Like Tree8Likes

Thread: First job at 18 y.o?

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Re: First job at 18 y.o?

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting95 View Post
    LOL
    I'm not even joking, that is a direct quote.

Quote Originally Posted by obliviousninja View Post
    You could always try advising talent 100 and matrix on their atar calculators.
    I should be the face of both those sites eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Should i change my DP? Drifting95's Avatar
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Adrita View Post
    I'm not even joking, that is a direct quote.
    Dead
    UNSW- B Commerce/Law

$15 Band 6 Notes- Economics, Business Studies & CAFS http://community.boredofstudies.org/...d.php?t=316614

Essay Marking services: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...7-25-atar.html

Economics & Business studies Tutoring:http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post6515389

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by wannaspoon View Post
    would also like to know an answer to that...

I've even had one of my mates (who works in HR) tell me my CV is top notch... and I just keep getting shafted for some weird reason...
    Many large firms don't want overqualified people because they know that they will leave within a few years.

My parents told me that I may have better chances by saying I'm not going to uni next year and that I didn't even finish year 12.

But then again I haven't applied for fast food yet.

The next best time to start applying will be actually at this time or late January and early February as they will start hiring again for Easter.

Also, start applying at around September this year for the Christmas shifts at the end of this year.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by anomalousdecay View Post
    Many large firms don't want overqualified people because they know that they will leave within a few years.

My parents told me that I may have better chances by saying I'm not going to uni next year and that I didn't even finish year 12.

But then again I haven't applied for fast food yet.

The next best time to start applying will be actually at this time or late January and early February as they will start hiring again for Easter.

Also, start applying at around September this year for the Christmas shifts at the end of this year.
    I was thinking that may be a reason for my difficulties getting a part time job but getting an accounting cadetship offer (i declined due to personal reasons).

I'm just too beast for retail *insert arrogance
    UNSW- B Commerce/Law

$15 Band 6 Notes- Economics, Business Studies & CAFS http://community.boredofstudies.org/...d.php?t=316614

Economics & Business studies Tutoring:http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post6515389

HSC

I was thinking that may be a reason for my difficulties getting a part time job but getting an accounting cadetship offer (i declined due to personal reasons).

I'm just too beast for retail *insert arrogance
    I'm in the same boat as you for that. Got an offer for a scholarship which I declined because I didn't want to do that course.

But yeah I was hoping for some type of engo job, because I even have a whitecard and everything.

I don't know what types of part time jobs are directly relevant to engo though.

HSC

If you're looking for the first job, don't worry too much about relevance. Just try and get employed e.g. at Maccas - you have demonstrated you can work in a team environment (rather than 50% of the applicant saying 'I'm a team player'). For recent HSC grads, office junior/admin jobs would be good (definitely helped me) - they are also generally easy to get (luck really). It is important you get some experience or you may struggle when applying for 'relevant' internships. (Unless you top your university cohort + volunteer 10 hours/week to a uni society + smash the interview - employers will compromise)
    Last edited by RishBonjour; 12 Jan 2014 at 9:58 AM.
    B. Comm/B. Laws , Sydney.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by RishBonjour View Post
    If you're looking for the first job, don't worry too much about relevance. Just try and get employed e.g. at Maccas - you have demonstrated you can work in a team environment (rather than 50% of the applicant saying 'I'm a team player'). For recent HSC grads, office junior/admin jobs would be good (definitely helped me) - they are also generally easy to get (luck really). It is important you get some experience or you may struggle when applying for 'relevant' internships. (Unless you top your university cohort + volunteer 10 hours/week to a uni society + smash the interview - employers will compromise)
    Could you please elaborate as to what/where this type of work is?
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can never be certain of their validity"
    - William Shakespeare

Existential Crisis InsoulvencyReaper's Avatar
    HSC

I applied on SEEK throughout the HSC exams and went to interviews on days where I didn't have exams.

Seriously, there are so many law firms and accounting firms hiring right now, it's not even funny. Just make sure your resume sells you and your skills. You just have to hope you have one of the best resumes in the group and do well in the interview.

HSC grads when entering office junior/admin jobs - they usually look for confident and eager workers. You may not have the skills but if you're eager to learn they'll hire you.

Office Junior/Admin Assistants do the following:
    - Reception (answering directing calls/greeting clients)
    - Kitchen Duties
    - Sorting, distributing, sending out outbound mail
    - Filing/Archiving (maintaining client files)
    - Sometimes accounts/payable receivable
    - Customer Service
    - Process payroll
    - Writing business letters
    - Scanning, binding & photocopying
    - Administrative: data entry, all round office assistance (may be technical or doing above for staff)

I do most of the above and man the share registry - I just answer share holding inquiries and update SCRIP.

There are many things juniors do. Usually the administrator above you, will teach you how to do everything or if you're unlucky you're on your own and will have to write your own manuals.

Once your in, it's really easy. Trust me.
    Last edited by InsoulvencyReaper; 13 Jan 2014 at 2:21 PM.
    trungduong12 likes this.
    B Business, Accounting and Business Law - UTS #SerialTransferee #EternalStudent #UACHallofFame

HSC
    N/A

Dead
    People on gumtree are blunt image.jpg

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Adrita View Post
    People on gumtree are blunt image.jpg
    omfg hahahahaha
    UNSW- B Commerce/Law

HSC

hey guys
    iam currently in yr 12 and started looking for a job now
    its quite late i know
    but i dont get how my friends could get in coles and woolies or kmart
    but i checked on those websites
    they were not hiring in Sydney area anymore ;(

any other suggestions for jobs PLEASE ?

HSC

*bump*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSC

http://www.newspoll.com.au/work-for-...e-interviewer/

I swear to god these guys take absolutely everyone and no one I know who have applied has ever been turned down. I think it's pretty much guaranteed employment if you can read out loud.

$25/hr but it's a shit job. Would rather work at Maccas tbh

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Crobat View Post
    http://www.newspoll.com.au/work-for-...e-interviewer/

I swear to god these guys take absolutely everyone and no one I know who have applied has ever been turned down. I think it's pretty much guaranteed employment if you can read out loud.

$25/hr but it's a shit job. Would rather work at Maccas tbh
    Is that just an over the phone job?

If so I would want to do that over the summer break. Talking over the phone about that type of stuff is the best.

Honestly, it gives you the opportunity to have some really fun phone calls.

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

I shall be slayving at maccas in semester holidays
    Quote Originally Posted by Melancholia View Post
    From time to time I feel lost inside this melody
    It's like a fantasy, except it's called reality
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

HSC

Is that just an over the phone job?

If so I would want to do that over the summer break. Talking over the phone about that type of stuff is the best.

Honestly, it gives you the opportunity to have some really fun phone calls.
    yes it is

no it isn't

no it doesn't

everything is scripted, no one likes you, prepare for a maelstrom of abuse

HSC

Why that job so sh*t if ur just talking over the phone? 0.0<~~

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Arv21 View Post
    Ok so I'm 18, finished the HSC last year and have been looking for a job (ANY job) for the past 2-3 weeks. I don't really have any prior work experience which I could put on my resume (unless you count the volunteer week in yr 10) and I understand that not only am I old and therefore must be paid more but I also started applying pretty late : /

I did get called for an interview at KFC but apparently they 'found someone else' and apart from that, no one else has really replied...

So what I'm asking is if anyone has any advice for how to increase my chances of getting a job or if anyone has been in the same position as me? What I'm thinking is maybe wait till the school holidays are over and maybe some of the fast food places will open up a bit. But yeah... I know it was pretty stupid to hold off getting a job for so long but theres nothing much I can do about that.

Any help or advice is appreciated
    ermahgerd. im turning 17 soon and have never had a part time job. my father claims that i dont need to work right now and should focus on my studies, but i want a job so i can get money and experience. I guess i'll be in the same position as you next year when i finish my HSC i hope I can get a job somewhere...do you think its worth me applying for jobs now without telling my parents and if im successful, then tell them? or should i put it off and just wait for my HSC to be over. none of my friends have jobs either. i never did volunteering so i have pretty much nothing to put on my resume D:

HSC

yes it is

no it isn't

no it doesn't

everything is scripted, no one likes you, prepare for a maelstrom of abuse
    Quote Originally Posted by trungduong12 View Post
    Why that job so sh*t if ur just talking over the phone? 0.0<~~

Maybe to you.

But see being someone who deals very well and laughs at other people getting angry (no shit I have a great laugh at people when they are full angry and serious with words), its very easy to play with them. Honestly, the job description is to get as many surveys as possible right? Well by aggravating their behaviour, you get a good result for the survey where they tell you what they really feel, and you get to have fun with it too.

Honestly if I did that, I'd make the job into an ownage pranks saga, while still getting the job done.

You guys need to be creative. Honestly in my days I have confused countless of private callers on my phone to the point that I lead them on a goose chase as to who I am.

This includes making up postcodes which do not belong to the suburb I have named to live in

They are legit postcodes but from the other side of the city

HSC

Whoever wants a job at maccas, shoot me a PM; I'll try arrange it.

Store is located in the city; George street.

HSC

But see being someone who deals very well and laughs at other people getting angry (no shit I have a great laugh at people when they are full angry and serious with words), its very easy to play with them. Honestly, the job description is to get as many surveys as possible right? Well by aggravating their behaviour, you get a good result for the survey where they tell you what they really feel, and you get to have fun with it too.

Honestly if I did that, I'd make the job into an ownage pranks saga, while still getting the job done.

You guys need to be creative. Honestly in my days I have confused countless of private callers on my phone to the point that I lead them on a goose chase as to who I am.

This includes making up postcodes which do not belong to the suburb I have named to live in

They are legit postcodes but from the other side of the city
    Great idea in theory, except that's not how it works. You get abused and then they hang up on you and you don't get the survey. They hate you because you are calling, not because you are doing a survey. Also, if your supervisor hears your client is annoyed, they will "discipline" you which basically means that they'll be watching you closely for the next 2 or so weeks to determine if they'll fire you or not. Their pride comes from polite telephone manner and if you do anything that instigates anger in your client you're pretty much next on the firing list. The staff turnover rate there is HUGE. They're always hiring because like 50% of the staff leave every month (not even exaggerating, I was hired in a group of 13 and there were 4 other groups starting the same week as I was).

If they refuse, you're not allowed to pester them to take the survey. If they're annoyed, you're not allowed to pester them to take the survey. You're expected to fill a quota per hour which is usually somewhere around 1 (i.e. 1 survey an hour), but was often <1.

It is a job that literally doesn't for any creative ingenuity because it doesn't permit it and yet still demands your consciousness. You sit at a phone listening to dial tones and answering machines for hours on end, and in the event someone picks up, 9 times out of 10 they hang up on you after you go through your scripted intro, most of the time while you're giving it, and most of the time not without a torrent of abuse (at which stage you're not allowed to get them to give answers to the survey because it will bias their answer). One of the huge emphasis they put on you is being able to read verbatim and without indicating a preference of one answer over the other, which means if you provoke the client they'll tap you on the shoulder and tell you to terminate the survey if you don't do it on your own accord.

Seriously if you think "being creative" is something you're good at or like doing a lot of, this job isn't really going to work out for you because you're not allowed to use any creativity. In fact, it doesn't work out for pretty much everyone.

But it's good that you think you can bring something new to the job. Unfortunately though, creativity is neither something particularly new or relevant to this one.

tl;dr creativity isn't allowed, you just sit and take abuse and can't do anything about it, you're not allowed to take a survey with someone angry
    Last edited by Crobat; 29 May 2014 at 12:31 AM.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Great idea in theory, except that's not how it works. You get abused and then they hang up on you and you don't get the survey. They hate you because you are calling, not because you are doing a survey. Also, if your supervisor hears your client is annoyed, they will "discipline" you which basically means that they'll be watching you closely for the next 2 or so weeks to determine if they'll fire you or not. Their pride comes from polite telephone manner and if you do anything that instigates anger in your client you're pretty much next on the firing list. The staff turnover rate there is HUGE. They're always hiring because like 50% of the staff leave every month (not even exaggerating, I was hired in a group of 13 and there were 4 other groups starting the same week as I was).

If they refuse, you're not allowed to pester them to take the survey. If they're annoyed, you're not allowed to pester them to take the survey. You're expected to fill a quota per hour which is usually somewhere around 1 (i.e. 1 survey an hour), but was often <1.

It is a job that literally doesn't for any creative ingenuity because it doesn't permit it and yet still demands your consciousness. You sit at a phone listening to dial tones and answering machines for hours on end, and in the event someone picks up, 9 times out of 10 they hang up on you after you go through your scripted intro, most of the time while you're giving it, and most of the time not without a torrent of abuse (at which stage you're not allowed to get them to give answers to the survey because it will bias their answer). One of the huge emphasis they put on you is being able to read verbatim and without indicating a preference of one answer over the other, which means if you provoke the client they'll tap you on the shoulder and tell you to terminate the survey if you don't do it on your own accord.

Seriously if you think "being creative" is something you're good at or like doing a lot of, this job isn't really going to work out for you because you're not allowed to use any creativity. In fact, it doesn't work out for pretty much everyone.

But it's good that you think you can bring something new to the job. Unfortunately though, creativity is neither something particularly new or relevant to this one.

tl;dr creativity isn't allowed, you just sit and take abuse and can't do anything about it, you're not allowed to take a survey with someone angry
    That sounds incredibly depressing.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by OzKo View Post
    That sounds incredibly depressing.
    Dude it's so bad because the only people who do these are lonely old people and once that quota is filled you're looking for 18-34 year olds or 35-49 year olds who are either never home or too tired to give a shit about what you are asking in a 15 minute survey. Sometimes you go through your entire fucking intro and then you can't do anything with them even if they're willing and then they get annoyed about you wasting their time and still calling them inconveniently between 5-10pm at night.

HSC
    Uni Grad

fk i need a dollar

Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) /Commerce @ UNSW 2018

Hi.

| HSC 2013 | Chemistry | Physics | Ext. 1 Mathematics | Engineering Studies | Standard English |

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by kalstar View Post
    fk i need a dollar
    dollar, dollar is what I need...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information