First job at 18 y.o? (1 Viewer)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Keep looking. What you need is perseverance.

I started looking for a job after trials and kept being rejected.
After about a month of not even receiving interviews I finally got one for a small law firm. To my surprise, I actually got the job which was originally admin/reception work. However, after about 6 months they trained me to do paralegal work.

You just need to keep trying and something will happen.

However if you're sick of looking, maybe try some volunteer work as that is just as good as an actual job, if not better in terms of a resume.

Arv21

HSC
Yeah, I'm seriously considering doing some volunteer work, I just need that work experience...

And wow a law firm O.O How did you manage that? Did you just apply online?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I'm seriously considering doing some volunteer work, I just need that work experience...

And wow a law firm O.O How did you manage that? Did you just apply online?
The sad thing is I have plenty of volunteer exp on mine, yet they don't give a shit. I started applying in Nov, still no luck *sigh*
All I got off Gumtree was stupid "can we meet a few times a week for fun time I pay you cash" kinda stuff.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
The sad thing is I have plenty of volunteer exp on mine, yet they don't give a shit. I started applying in Nov, still no luck *sigh*
All I got off Gumtree was stupid "can we meet a few times a week for fun time I pay you cash" kinda stuff.
LOL

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
You could always try advising talent 100 and matrix on their atar calculators.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
would also like to know an answer to that...

I've even had one of my mates (who works in HR) tell me my CV is top notch... and I just keep getting shafted for some weird reason...
Many large firms don't want overqualified people because they know that they will leave within a few years.

My parents told me that I may have better chances by saying I'm not going to uni next year and that I didn't even finish year 12.

But then again I haven't applied for fast food yet.

The next best time to start applying will be actually at this time or late January and early February as they will start hiring again for Easter.

Also, start applying at around September this year for the Christmas shifts at the end of this year.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Many large firms don't want overqualified people because they know that they will leave within a few years.

My parents told me that I may have better chances by saying I'm not going to uni next year and that I didn't even finish year 12.

But then again I haven't applied for fast food yet.

The next best time to start applying will be actually at this time or late January and early February as they will start hiring again for Easter.

Also, start applying at around September this year for the Christmas shifts at the end of this year.
I was thinking that may be a reason for my difficulties getting a part time job but getting an accounting cadetship offer (i declined due to personal reasons).

I'm just too beast for retail *insert arrogance

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I was thinking that may be a reason for my difficulties getting a part time job but getting an accounting cadetship offer (i declined due to personal reasons).

I'm just too beast for retail *insert arrogance
I'm in the same boat as you for that. Got an offer for a scholarship which I declined because I didn't want to do that course.

But yeah I was hoping for some type of engo job, because I even have a whitecard and everything.

I don't know what types of part time jobs are directly relevant to engo though.

RishBonjour

HSC
If you're looking for the first job, don't worry too much about relevance. Just try and get employed e.g. at Maccas - you have demonstrated you can work in a team environment (rather than 50% of the applicant saying 'I'm a team player'). For recent HSC grads, office junior/admin jobs would be good (definitely helped me) - they are also generally easy to get (luck really). It is important you get some experience or you may struggle when applying for 'relevant' internships. (Unless you top your university cohort + volunteer 10 hours/week to a uni society + smash the interview - employers will compromise)

Last edited:

Lina3

HSC
If you're looking for the first job, don't worry too much about relevance. Just try and get employed e.g. at Maccas - you have demonstrated you can work in a team environment (rather than 50% of the applicant saying 'I'm a team player'). For recent HSC grads, office junior/admin jobs would be good (definitely helped me) - they are also generally easy to get (luck really). It is important you get some experience or you may struggle when applying for 'relevant' internships. (Unless you top your university cohort + volunteer 10 hours/week to a uni society + smash the interview - employers will compromise)
Could you please elaborate as to what/where this type of work is?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I applied on SEEK throughout the HSC exams and went to interviews on days where I didn't have exams.

Seriously, there are so many law firms and accounting firms hiring right now, it's not even funny. Just make sure your resume sells you and your skills. You just have to hope you have one of the best resumes in the group and do well in the interview.

HSC grads when entering office junior/admin jobs - they usually look for confident and eager workers. You may not have the skills but if you're eager to learn they'll hire you.

Office Junior/Admin Assistants do the following:
- Reception (answering directing calls/greeting clients)
- Kitchen Duties
- Sorting, distributing, sending out outbound mail
- Filing/Archiving (maintaining client files)
- Sometimes accounts/payable receivable
- Customer Service
- Process payroll
- Writing business letters
- Scanning, binding & photocopying
- Administrative: data entry, all round office assistance (may be technical or doing above for staff)

I do most of the above and man the share registry - I just answer share holding inquiries and update SCRIP.

There are many things juniors do. Usually the administrator above you, will teach you how to do everything or if you're unlucky you're on your own and will have to write your own manuals.

Once your in, it's really easy. Trust me.

Last edited:

trungduong12

HSC
hey guys
iam currently in yr 12 and started looking for a job now
its quite late i know
but i dont get how my friends could get in coles and woolies or kmart
but i checked on those websites
they were not hiring in Sydney area anymore ;(

any other suggestions for jobs PLEASE ?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
http://www.newspoll.com.au/work-for-us-2/market-research-telephone-interviewer/

I swear to god these guys take absolutely everyone and no one I know who have applied has ever been turned down. I think it's pretty much guaranteed employment if you can read out loud.

$25/hr but it's a shit job. Would rather work at Maccas tbh
Is that just an over the phone job?

If so I would want to do that over the summer break. Talking over the phone about that type of stuff is the best.

Honestly, it gives you the opportunity to have some really fun phone calls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)