• don't care

Votes: 17 6.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

berghousemaa

HSC
Phanatical said:
Standing by and allowing an abortion to happen is tantamount to aiding and abetting murder. That's the reality of it.
My word you're a freak.

K

katie_tully

Seriously, it is beyond my comprehension how people percieve abortion.
It bewilders me even more that people put it down to irresponsible women not having protected sex, considering women with their tubes tied have often become pregnant.
It's further beyond my grasp as to why people have the audacity to say who is right and who is wrong when it comes to their own body, and their own life.
What really confuses me is that some people are under the impression their views are more correct than others, on a topic that, unless faced with this particular situation, does not concern them.

You don't believe in abortion? Good. Don't have one.
Don't dare criticise those who do, or feel that it is any of your business as to why people choose to have an abortion.
Definately do not feel you have the right to assume people who have an abortion are doing it lightly, and do not consider all the consequences.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
berghousemaa said:
My word you're a freak.
conservatism breeds many, many freaks.
shit I hit the wrong option there (so minus the one vote from the current six) - I think we should keep the existing laws. I mean think of the rape victims. enough said, if you don't get the point of that I'm not going to waste energy explaining it all to you.

HSC
katie_tully said:
It bewilders me even more that people put it down to irresponsible women not having protected sex, considering women with their tubes tied have often become pregnant.
It's further beyond my grasp as to why people have the audacity to say who is right and who is wrong when it comes to their own body, and their own life.
What really confuses me is that some people are under the impression their views are more correct than others, on a topic that, unless faced with this particular situation, does not concern them.

Don't dare criticise those who do, or feel that it is any of your business as to why people choose to have an abortion.
Definately do not feel you have the right to assume people who have an abortion are doing it lightly, and do not consider all the consequences.

im a male, i think shes right but

alien

HSC
i don't support abortion, i think it's the woman's choice, but personally i wouldn't have one. i know ppl who have had them and regretted it. and apparently there are heaps of risks assosiated to abortion. i read this article and it had all these statistics like 40% or women suffer this...post abortion. some of it was really freaky like chance of future miscarriage, uterus problems and stuff, it wasn't cool. i'll try and get the facts to post. i don't think abortion is the right choice, but i'm not going to condemn someone for doing, it is their choice even if it's a bit sad. plus, yeah, it's killing what could be a life!

philly17

they are not a freak if they believe its murder. You are telling the opponents of abortion to lesson to your opinion yet when they give u their's u call them a freak?
another thing about the male politicians all trying to push the abortion debate is because males can be affected by abortions also so stop getting mad at them for caring it takes two to tango

berghousemaa

HSC
Philomena_86 said:
they are not a freak if they believe its murder. You are telling the opponents of abortion to lesson to your opinion yet when they give u their's u call them a freak?
another thing about the male politicians all trying to push the abortion debate is because males can be affected by abortions also so stop getting mad at them for caring it takes two to tango
Have you read some of his previous posts?
I understand full well that abortion is a very sensitive matter. Truth be told I don't approve of it but if a woman wants an abortion she should be able to do it, otherwise she would be unhappy and more than likely not truly value having a child.

Phanatical is a freak. It seems he has managed to piss off every single type of person at USyd including men, whites, women homosexuals and even bizarrely asians despite his asian origin.

His type of view is not appreciated by me because he can not contribute to a debate by expressing only his pre ordained views that can't be changed.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
How can anybody here criticise anybody for their compassion towards the Life that has been created? An unborn foetus IS a human life, with the potential to grow, and abortion is very much the murder of human life. What's the difference between aborting in the first trimester and the fiftieth trimester of life? What's the difference between murder of an unborn child, and a 20 year old? Should a mother claim abortion as a legal defence to murdering her 10 year old son?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Asquithian said:
There was a very large thread on this a while back.

Abortion should not result in legal penalities if done within a humane period of time. There are so many policy issues that rally for abortion.

I find that those who oppose abortion exaggerate the negatives of the system and start quoting the bible - often suggesting that women treat abortion lightly or as some kind of contraception. Such an attitude only serves to illustrate total ignorance as well as a generalist and inaccurate view that the attitudes of the majority of women. Since the process of abortion is no where near as easy to taking a panadol (as one forum member here suggested)

Additionally abortion is based on sound legal grounds.
Asquithian if u do remember, one girl on the forum who said she did have an abortion said it was incredibly easy, no pain at all.

My stance on abortion is that it is an unfortunate thing but it should be allowed to happen. Since most (unbias) scientific studies have shown that babies can't feel pain untill around 20 weeks, i think that should be the point where no abortions can be carried out.

I do feel that more information on statistics of abortions should be made available to the public.

I would also like to point out that anyone that takes abortions lightly, doesn't think a 12 week old embyro looks like a human should re-evaluate, or re-educate themselves.

Last edited:

berghousemaa

HSC
Phanatical said:
How can anybody here criticise anybody for their compassion towards the Life that has been created? An unborn foetus IS a human life, with the potential to grow, and abortion is very much the murder of human life. What's the difference between aborting in the first trimester and the fiftieth trimester of life? What's the difference between murder of an unborn child, and a 20 year old? Should a mother claim abortion as a legal defence to murdering her 10 year old son?
First off maybe our compassion is directed more towards the potential mother than an unborn foetus
What makes an unborn foetus a human life? Does it posses a soul or any other religious spin on the collective spirit of mankind that connects it with manknid as we know it or is it merely the potential to grow into what we know as humans.

When i toss (i'm a bloke) did i just commit mass murder because they all had the potential to grow?

P.S these are all real questions and i'm interested in what you have to say.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
katie_tully said:

those are the wisest words I have heard regarding this debate.
i think abortion should be legal, and well it is, seeing as though people I know have had abortions. I think it's really no one's business but the womens. IF abortion becomes illegal, I'm leaving the country. The law system is bull shit in this country. Why don't the government concentrate on more imoprtant things such as catching criminals and putting rapists behind bars for LIFE rather than for 5-10 years (which seems to be the standard).

a woman is NOT a murderer for havign an abortion. There are many factors which contribute to a woman making this decision and usually she does not laughingly skip to the abortion clinic and then go out after and celebrate...it is a tough ordeal. Some women have been raped, others discover that their baby is mentally disabled, etc. If a woman decides to abort she shouldn't even be questioned. Although I do believe the man has a right to know and does have the right for an opinion. But bottom line is that it is ultimately her decision.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
berghousemaa, an unborn foetus.... has human dna it is a human, the question is wether it is living... now they move around alot, they look a decent ammount like a human, and studies have shown heart-rate accellerations before abortions are carried out (fear?).
It is most definately a human life, however as it doesn't yet feel pain I believe it is fair enough that mothers have the right to determine its fate.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Phanatical said:
What's the difference between murder of an unborn child, and a 20 year old?
the child is UNBORN and usually not even starting to develop yet. You've answered ur own question. there's a lot of difference...one is born and has been living for 20 yrs...the other has not even taken a breath by it's self.

berghousemaa said:
What makes an unborn foetus a human life? Does it posses a soul or any other religious spin on the collective spirit of mankind that connects it with manknid as we know it or is it merely the potential to grow into what we know as humans.
i dont believe it possesses a soul until it actually begins to full develop and become a featus. While it is an embryo, i dont believe it is a human life. And no, ur not a murderer everytime u masturbate.

phanatical, since u believe thatr abortion is murder, is masturbating murdering too? i bet u'd say no, since u practice it.

Last edited:

berghousemaa

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
berghousemaa, an unborn foetus.... has human dna it is a human, the question is wether it is living... now they move around alot, they look a decent ammount like a human, and studies have shown heart-rate accellerations before abortions are carried out (fear?).
It is most definately a human life, however as it doesn't yet feel pain I believe it is fair enough that mothers have the right to determine its fate.
Is it only the lack of pain thta makes you believe it is acceptable?.

Interesting about the accelerated heartrate. However does that necessarily mean it is afraid. Couldn't it merely be an instinct reaction or have something to do with teh mother's probably heightened emotional state.

You're probably right about it being a human, I just think abortion is a necessary evil.

berghousemaa

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
yea i agree with you, it's necessary.

however i think further education, releasing statistics to the public would be good..
Exactly right. Has anybody seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Out of all movies I think this deals with abortion the best.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Interesting.. I know in america if you kill a pregnant mother it can be considered a 2nd consecutive murder or if it wasn't ment to happen i guess manslaughter..

We don't have that here?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Because both a sperm and an egg are in fact incomplete halves of a human genome, they don't form life. That's why it's not murder every time a man has sex, masturbates or has a wet dream, or a woman ovulates once a month - because the genetic material is not in a state of growth. Once the sperm has fertilised the egg, however, it begins to develop into sentient life, and will continue to develop until the day it dies, hopefully as an old person. This is a simple biological fact, which every person here should have studied in junior school science.

modelzsuck

Kylie
HSC
I think there are certain ppl who should be allowed to have abortions, say teenagers who arent emotionally ready and people who dont have enough money to raise a child or ppl who dont want a child and would therefore not care for it as much as they should.

K

katie_tully

What is with you people and placing so much emphasis on an unborn fetus's "rights"?
What about the "rights" of a teenage/adult woman who has to not only decide whats best for her, but the child?

They're looking for a ban on late term abortions. Now, nobody can have late term abortions unless the fetus has a deformity detected. Who are these people to say a woman doesn't have the right to decide whether she wants to have a child who is possibly going to have a poor quality of life, or whether she wants to humanely terminate the fetus.

Keep in mind people, the fetus does not feel a thing. It is dead before it is extracted from the womb.

Because both a sperm and an egg are in fact incomplete halves of a human genome, they don't form life. That's why it's not murder every time a man has sex, masturbates or has a wet dream, or a woman ovulates once a month - because the genetic material is not in a state of growth. Once the sperm has fertilised the egg, however, it begins to develop into sentient life, and will continue to develop until the day it dies, hopefully as an old person. This is a simple biological fact, which every person here should have studied in junior school science.
Yet, you neglect to mention that as a fetus, up until 30 weeks, it cannot survive outside of the mothers womb, and only then can it survive under constant medical treatment.
You neglect to mention the rights of the woman, who, for whatever valid reason, does not feel they can carry on with an abortion.

You're placing the rights of an unborn fetus, before the rights of a person...And thats the most illogical argument I've seen in this entire debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)