Is ranked first in every subject necessary? (1 Viewer)

dabatman

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

A friend of mine wanted to ask a question. He asks "Do I need to be ranked in every subject in order to be unaffected by a bad cohort?". This is because he attends a school ranked ranked around 190ish and when he received his rankings back he got around 3rd place in 2 subjects. BUT, his percentage mark for the 3rd place subjects are around 95 - 97ish%.

How does ranking in a cohort work? Does one necessarily need to get 1st place? Is it true that your Atar will be affected if you rank after 1st place OR you won't be affected if you rank close to first place e.g. 2nd, 3rd, 4th (if your in the top 3 or 5)?

He has tried researching but there are conflicting answers. Some people say that your Atar will be affected if you are ranked after first and some people say they won't as long as you get close to top 3?

Thanks guys he would really appreciate it if you answered :lol:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
first is ideal, but 2nd isn't so bad either

anything lower and you will be affected by your cohort

kawaiipotato

HSC
really? so, coming 3rd, 4th, 5th isn't good?
It all really depends on how high your friend is aiming for. I think coming 3rd/4th/5th should be fine in a rank-190ish school to not get affected by a cohort (obviously being 1st would mean you won't get affected at all) (and depends on the relative difficulty of your school exams with the HSC exams). I was 2nd internally for 3 of my 4 subjects in a rank 450ish school and I was barely affected (my HSC mark and internal mark differed by 2-3 max).

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
really? so, coming 3rd, 4th, 5th isn't good?
His mark is close to first, so his moderated (adjusted) mark will also be close to first. That's all that matters, don't worry about rank.

All marks affect each other. It's a cohort, not individual students. The higher the group's marks are, the higher the adjusted marks will be. Vice-versa for lower.

duck4

HSC
Hopefully this example will help:
In bio last year I came second in my cohort for internal assessments by about 0.6%. I got 96 in the HSC exam, which was the highest mark of my cohort. So the girl who came first got 96 as her assessment mark, and mine was 95 (because I was close behind her). That meant that my overall mark was 95.5, which got rounded up to 96 anyway.
Should I have been coming third my assessment mark might have only moved to 94, which would have brought my overall mark down to 95. But if I was coming a really close third it is possible that nothing would have changed.
So its really all dependent on how close everyone is
Hope this helps :)

boredsatan

HSC
It's not necessary, but it will help to get a really good score to be ranked first or really close to it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)