Forced to drop to Standard by School (1 Viewer)

Bluee

HSC
Bluee

Don't send that letter out yet until you had some time to polish it. There are a few parts that can be improved upon. Remember you want to give it the best shot you can. Maybe it should be sent in the name of your parents, not yours.
Um already sent it last night.

Bluee

HSC
I think they can as long as they have a good reason to do so

Also I'm sure schools can prevent students entering certain courses
Yes they can prevent students from entering courses.

But when students have been enrolled in the course for some months they can't suddenly kick out students?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yes they can prevent students from entering courses.

But when students have been enrolled in the course for some months they can't suddenly kick out students?
For how many months had you been doing the HSC English Advanced course when they kicked you out? Didn't you say it was effective from the start of Term 4 (which is usually when people would start the HSC English Advanced course?)?

Bluee

HSC
For how many months had you been doing the HSC English Advanced course when they kicked you out? Didn't you say it was effective from the start of Term 4 (which is usually when people would start the HSC English Advanced course?)?
Yes from Term 4 as it said in the letter and I been doing Advanced since the beginning of the year. I have not had a face to face conversation with the head teacher or my teacher about this yet and wont be able to have one for the next 2 weeks. The week I come back it will be HSC.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yes from Term 4 as it said in the letter and I been doing Advanced since the beginning of the year. I have not had a face to face conversation with the head teacher or my teacher about this yet and wont be able to have one for the next 2 weeks. The week I come back it will be HSC.
You had been doing Advanced since beginning of the year, but that would have been Prelim. English Advanced. So they probably didn't consider themselves as suddenly kicking you out after months of doing the course, because they did so at the start of HSC English Advanced, which they may have considered as something like a fresh start.

Did all the people ranked below you get a letter too?

Bluee

HSC
You had been doing Advanced since beginning of the year, but that would have been Prelim. English Advanced. So they probably didn't consider themselves as suddenly kicking you out after months of doing the course, because they did so at the start of HSC English Advanced, which they may have considered as something like a fresh start.

Did all the people ranked below you get a letter too?
Yeah I don't know what to do, been so stressed lately. I can imagine people getting drop out letters from other subjects as well if not only Adv English.

I asked a lot of the girls at my school on messenger and yes some of them who were ranked below me got one but another one of my friends she was ranked 107 and got one as well.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yeah I don't know what to do, been so stressed lately. I can imagine people getting drop out letters from other subjects as well if not only Adv English.

I asked a lot of the girls at my school on messenger and yes some of them who were ranked below me got one but another one of my friends she was ranked 107 and got one as well.
Holy shit, so a lot of ppl got dropped to standard?

If you all complain in groups to the head teacher and demand that they keep the advanced class then yes it may work

Bluee

HSC
Holy shit, so a lot of ppl got dropped to standard?

If you all complain in groups to the head teacher and demand that they keep the advanced class then yes it may work
The weird thing is all the letters came on the very last day of school which was yesterday. So I am not aware of every single person who got a drop out letter so we can't really complain in groups until the term starts.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
The weird thing is all the letters came on the very last day of school which was yesterday. So I am not aware of every single person who got a drop out letter so we can't really complain in groups until the term starts.
So I'm assuming 50-70 got dropped?

Like I said if you all complained as a large group then it's going to be much more effective than complaining by yourself

Thing is, you need to somewhat show to the teachers at your school that you're dedicated and such and tell them (with others) how you're going to achieve a band 5-6 in the HSC

Probably wanted to surprise attack everyone

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I know the bottom 30 in my school get culled and put into standard - they just make a whole new class

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
In the letter did it say, that english advanced was too hard for you or what?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I know the bottom 30 in my school get culled and put into standard - they just make a whole new class
Lol I remember your school had a high band 6 percentage rate

They probably do that because they don't want the marks affected though

Do ppl complain?

Bluee

HSC
So I'm assuming 50-70 got dropped?
Quite probable..

Like I said if you all complained as a large group then it's going to be much more effective than complaining by yourself
I will try to organise something and somehow gather up all the girls in my grade who want to stay in Advanced but got a drop out letter.

Thing is, you need to somewhat show to the teachers at your school that you're dedicated and such and tell them (with others) how you're going to achieve a band 5-6 in the HSC
This is not going to be easy but I will try.

Probably wanted to surprise attack everyone
This is quite probable.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Quite probable..

I will try to organise something and somehow gather up all the girls in my grade who want to stay in Advanced but got a drop out letter.

This is not going to be easy but I will try.

This is quite probable.
Get onto Facebook or whatever and send a message to everyone who got droped to standard (and find out how many more got droped from Advanced to Standard). Discuss why they want to stay in advanced and such and what they are going to do in order to achieve a band 5/6 in english advanced HSC, and then when it's first day back, get into a group of 20+ and then storm the head teacher and complain right in his/her face and tell him/her it's unfair, if you don't like the outcome, take it up to your year advisor and the principal, if that doesn't go in your favour either, take it out of school to the DET and like I said do it all in groups to ensure a higher chance of success. The more the better

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Get onto Facebook or whatever and send a message to everyone who got droped to standard (and find out how many more got droped from Advanced to Standard). Discuss why they want to stay in advanced and such and what they are going to do in order to achieve a band 5/6 in english advanced HSC, and then when it's first day back, get into a group of 20+ and then storm the head teacher and complain right in his/her face and tell him/her it's unfair, if you don't like the outcome, take it up to your year advisor and the principal, if that doesn't go in your favour either, take it out of school to the DET and like I said do it all in groups to ensure a higher chance of success. The more the better
Drongoski advised against being confrontational though.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Drongoski advised against being confrontational though.
Oh yeah, well IDK what to do, I think complain in large groups but in a less violent manner???
I agree, don't pull a protest it's just a subject and it's your fault for not doing well enough to be dropped out anyway
"It's a subject"-a subject where less than 1% of the state gets a band 6. I don't think students can relax, doing a subject where it is beyond difficult to get a band 6 when you can do a harder subject and get even a band 5 and not put in so much effort compared to doing an easier subject with a very low band 6 rate is somewhat important if you plan to get a good atar (which a lot of people want)

Also I don't think teachers realise this but they take yr 11 too seriously and think that yr 11 is like the HSC. They don't seem to realise that ppl can manage to pull their arses up and get much better marks as compared to prelim-it's all about learning from your mistakes that Bluee has realised, after getting kicked out of advanced with like 50 other ppl in his cohort, yet when this mistake is done, you can't treat its wounds (if you get what I mean)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Oh yeah, well IDK what to do, I think complain in large groups but in a less violent manner???

"It's a subject"-a subject where less than 1% of the state gets a band 6. I don't think students can relax, doing a subject where it is beyond difficult to get a band 6 when you can do a harder subject and get even a band 5 and not put in so much effort compared to doing an easier subject with a very low band 6 rate is somewhat important if you plan to get a good atar (which a lot of people want)

Also I don't think teachers realise this but they take yr 11 too seriously and think that yr 11 is like the HSC. They don't seem to realise that ppl can manage to pull their arses up and get much better marks as compared to prelim-it's all about learning from your mistakes that Bluee has realised, after getting kicked out of advanced with like 50 other ppl in his cohort, yet when this mistake is done, you can't treat its wounds (if you get what I mean)
Well 4 unit maths had 36.05% band 6's last year and 2 unit had 19.69% last year, does that make 4 unit easier? No it doesn't, it just means more smart people do 4 unit. Same goes for english, if all of the advanced people did standard, there would probably be a 15% band 6 rate for standard like there is for advanced approximately.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Well 4 unit maths had 36.05% band 6's last year and 2 unit had 19.69% last year, does that make 4 unit easier? No it doesn't, it just means more smart people do 4 unit. Same goes for english, if all of the advanced people did standard, there would probably be a 15% band 6 rate for standard like there is for advanced approximately.
No, english standard and advanced are similar in some sense, they've got a similar workload and advanced is only a little more difficult than standard, not that much more difficult than standard, so obviously if you thought about this, your first instinct is to do Advanced, right because advanced scales higher, there is a higher band 6 percentage rate and there is only a minor difference in difficulty

To secure a spot for a band 6 in english standard, you need to be ranked at least first. Also Pikachu, I remember talking to you about this in the senior science or chemistry thread, you said that that was because most of the better kids to take their learning more serious resort to Advanced. That is true in that sense but I think no matter how many 'serious' kids there are in standard, getting a band 6 is still difficult due to the percentage rate of band 6's

My school got no band 6's last year for english standard and looking at my standard cohort this year, I can see approximately 4 students that take their learning seriously out of a standard cohort of like 50, and yet I'm predicting 1 band 6 for next year's HSC, not 4

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Also just saying but something like 95 for English standard is a state rank mark if you compared that to advanced which is like 97/98

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)