Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: First job at 18 y.o?

HSC

Re: First job at 18 y.o?

Quote Originally Posted by Crobat View Post
    Great idea in theory, except that's not how it works. You get abused and then they hang up on you and you don't get the survey. They hate you because you are calling, not because you are doing a survey. Also, if your supervisor hears your client is annoyed, they will "discipline" you which basically means that they'll be watching you closely for the next 2 or so weeks to determine if they'll fire you or not. Their pride comes from polite telephone manner and if you do anything that instigates anger in your client you're pretty much next on the firing list. The staff turnover rate there is HUGE. They're always hiring because like 50% of the staff leave every month (not even exaggerating, I was hired in a group of 13 and there were 4 other groups starting the same week as I was).

If they refuse, you're not allowed to pester them to take the survey. If they're annoyed, you're not allowed to pester them to take the survey. You're expected to fill a quota per hour which is usually somewhere around 1 (i.e. 1 survey an hour), but was often <1.

It is a job that literally doesn't for any creative ingenuity because it doesn't permit it and yet still demands your consciousness. You sit at a phone listening to dial tones and answering machines for hours on end, and in the event someone picks up, 9 times out of 10 they hang up on you after you go through your scripted intro, most of the time while you're giving it, and most of the time not without a torrent of abuse (at which stage you're not allowed to get them to give answers to the survey because it will bias their answer). One of the huge emphasis they put on you is being able to read verbatim and without indicating a preference of one answer over the other, which means if you provoke the client they'll tap you on the shoulder and tell you to terminate the survey if you don't do it on your own accord.

Seriously if you think "being creative" is something you're good at or like doing a lot of, this job isn't really going to work out for you because you're not allowed to use any creativity. In fact, it doesn't work out for pretty much everyone.

But it's good that you think you can bring something new to the job. Unfortunately though, creativity is neither something particularly new or relevant to this one.

tl;dr creativity isn't allowed, you just sit and take abuse and can't do anything about it, you're not allowed to take a survey with someone angry
    Well I might try it once. Even though I might get fired after a few days, it will be an experience to talk about (yeah I talk about every experience I have). And being a creative person I might be able to give good ideas to the boss if I'm lucky and get a good position.

It will be a great conversation starter. Even at interviews!

Will probs apply in the summer holidays or maybe even in the mid year holidays for a few weeks or so.

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by anomalousdecay View Post
    Well I might try it once. Even though I might get fired after a few days, it will be an experience to talk about (yeah I talk about every experience I have). And being a creative person I might be able to give good ideas to the boss if I'm lucky and get a good position.

It will be a great conversation starter. Even at interviews!

Will probs apply in the summer holidays or maybe even in the mid year holidays for a few weeks or so.
    Don't do it, oh lord. You don't know what you'll get yourself into.

It's good pay but so so so bad.

HSC

Lol yeah nah I'm already on to bigger and better things now.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by anomalousdecay View Post
    Lol yeah nah I'm already on to bigger and better things now.
    big boi
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

woolies repping' 2k14
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Being View Post
    I apply my snaking skills into LoL, which is the basis of my success.
    There's no better snake than Teemo.
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information