it shouldn't come into such issues.

SEPARATE CHURCH AND STATE!

Generator

HSC
N/A
I was under the impression that late term abortions were only performed following the development of medical complications?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Abbott is considering the life of the unborn child. A lot of his politics is repulsive, but his beliefs in regards to protecthing unborn children is commendable. Perhaps we may disagree, but we have to at least commend him for having best intentions in his policy.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
One good thing was published about Abbot in my local paper the other day

He went out saved someone from the surf

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
ok this is how the law should be

Abortions for all! [crowd boos]
Very well, Abortions for none! [crowd boos]
Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others! [crowd cheers]

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
obviously u cant enforce a law where its illegal to have an abortion..in australia esp
so it myt as well stay the way it is
even tho..i say no abortions..
maybe ppl will think twice b4 having unprotected sex etc..etc..
but yeah..

berghousemaa

HSC
What exactly is Abbot's position on abortion. Does he just want to reopen the dabate or is he strictly against it?
I think it should be re examined. To me the best rule for when an unborn becomes a person is the earliest time time thta it can be removed and remain alive, not just die 2 hours later.
And with medical advances thta age is getting smaller and smaller, therefore I think it should be looked into. However I am ignorant as to when you are allowed to abort and such so, I don't know.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
soha said:
obviously u cant enforce a law where its illegal to have an abortion..in australia esp
so it myt as well stay the way it is
even tho..i say no abortions..
maybe ppl will think twice b4 having unprotected sex etc..etc..
but yeah..
but then again its not always unprotected sex that does it.. wat about rape victims.. alot of them have abortions, or the breaking of a condom... umm... there are LOADS of reasons why people get pregnant

not everyone can afford a baby and not everyone can afford to be pregnant for 9 months then give it up for adoption (e.g. school kids)
it just pisses me off that the majority of people fighting for abortions to be illegal are men.. 3/4 of the time, men dont have a choice in whether the woman gets an abortion or not. They tried to ban abortions in the 70s and look wat happened, mass protests etc...

if the government want to illegalise abortions then us women are going to have to resort to doing it ourselves with bicycle spokes.. worried about peoples health dear government? then worry about that.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Standing by and allowing an abortion to happen is tantamount to aiding and abetting murder. That's the reality of it.

K

katie_tully

Phanatical said:
Standing by and allowing an abortion to happen is tantamount to aiding and abetting murder. That's the reality of it.
Do you eat eggs?

You do realise the only difference between a chicken embryo, and a human embryo is that the chicken egg will only produce a chicken if the egg is incubated. The human embryo needs a vessel (the mother) to grow.

Are you saying that women who choose to have an abortion are murderers?

It's people like you who need to stay out of this debate. Irrational extremists with no respect for the decisions and morality of other people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)