World of Warcraft (1 Viewer)

aliasfan

HSC
hey peoples, now that the HSC is over i was thinking of buying WoW to play? would you recommend it or is the month by month fee to much? Also will it run on my crappy laptop (190MB Ram, 64MB video card, 40GB, 56K dialup) THANKS

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
It might run but it will be TERRIBLE.

I have a P4 2.8ghz, 512mb RAM, 128 vid and I still don't put every setting on max.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
It won't run very smoothly even on the lowest graphics settings, particularly in crowded areas.

56K is okay but you have to get used to the delay, which can be frustrating.

HSC
One of the old machines we have here, an Athlon 1.8, 256mb of RAM with a 64mb gfx card runs it reasonably if you turn the detail down. As long as you're not expecting to have the detail maxed out, and as long as you can handle some delays when you hit busier areas it would probably be reasonable.

56k isn't going to be as good as it'd be with broadband (Obviously), but it's definnitely playable and I know loads of people who don't find it to be too much of an issue. Another thing to notice is that the speed of your connection doesn't make as much of a difference in a game like WoW as it does in a first person shooter, and that a lot of the time it'll just be manifested in a slight delay when interacting with things. The only time it may really cause issues is if you decide to be an ultra-PVP ninja :)

dAmAtA_cHiP

HSC
ram is a killer, i had 512mb and it wasnt enough, upgraded to a gig and its alot better, however i think u need 1.5gb to get the absolute best performance

aliasfan

HSC
ok so got my RAM upgraded, its now 704MB, is that ok? still worried bout dialup tho, is it worth it?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i wouldnt play it on dialup if i were u.. i get a ping of like 300-400 in busy areas as it is and iam on 1500.
broadband is cheap now, just get a super fast speed with a tiny download limit to make it cheap e.g 1500/512 with a 1gig cap lol... u wont even need the whole gig unless u like to download movies or something]

look at this: https://www.netspace.net.au/broadband/signup/ps.do
35$ a month for 512, and netspace isnt even the best... when i first got broadband a plan similiar to this costed like 100$ a month

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I have 1GB ram, xp 3000, x800 256mb and i still lag when i enter org :)

HSC
with an athlon xp 3200, 2gb of ram and 6600gt I've finally fixed up the jumpy gameplay, and don't really have any lag issues with 1500/256 broadband connection. That said, upon entering Orgrimmar, instead of everything going insanely jumpy while the area loads, it's all perfectly smooth, and I can walk around and watch players magically appear as the info is downloaded :)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
It also depends what server you play on as to how much lag you'll get in crowded areas.

sunjet and i are on blackrock - highest aus population (therefore higher pings at aus peak times) for a pvp server. so you expect higher latency because of that.

if i play my alts on a low pop server i can get ~100 pings regularly. on blackrock the ping varies from 400 to 3000+ depending on the time.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
i use to play wow like religiously, bleh not any more tho since i cant b bothered completeting the rest of my quests

just buy a prepaid card it has 60days on it for $39.95, better than paying by credit. and when you buy it you get 30days free and also an extra 10, so all together you can play it for about 100days before you have to buy another prepaid card.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
dAmAtA_cHiP said:
ram is a killer, i had 512mb and it wasnt enough, upgraded to a gig and its alot better, however i think u need 1.5gb to get the absolute best performance
Daniel? wtf you arent doing your HSC! you finished school ages ago and u dont even live in NSW!

anyways are in Wollongong yet? call me and we can go do something

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
You need cable or ADSL, WoW is a twitch game. Everquest 2 for life! :p

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Well i play on blackrock myself, but i wouldn't recommend, frostmourne is the oceania-flagged server but it's still in USA and has long queue's, just go any PVP one, probably high population, makes it more fun.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i would say frostmourne, but its really REALLY full right now, so like 600+ queues, i would go to server list and find one that is low population, means u can get into it every time u want

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)