Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: First job at 18 y.o?

Cadet
    HSC

First job at 18 y.o?

Ok so I'm 18, finished the HSC last year and have been looking for a job (ANY job) for the past 2-3 weeks. I don't really have any prior work experience which I could put on my resume (unless you count the volunteer week in yr 10) and I understand that not only am I old and therefore must be paid more but I also started applying pretty late : /

I did get called for an interview at KFC but apparently they 'found someone else' and apart from that, no one else has really replied...

So what I'm asking is if anyone has any advice for how to increase my chances of getting a job or if anyone has been in the same position as me? What I'm thinking is maybe wait till the school holidays are over and maybe some of the fast food places will open up a bit. But yeah... I know it was pretty stupid to hold off getting a job for so long but theres nothing much I can do about that.

Any help or advice is appreciated

Cadet
    HSC

Re: First job at 18 y.o?

I'm in the exact same position. I have applied to a lot of places but no one has even called me yet. I've done a great deal of community service and volunteer work as well. Perhaps after the holidays something will come up.

HSC

I got into football (soccer) refereeing just in the past year.

That was fun, I got paid to exercise pretty much, and... yeah. So if there's a sport you're into, umpiring or refereeing as a job could work.
    JT145 and Kolmias like this.
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

HSC

Yup, in same position. Just keep trying, and something will come up eventually. Also, if you are going to uni next year and still don't have a job by the time you start, get involved in more volunteer work and maybe consider getting a job in or around the campus. However, one thing I will say is don't get overly fixated at trying to get work in a fast food chain. Nine times out of ten they prefer a 14-15 year olds as they can pay them less.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can never be certain of their validity"
    - William Shakespeare

HSC

May I suggest applying for pick/pack or other factory/warehouse jobs. Pay is pretty good and work is simple albeit physically demanding.

HSC

I've been applying since the HSC ended and haven't received a job yet. Heavy days.
    "In West Philadelphia born and raised..." - Suetonius

HSC

Try and hand in your application to the person who does the actual hiring. Some people will say it's superstitious but at the end of the day if that person can attach a face to your resume out of the 100's that flood their desk then (at least i believe) you're more likely to advance through the hiring process.

Other than that all you can really do is give your resume another look to make sure it's the best paper representation of you there is. The more eye-catching the more likely you are to get an interview over the next 15 year old who wants the same job.

If you're applying to entry level jobs like fast food and retail then they don't expect any experience at all so that shouldn't be an issue for you. (focus on selling yourself as you are today, include achievements, aspirations, future course of study if applicable etc)

PM me if you'd like more resume advice
    Arv21 likes this.

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMike96 View Post
    I've been applying since the HSC ended and haven't received a job yet. Heavy days.
    Ugh tell me about it, so have I. After putting an ad up on Gumtree all I got was indecent proposals.

Cadet
    HSC

Thanks for the replies guys This getting a job thing just worries me because I've heard that even if you have the most prestigious degree from the most prestigious University, you won't be getting employed unless you have previous work experience, which frankly scares the crap outta me. I don't wanna end up on the streets D:

But yeah, I'm starting to realise that Maccas and KFC etc. prefer younger people... I'll try handing in my resume to local shops on the weekend and have a go at some of the other suggestions too. At least its comforting to know I'm not the only one stuck in the same position... (edit: not saying it's a good thing LOL)

Hope you can all find jobs too!
    Last edited by Arv21; 10 Jan 2014 at 11:58 PM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Arv21 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys This getting a job thing just worries me because I've heard that even if you have the most prestigious degree from the most prestigious University, you won't be getting employed unless you have previous work experience, which frankly scares the crap outta me. I don't wanna end up on the streets D:

But yeah, I'm starting to realise that Maccas and KFC etc. prefer younger people... I'll try handing in my resume to local shops on the weekend and have a go at some of the other suggestions too. At least its comforting to know I'm not the only one stuck in the same position... (edit: not saying it's a good thing LOL)

Hope you can all find jobs too!
    It's not work experience they want, it's relevant work experience, mostly.

If you're looking for a job just for money, then it doesn't matter. If you want a job with a view to helping your career, you should get in on internships and summer vacation scholarships and things like that.
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad
    Got rejected at maccas last month. Now doing admin work at an accounting and consulting firm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Being View Post
    I apply my snaking skills into LoL, which is the basis of my success.
    There's no better snake than Teemo.
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by obliviousninja View Post
    Got rejected at maccas last month. Now doing admin work at an accounting and consulting firm.
    You're moving up in the world.

HSC
    N/A

How did that happen? Were you overqualified to work at Maccas?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by tashe View Post
    How did that happen? Were you overqualified to work at Maccas?
    They feared I would alienate the other employees with my high ATAR and skills.
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

Retired Sept '14 LoveHateSchool's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Sometimes you'll have more luck at non chain businesses. Most chains (esp. fast food) want them as young as you can get, but some smaller business prefer you to be 17-18 at least, especially if it's a place that works later nights/is more upmarket.

It's hardest to get the first rung on the ladder, once you get experience in one job, acquiring the second becomes easier.
    Ex-mod dawg- Nov '12-Sept '14

Cadet
    HSC

Would that mean places like restaurants or bars? I've looked into that but most of those places want you to have past experience in food and customer service and have an RSA certificate...

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by studybuddy101 View Post
    Try and hand in your application to the person who does the actual hiring. Some people will say it's superstitious but at the end of the day if that person can attach a face to your resume out of the 100's that flood their desk then (at least i believe) you're more likely to advance through the hiring process.
    this is really good advice, if you can leave a good impresion on the manager
    then even if u lack in experience, the manager may still hire you

The only thing u can do really is just continue non stop applying at places
    Ive had alot of work experience, since 15 in like 2 retail stores and also my own private buisness
    which is why when i applied after hsc, i had 3 replies

But on ur resume, make it look as professional as possible
    and if u dont have work experience
    talk about skills and experiences at ur volunteering

how did u get that job man?
    thats amazing, pay? :O
    Arv21 likes this.
    2013: Adv eng(5/50) , maths ext 1(3/24) , maths ext 2 (2/9), physics(3/14) , bio (3/44)
    atar 2013- 97.5
    [/SIZE]

CHEAP PHYSICS AND BIO TUTORING http://community.boredofstudies.org/...d.php?t=316513

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by fionarykim View Post
    would also like to know an answer to that...

I've even had one of my mates (who works in HR) tell me my CV is top notch... and I just keep getting shafted for some weird reason...

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Quote Originally Posted by fionarykim View Post
    Around 30/hr
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaspoon View Post
    would also like to know an answer to that...

I've even had one of my mates (who works in HR) tell me my CV is top notch... and I just keep getting shafted for some weird reason...
    You need da conneshions.

Retired Sept '14 LoveHateSchool's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Would that mean places like restaurants or bars? I've looked into that but most of those places want you to have past experience in food and customer service and have an RSA certificate...
    Getting an RSA/RCG is really easy. Also barista training is normally only a day's training and helps in getting cafe work.
    Ex-mod dawg- Nov '12-Sept '14

HSC
    Uni Grad

Keep looking. What you need is perseverance.

I started looking for a job after trials and kept being rejected.
    After about a month of not even receiving interviews I finally got one for a small law firm. To my surprise, I actually got the job which was originally admin/reception work. However, after about 6 months they trained me to do paralegal work.

You just need to keep trying and something will happen.

However if you're sick of looking, maybe try some volunteer work as that is just as good as an actual job, if not better in terms of a resume.
    Arv21 likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Yeah, I'm seriously considering doing some volunteer work, I just need that work experience...

And wow a law firm O.O How did you manage that? Did you just apply online?

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Yeah, I'm seriously considering doing some volunteer work, I just need that work experience...

And wow a law firm O.O How did you manage that? Did you just apply online?
    The sad thing is I have plenty of volunteer exp on mine, yet they don't give a shit. I started applying in Nov, still no luck *sigh*
    All I got off Gumtree was stupid "can we meet a few times a week for fun time I pay you cash" kinda stuff.

Should i change my DP? Drifting95's Avatar
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Adrita View Post
    The sad thing is I have plenty of volunteer exp on mine, yet they don't give a shit. I started applying in Nov, still no luck *sigh*
    All I got off Gumtree was stupid "can we meet a few times a week for fun time I pay you cash" kinda stuff.
    LOL
    UNSW- B Commerce/Law

$15 Band 6 Notes- Economics, Business Studies & CAFS http://community.boredofstudies.org/...d.php?t=316614

Essay Marking services: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...7-25-atar.html

Economics & Business studies Tutoring:http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post6515389

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrita View Post
    You could always try advising talent 100 and matrix on their atar calculators.
    OzKo likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information