What math courses do I take? (1 Viewer)

qwert73

HSC
I am doing a b science(advanced math)/b arts degree, and it says I need 12cp of junior math units. Am I meant to take advanced units or is it alright if I take the regular stream of maths?
Also what Math classes(MATH1XXX) am I meant to pick? Does it matter which ones I pick or is it up to me?

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
Since you're doing B. Science (Advanced Mathematics), you should probably enrol into the advanced mathematics stream. The junior advanced mathematics units you should be enrolling into are:
- MATH1901 Differential Calculus (Advanced) [Semester 1]
- MATH1902 Linear Algebra (Advanced) [Semester 1]
- MATH1903 Integral Calculus and Modelling (Advanced) [Semester 2]
- MATH1905 Statistics (Advanced) [Semester 2]

That said, you don't have to enrol into junior advanced units. In fact, the degree resolutions does not explicitly state that you need to do any advanced junior maths unit at all; you are only required to take advanced maths units from second year (at least 12 credit points/2 units) and third year (at least 24 credit points/4 units).

Although honestly, since you're doing an advanced maths degree, you might as well as take advanced maths units starting from first year, lol. It's more interesting and prepares you for more difficult maths later.

The alternative, mainstream/normal stream units are:
- MATH1001 Differential Calculus [Semester 1]
- MATH1002 Linear Algebra [Semester 1]
- MATH1003 Integral Calculus and Modelling [Semester 2]
- MATH1004 Discrete Mathematics [Semester 2]
- MATH1005 Statistics [Semester 2]

Note that there is no advanced counterpart for MATH1004 Discrete Mathematics. If you have no interest in statistics at all, you might want to just do MATH1901/1902/1903/1004. However, there is a second year unit (and it's advanced counterpart) for discrete mathematics that some people take instead, which doesn't require MATH1004 as a prerequisite:
- MATH2068 Number Theory and Cryptography
- MATH2968 Number Theory and Cryptography (Advanced)

The interesting thing here is that MATH2068 only requires you to have completed 6 credit points of junior maths, meaning that you can actually take this unit during the second semester of your first year. MATH2968 on the other hand requires 9 credit points from junior maths (and/or a list of second year units), so you can't do the advanced unit during your first year.

There are also the Special Studies Program for mathematics. I've answered some questions about enrolling into it in your previous thread. The units are:
- MATH1906 Mathematics (Special Studies Program) A [Semester 1] which replaces MATH1901
- MATH1907 Mathematics (Special Studies Program) B [Semester 2] which replaced MATH1903

In reality, the SSP units actually put you into the same lectures as the advanced maths units they replace, but puts you into a tutorial with other SSP students and involves an additional seminar each week for SSP topics. If you're interested, you still have to enrol into MATH1901/1903 first.

As for which maths units you should pick for first year, it's mostly up to you, but I think it depends partly on how you handle your other science requirement: you need to do 24 junior science credit points outside of maths, and consisting of at least 2 different science areas of study. Now if you want to complete those 24 credit points in your first year (as I did, since I wanted to get them out of the way), then you should do only 12 credit points (4 units) of junior mathematics (2 units in each semester), and leave the last 12 credit points for your Arts units. If you plan on doing this, popular combinations for Advanced Mathematics students are:
Semester 1:
- MATH1901 OR MATH1906 (SSP)
- MATH1902
Semester 2:
- MATH1903 OR MATH1907 (SSP)
- MATH1905 OR MATH1004

Alternatively, if you want to complete your 24 required credit points of science across your degree, you can opt to do more maths during your first year by doing both MATH1905 and MATH1004, or adding MATH2068 during your second semester on top of MATH1903/1907 and MATH1905.

Either way, I'd suggest you to do MATH1901/1902/1903 since you're doing Advanced Mathematics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)