Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Forced to drop to Standard by School

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Re: Forced to drop to Standard by School

In the letter did it say, that english advanced was too hard for you or what?

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BandSixFix View Post
    I know the bottom 30 in my school get culled and put into standard - they just make a whole new class
    Lol I remember your school had a high band 6 percentage rate

They probably do that because they don't want the marks affected though

Do ppl complain?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    So I'm assuming 50-70 got dropped?
    Quite probable..

Like I said if you all complained as a large group then it's going to be much more effective than complaining by yourself
    I will try to organise something and somehow gather up all the girls in my grade who want to stay in Advanced but got a drop out letter.

Thing is, you need to somewhat show to the teachers at your school that you're dedicated and such and tell them (with others) how you're going to achieve a band 5-6 in the HSC
    This is not going to be easy but I will try.

Probably wanted to surprise attack everyone
    This is quite probable.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Bluee View Post
    Quite probable..

I will try to organise something and somehow gather up all the girls in my grade who want to stay in Advanced but got a drop out letter.

This is not going to be easy but I will try.

This is quite probable.
    Get onto Facebook or whatever and send a message to everyone who got droped to standard (and find out how many more got droped from Advanced to Standard). Discuss why they want to stay in advanced and such and what they are going to do in order to achieve a band 5/6 in english advanced HSC, and then when it's first day back, get into a group of 20+ and then storm the head teacher and complain right in his/her face and tell him/her it's unfair, if you don't like the outcome, take it up to your year advisor and the principal, if that doesn't go in your favour either, take it out of school to the DET and like I said do it all in groups to ensure a higher chance of success. The more the better

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Get onto Facebook or whatever and send a message to everyone who got droped to standard (and find out how many more got droped from Advanced to Standard). Discuss why they want to stay in advanced and such and what they are going to do in order to achieve a band 5/6 in english advanced HSC, and then when it's first day back, get into a group of 20+ and then storm the head teacher and complain right in his/her face and tell him/her it's unfair, if you don't like the outcome, take it up to your year advisor and the principal, if that doesn't go in your favour either, take it out of school to the DET and like I said do it all in groups to ensure a higher chance of success. The more the better
    Drongoski advised against being confrontational though.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by InteGrand View Post
    I agree, don't pull a protest it's just a subject and it's your fault for not doing well enough to be dropped out anyway
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv (91) // Bio (96) // Phys (95) // 3U Maths (99) // 4U Maths (97) //
    ATAR: 99.75

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Oh yeah, well IDK what to do, I think complain in large groups but in a less violent manner???
    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    I agree, don't pull a protest it's just a subject and it's your fault for not doing well enough to be dropped out anyway
    "It's a subject"-a subject where less than 1% of the state gets a band 6. I don't think students can relax, doing a subject where it is beyond difficult to get a band 6 when you can do a harder subject and get even a band 5 and not put in so much effort compared to doing an easier subject with a very low band 6 rate is somewhat important if you plan to get a good atar (which a lot of people want)

Also I don't think teachers realise this but they take yr 11 too seriously and think that yr 11 is like the HSC. They don't seem to realise that ppl can manage to pull their arses up and get much better marks as compared to prelim-it's all about learning from your mistakes that Bluee has realised, after getting kicked out of advanced with like 50 other ppl in his cohort, yet when this mistake is done, you can't treat its wounds (if you get what I mean)

HSC

Oh yeah, well IDK what to do, I think complain in large groups but in a less violent manner???

"It's a subject"-a subject where less than 1% of the state gets a band 6. I don't think students can relax, doing a subject where it is beyond difficult to get a band 6 when you can do a harder subject and get even a band 5 and not put in so much effort compared to doing an easier subject with a very low band 6 rate is somewhat important if you plan to get a good atar (which a lot of people want)

Also I don't think teachers realise this but they take yr 11 too seriously and think that yr 11 is like the HSC. They don't seem to realise that ppl can manage to pull their arses up and get much better marks as compared to prelim-it's all about learning from your mistakes that Bluee has realised, after getting kicked out of advanced with like 50 other ppl in his cohort, yet when this mistake is done, you can't treat its wounds (if you get what I mean)
    Well 4 unit maths had 36.05% band 6's last year and 2 unit had 19.69% last year, does that make 4 unit easier? No it doesn't, it just means more smart people do 4 unit. Same goes for english, if all of the advanced people did standard, there would probably be a 15% band 6 rate for standard like there is for advanced approximately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 HSC: // English Adv (91) // Bio (96) // Phys (95) // 3U Maths (99) // 4U Maths (97) //

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Well 4 unit maths had 36.05% band 6's last year and 2 unit had 19.69% last year, does that make 4 unit easier? No it doesn't, it just means more smart people do 4 unit. Same goes for english, if all of the advanced people did standard, there would probably be a 15% band 6 rate for standard like there is for advanced approximately.
    No, english standard and advanced are similar in some sense, they've got a similar workload and advanced is only a little more difficult than standard, not that much more difficult than standard, so obviously if you thought about this, your first instinct is to do Advanced, right because advanced scales higher, there is a higher band 6 percentage rate and there is only a minor difference in difficulty

To secure a spot for a band 6 in english standard, you need to be ranked at least first. Also Pikachu, I remember talking to you about this in the senior science or chemistry thread, you said that that was because most of the better kids to take their learning more serious resort to Advanced. That is true in that sense but I think no matter how many 'serious' kids there are in standard, getting a band 6 is still difficult due to the percentage rate of band 6's

My school got no band 6's last year for english standard and looking at my standard cohort this year, I can see approximately 4 students that take their learning seriously out of a standard cohort of like 50, and yet I'm predicting 1 band 6 for next year's HSC, not 4

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Also just saying but something like 95 for English standard is a state rank mark if you compared that to advanced which is like 97/98

HSC

No, english standard and advanced are similar in some sense, they've got a similar workload and advanced is only a little more difficult than standard, not that much more difficult than standard, so obviously if you thought about this, your first instinct is to do Advanced, right because advanced scales higher, there is a higher band 6 percentage rate and there is only a minor difference in difficulty

To secure a spot for a band 6 in english standard, you need to be ranked at least first. Also Pikachu, I remember talking to you about this in the senior science or chemistry thread, you said that that was because most of the better kids to take their learning more serious resort to Advanced. That is true in that sense but I think no matter how many 'serious' kids there are in standard, getting a band 6 is still difficult due to the percentage rate of band 6's

My school got no band 6's last year for english standard and looking at my standard cohort this year, I can see approximately 4 students that take their learning seriously out of a standard cohort of like 50, and yet I'm predicting 1 band 6 for next year's HSC, not 4
    Yeah true the workload thing you said is right but the "at least first" thing isn't because some schools obviously get more than 1 band 6 in it

HSC

In the letter did it say, that english advanced was too hard for you or what?
    In the letter the head teacher said stuff like "Your child is doing such a challenging course and believe they have been placed in the wrong course", "In order for them to meet the requirement of the HSC they will be placed in a Standard class" and "If this concern is not corrected it will have a very negative effect on their progress".
    What they said.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Yeah true the workload thing you said is right but the "at least first" thing isn't because some schools obviously get more than 1 band 6 in it
    Well IMO I think that you at least ranked 1st in standard to get a band 6 (well that's what I predicted at my school)

HSC

Look I don't wish to overwhelm the school and the teachers especially. There are off course better and civil like ways of handling this.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

What they said.
    Lol then they're wrong about how english advanced is challenging, especially when it's a little more difficult than standard. Not too much IMO but I think it's "difficulty" is manageable for any english student

HSC

Look I got my parents on to them and they are writing up emails to both my head teacher and teacher since its the holidays. I have written my own emails to my English teacher. I am doing everything I can so the school can accept my wish to remain in Advanced.

If all else fails or we don't get responses back in time before school starts from the head teacher and my own teacher, we will take it up to BOSTES and also the DOE before the term starts.

I don't think there is anything I can do besides this. I have looked at all posibilities and I am not going go as far as changing my school as its a pretty decent school ranked in the 40s, so my marks will be at least scaled up in other subjects. Plus been going there since Yr 7 and all my friendships are there.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Look I got my parents on to them and they are writing up emails to both my head teacher and teacher since its the holidays. I have written my own emails to my English teacher. I am doing everything I can so the school can accept my wish to remain in Advanced.

If all else fails or we don't get responses back in time before school starts from the head teacher and my own teacher, we will take it up to BOSTES and also the DOE before the term starts.

I don't think there is anything I can do besides this. I have looked at all posibilities and I am not going go as far as changing my school as its a pretty decent school ranked in the 40s, so my marks will be at least scaled up in other subjects. Plus been going there since Yr 7 and all my friendships are there.
    Can you actually change schools at the beginning of yr 12? I didn't know that

HSC

Done with this thread. Thankyou for all your responses.

I will come back to this site if things change for the positive.

I don't think there are many solutions to this other than what I have listed in my previous post.

HSC

Hey guys! I have come back, I think I left a little too early lel

It would be nice if you give me some good reasons to stay in Advanced so I use them in my next email to the Head Teacher. Please give any reasons besides alligning, saying that the courses have no diffence in difficulty as it turns off all these English teachers at my school when you say that.

HSC

Anyone?

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Well do you have any reasons for wanting to do English Advanced over Standard other than better aligning and the courses not having much difference in difficulty? If so, what are they? You could write about those.

KX
    Cadet
    HSC

I have heard of several cases in the past where students have been forced to drop from advanced to standard English (in low ranking schools), so you're definitely not the first (not that you claimed to be, but just putting it out there).

HSC

Hey guys! I have come back, I think I left a little too early lel

It would be nice if you give me some good reasons to stay in Advanced so I use them in my next email to the Head Teacher. Please give any reasons besides alligning, saying that the courses have no diffence in difficulty as it turns off all these English teachers at my school when you say that.
    - you dont want std(s)
    - you love the texts that will be studied in year 12
    - you may be forced to switch tutors if you drop to std
    - u will hav no frends in std
    - you believe that adv will help you further down the track

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Well do you have any reasons for wanting to do English Advanced over Standard other than better aligning and the courses not having much difference in difficulty? If so, what are they? You could write about those.
    Thing is that Bluee said that at his school, the reason why he got dropped was because the teachers thought that he was finding the english advanced course way too difficult and that standard is the appropiate course for him

HSC

Thing is that Bluee said that at his school, the reason why he got dropped was because the teachers thought that he was finding the english advanced course way too difficult and that standard is the appropiate course for him
    Do you have any good reasons I good use in my email to the head teacher?

Btw I hate everyone on this site assumes peoples genders. Him, he....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information