UAI or 1st year results for Transfer - confirmations (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
theone123 said:
my friend wanted to transfer from B Mathematics and Finance to B Business @UTS, but the admin said that he cant becuz that B Mathematics and Finance is part of the Faculty of Science and that it would need to take at least a year for a internal course transfer.
The Faculty of Business may not accept transfers from other Faculties midyear, though last time I checked they do.

In any case, it's too late now.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Grizzly said:
Im assuming this is to transfer to another UNI ?
I cant remember, but it does cost to apply through UAC ?

So, basically, you list out all your 9? preferences - and you get a letter of acceptance in January 2005 along with 2004 yr12'ers ...etc?

Exactly like the process from YR12 > UNI ?
Yes its the same process
you have to pay the same fees etc to apply to UAC as u did in yr12
your name will be in the paper listing offers in the main round (or otherwise) along with the ex-yr12's

MuSaRuRWa

crazylilmonkee said:
i was doing b eco/arts and i dropped my arts right before session ended... i did all my exams and stuff but its just i didnt want to continue with arts.. all i did was go to fce and fill out that yellow change of plan sheet.. they took it said it was ok and that was it.. my guess is that the arts component ends up as an option or gen ed then..
but the transfer from a double degree to a sinlge is kinda different from a complete transfer ...

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
fce said to go from comm/sci to comm is the same process through uac that minai descroibed above.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
when transfering to other courses through uac, i am told they look at both your UAI and your GPA... However, wouldnt it be more accurate to look at the UAI and WAM ???

eg. Pass 50 and Pass 64.. both are Passes.. but clearly the 2nd one is a higher mark, but its treated the same under GPA... where as WAM is a more accurate interpretation of the students marks. hence making it more fair ?

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
if youre going from double to single degree through uac and you failed a subject will that still be taken into account?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ezzy85 said:
if youre going from double to single degree through uac and you failed a subject will that still be taken into account?
Well if its a UAC transfer, then yes, it affects your GPA

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Sorry to disrupt, but does anyone know whether it is possible to transfer from one university to another, eg UTS to Usyd....err is it even more impossible if you do a combined law degree?

santaslayer

HSC
shazzam said:
Sorry to disrupt, but does anyone know whether it is possible to transfer from one university to another, eg UTS to Usyd....err is it even more impossible if you do a combined law degree?
Yes it is possible. No it is not impossible. UTS cutoffs start from about 97.50? So if you got 97.50 for your UAI, you would need about a 6.2 GPA to be on the safe side. (Distinction average).

97.5+97/2=97.25

Cutoffs for NRSL law are typically lower than the original cutoff. 97.25 will get you through safely only for this year. Next year will be different. :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It'd be easier (and more accurate) if UAC just calculated a WAM huh. Only problem is some unis don't release percentage marks and you have to go through the GPA conversion tables...yuck.

evidence

say you're doing a double degree

you drop one of those degrees, is your academic record considered for transfer only the degree you keep? because that wouldn't make up one year of full time study i think

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I don't know if this applies to all unis, but at most "dropping" from a double to a single degree isn't considered a transfer. It's actually withdrawal of enrolment in one course whilst continuing in another.

evidence

no thats not quite what i meant

you have an academic record which is considered in your attempts to transfer courses or unis

im doing a double degree, and i heard that if you drop one, only the units from the degree you keep will show on your academic record

my question is does this apply when calculating your nrsl score?

and what does one year full time mean? how many credit points you did?
what is the conversion from macquarie CP to other unis?

and so if you don't do one year full time do they only count uai?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's quite a pile of questions. :p

a) That's not always true. What I've seen is that generally you can ask the uni to credit those units as electives, which means they'll still count. Even if you don't do that, they will appear in your transcript as they will always be completed tertiary study.

b) That I can't answer. Maybe Lazarus or Minai can shed some light on it?

c) A full academic load is the amount of credit points a normal full time student would be taking. A full time load is not always the same thing: it is the amount of credit points required for you to be considered a full time student. This is usually 3/4 the number of credit points required for a full academic load.

At UTS a standard subject is worth 6 credit points. The full academic load for a semester is 24 credit points, whilst the minimum full time load is 18 credit points. Any less and you're a part time student.

At Macquarie a standard subject is worth 3 credit points. The full academic load for a semester is 12 credit points, but I don't have any confirmed information available about your minimum full time load. You should speak to the Registrar's Division or check your faculty handbook for this kind of technical arcana.

At USyd (just for interest) they have a weird (but logical, in its own way) system of increading credit load depending on the time when you'd be taking that subject. I haven't looked into their systemin detail, but it's quite interesting. Full academic load is also 24 credit points, again I don't know about the minimum full time load.

d) It depends on the university, faculty and course to which you are applying. UAC will consider all finalised tertiary study that ther receive notice of. However, certain courses have additional requirements regarding academic credit.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
about a) and b)..

a) regardless of what you do during your tertiary life, EVERY SUBJECT you do remains on your academic record, so if you transfer 100 times and do 100 subjects, its all on your academic record (as well as all the subjects you failed)
so basically, if you are applying to transfer, all subjects in you did in that first year of study will be including in calculation of your non-recent school leaver rank.

b) same conclusion as above. whatever subjects you did in 1st year will count, regardless as to whether you dropped a degree or whatever.

also, if UAC can calculate 0.5 years full time...but I think its only UAI based if you dont complete 1 year full time (if u apply to transfer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If you apply in the middle of your first year with no prior tertiary record UAC will only use your UAI as your semester results will not be released in time. However, if you defer after completing one semester that semester's marks will still count because the marks are available for consideration.

frazzle

HSC
when you do an internal transfer (UTS), can you pick up a double degree in your second year of uni? would that even be a transfer?

Mein

HSC
N/A
G'day,

I have a question about this topic. I'm considering transferring from my Actuarial Studies with Computer Science degree (at Macquarie university) to a combined Law degree at UNSW (Combined Law with Commerce).

The thing is, my GPA will be below a credit following this semester (I'm almost certain it will be, at least).

So I'm interested in knowing whether I still will be able to transfer.

Do they take into account the difficulty of the course you are transferring from? To be honest I'm not interested really in the course I am doing at the moment, and am strongly considering changing. The main reason my marks have been low is due to this reason - I simply just don't like the work we're doing.

My UAI for last year was 99.45, and my current GPA is 2.75 (ie. 2Ps, 1C and 1D). After this semester though, who knows! I don't really rate my chances of doing well :S

Finally, will I be able to decide once I get my marks, about whether I still want to transfer or not?

Cheers

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
(Check the On the topic of Transfers thread for details of how to work everything out)

Your current GPA in UAC terms (assuming your 4 subjects were the same credit point value) is 4.75 (exact Credit average being 5.0, distinction 6.0 etc)
This 4.75 translates into a score of 88 (so far from 1 semester)

Taking your UAI into account, you'd have an NRSL rank of 93.725...which basically means you'd be way off a transfer to UNSW law (recent cutoffs for transfers have been NRSL's of 95.8+)

Unfortunately, they dont take diffuclty of your degree into account, just the marks, and even though your UAI could be greater than the actual cutoff, your 1st year marks would drag this down. It's unfair, and somewhat funny that if you did easy subjects rather than Actuarial ones, you might've got better marks to transfer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)