Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UAI or 1st year results for Transfer - confirmations

HSC
    N/A
    if youre going from double to single degree through uac and you failed a subject will that still be taken into account?

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Quote Originally Posted by ezzy85
    if youre going from double to single degree through uac and you failed a subject will that still be taken into account?
    Well if its a UAC transfer, then yes, it affects your GPA
    B Commerce (UNSW), GradDipCA
    Senior Manager - Ernst & Young

HSC
    Sorry to disrupt, but does anyone know whether it is possible to transfer from one university to another, eg UTS to Usyd....err is it even more impossible if you do a combined law degree?

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by shazzam
    Sorry to disrupt, but does anyone know whether it is possible to transfer from one university to another, eg UTS to Usyd....err is it even more impossible if you do a combined law degree?
    Yes it is possible. No it is not impossible. UTS cutoffs start from about 97.50? So if you got 97.50 for your UAI, you would need about a 6.2 GPA to be on the safe side. (Distinction average).

97.5+97/2=97.25

Cutoffs for NRSL law are typically lower than the original cutoff. 97.25 will get you through safely only for this year. Next year will be different.
    B Commerce/ B Laws :uhhuh:
    Class of `03

Retired 13 May 2006 Lexicographer's Avatar
    HSC
    It'd be easier (and more accurate) if UAC just calculated a WAM huh. Only problem is some unis don't release percentage marks and you have to go through the GPA conversion tables...yuck.
    No longer active as of 13 May 2006

HSC
    label it this
    UAC is lazy!

say you're doing a double degree

you drop one of those degrees, is your academic record considered for transfer only the degree you keep? because that wouldn't make up one year of full time study i think

HSC
    I don't know if this applies to all unis, but at most "dropping" from a double to a single degree isn't considered a transfer. It's actually withdrawal of enrolment in one course whilst continuing in another.

no thats not quite what i meant

you have an academic record which is considered in your attempts to transfer courses or unis

im doing a double degree, and i heard that if you drop one, only the units from the degree you keep will show on your academic record

my question is does this apply when calculating your nrsl score?

and what does one year full time mean? how many credit points you did?
    what is the conversion from macquarie CP to other unis?

and so if you don't do one year full time do they only count uai?

HSC
    That's quite a pile of questions.

a) That's not always true. What I've seen is that generally you can ask the uni to credit those units as electives, which means they'll still count. Even if you don't do that, they will appear in your transcript as they will always be completed tertiary study.

b) That I can't answer. Maybe Lazarus or Minai can shed some light on it?

c) A full academic load is the amount of credit points a normal full time student would be taking. A full time load is not always the same thing: it is the amount of credit points required for you to be considered a full time student. This is usually 3/4 the number of credit points required for a full academic load.

At UTS a standard subject is worth 6 credit points. The full academic load for a semester is 24 credit points, whilst the minimum full time load is 18 credit points. Any less and you're a part time student.

At Macquarie a standard subject is worth 3 credit points. The full academic load for a semester is 12 credit points, but I don't have any confirmed information available about your minimum full time load. You should speak to the Registrar's Division or check your faculty handbook for this kind of technical arcana.

At USyd (just for interest) they have a weird (but logical, in its own way) system of increading credit load depending on the time when you'd be taking that subject. I haven't looked into their systemin detail, but it's quite interesting. Full academic load is also 24 credit points, again I don't know about the minimum full time load.

d) It depends on the university, faculty and course to which you are applying. UAC will consider all finalised tertiary study that ther receive notice of. However, certain courses have additional requirements regarding academic credit.

HSC
    Uni Grad
    about a) and b)..

a) regardless of what you do during your tertiary life, EVERY SUBJECT you do remains on your academic record, so if you transfer 100 times and do 100 subjects, its all on your academic record (as well as all the subjects you failed)
    so basically, if you are applying to transfer, all subjects in you did in that first year of study will be including in calculation of your non-recent school leaver rank.

b) same conclusion as above. whatever subjects you did in 1st year will count, regardless as to whether you dropped a degree or whatever.

also, if UAC can calculate 0.5 years full time...but I think its only UAI based if you dont complete 1 year full time (if u apply to transfer)

HSC
    If you apply in the middle of your first year with no prior tertiary record UAC will only use your UAI as your semester results will not be released in time. However, if you defer after completing one semester that semester's marks will still count because the marks are available for consideration.

HSC
    when you do an internal transfer (UTS), can you pick up a double degree in your second year of uni? would that even be a transfer?

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    G'day,

I have a question about this topic. I'm considering transferring from my Actuarial Studies with Computer Science degree (at Macquarie university) to a combined Law degree at UNSW (Combined Law with Commerce).

The thing is, my GPA will be below a credit following this semester (I'm almost certain it will be, at least).

So I'm interested in knowing whether I still will be able to transfer.

Do they take into account the difficulty of the course you are transferring from? To be honest I'm not interested really in the course I am doing at the moment, and am strongly considering changing. The main reason my marks have been low is due to this reason - I simply just don't like the work we're doing.

My UAI for last year was 99.45, and my current GPA is 2.75 (ie. 2Ps, 1C and 1D). After this semester though, who knows! I don't really rate my chances of doing well :S

Finally, will I be able to decide once I get my marks, about whether I still want to transfer or not?

Cheers

HSC
    Uni Grad
    (Check the On the topic of Transfers thread for details of how to work everything out)

Your current GPA in UAC terms (assuming your 4 subjects were the same credit point value) is 4.75 (exact Credit average being 5.0, distinction 6.0 etc)
    This 4.75 translates into a score of 88 (so far from 1 semester)

Taking your UAI into account, you'd have an NRSL rank of 93.725...which basically means you'd be way off a transfer to UNSW law (recent cutoffs for transfers have been NRSL's of 95.8+)

Unfortunately, they dont take diffuclty of your degree into account, just the marks, and even though your UAI could be greater than the actual cutoff, your 1st year marks would drag this down. It's unfair, and somewhat funny that if you did easy subjects rather than Actuarial ones, you might've got better marks to transfer

LLB (Hons)
    HSC
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Mein
    My UAI for last year was 99.45
    these are the only words i can see. it amazes me why ppl choose maths over law?

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Minai
    (Check the On the topic of Transfers thread for details of how to work everything out)

Your current GPA in UAC terms (assuming your 4 subjects were the same credit point value) is 4.75 (exact Credit average being 5.0, distinction 6.0 etc)
    This 4.75 translates into a score of 88 (so far from 1 semester)

Taking your UAI into account, you'd have an NRSL rank of 93.725...which basically means you'd be way off a transfer to UNSW law (recent cutoffs for transfers have been NRSL's of 95.8+)

Unfortunately, they dont take diffuclty of your degree into account, just the marks, and even though your UAI could be greater than the actual cutoff, your 1st year marks would drag this down. It's unfair, and somewhat funny that if you did easy subjects rather than Actuarial ones, you might've got better marks to transfer
    wats teh NRSL cutoff for UNSW commerce??
    Class of '03

"Natural essence comes in reality"

***HSC/Prelim BOOKS ON SALE!!! Look Here.***

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigid
    why would ppl choose medicine over law :P
    Class of '03

"Natural essence comes in reality"

***HSC/Prelim BOOKS ON SALE!!! Look Here.***

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    **** if that's true I'll be pretty cut. Especially since I got into university with a scholarship and the full works.

How much a year can change everything. If you ask me though, that's so unfair. Looks like I'll be stuck in this bloody course.

Well Actuarial studies is a highly regarded degree. Most people would agree that it is probably the hardest degree offered by universities. Whilst it may be financially rewarding in the future, I really don't want to have to stick with it, since I find it largely uninteresting.

Is there any other way you can be considered for transfer. Like an interview or something? If universities aren't willing to even consider your past accademic record and instead base it on a year of work in which the candidate may have not been able to relate to, the system is ridiculous.

The hypocricy lies in the fact that, even with my current marks, I can continue doing the course I am currently enrolled in (which had a higher UAI cut off than law), yet I can't transfer into the different course.

I'm sure that if you spoke to a university advisor from the uni you are trying to transfer into, that they would consider the difficultly of your course.
    Last edited by Mein; 20 Nov 2004 at 12:28 AM.

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Well, USyd and UNSW are strict with their entry requirements being "academic only" through UAC, but I know UTS is flexible, as they have an additional requirement of a personal statement in which to 'state your case' so to speak.

And yes, the system is unfair in that respect I agree, but I guess it stems from the fact that to them, you're just another person out of the thousands that try to get into these elite law degrees every year

Oh btw, have you considered Law at your own uni? Macquarie has perhaps the most flexible transfer system, I've heard you can get into anything with a credit average?
    Last edited by Minai; 20 Nov 2004 at 1:23 AM.

HSC
    N/A
    I've heard that UWS also has a flexible "internal transfer scheme" which allows you to get into any course of your choice provided that you can attain a credit average...I wish Sydney was that flexible...
    B Business/ B Laws

Happy Lala
    HSC
    I only got a UAI of 75.4 when I did the HSC, yet I was offered a position in the BA (Informatics). I had chosen to remain with my offer to the BMus (Comp.). I'm hoping that they will consider the fact that they've offered me a place in the Arts program previously, and that I've completed two reasonably good years in the more advanced music degree, but the fact that the USYD method of admissions is largely automatic, based purely on numbers, I'll probably lose out to some new first year students.

HSC
    Is it a rule of thumb that you must complete at least 1 year of uni to have the 50/50 weighting of UAI and uni grades? otherwise it is 100% UAI?

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Quote Originally Posted by deviation
    Is it a rule of thumb that you must complete at least 1 year of uni to have the 50/50 weighting of UAI and uni grades? otherwise it is 100% UAI?
    yes, if you don't complete one full year of uni, they'll assess only UAI if you apply to transfer

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Minai
    yes, if you don't complete one full year of uni, they'll assess only UAI if you apply to transfer
    But , how will this work if a person got say, 90UAI, no uni grades, and reapplys through UAC a year later for a course at 95 ?

B. Commerce
    Finance & Accounting
    UNSW Graduate

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information