What should i be doing if im aiming to apply for a co-op scholarship? (1 Viewer)

HSC
You can do various activities that would prove your leadership and also show you have engaged in extra curricular activities and activities outside school like community help and volunteering etc, all these would not only prove you are capable student in school life but also would show your personality, desire and passion of leadership and commitment outside of school life.

May I also note, that it is very important to take into account your studies, it would be very disappointed if didn't get the Atar, as this would bring your chances down by getting the scholorship, so make sure to work your absolute best and get a high Atar.

Cheers, :)

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just one note on the above posts:

I applied for UNSW co-op. I have done many leadership activities (captaincy, forums, consensus involvement, etc).
I also was involved in sporting such as playing soccer with a club for seven years. I did a lot of fundraising throughout my years and charity involvements. I was also one of the top students in my school, with belief of a 90+ ATAR.
So a mate of mine who also applied and read my application said: "anomalous decay, if you don't get into the interview, there is no way I even have a chance of making it." He did not have as much involvement in the community, nor sporting or leadership qualities. He was about par on me in terms of academic excellence, if not a little less than me.

So overall this is what happened. We both are going into completely different fields. In the end I was not accepted at an interview and he was. So in the end, the field I wanted had less willing sponsors and more competition, taking around 10 applicants a year, whereas his field was open to many sponsors and takes about 30 applicants a year.

Moral of the story. You need luck to get in as well. And never assume that if you are doing all of this you are guaranteed. But remember, doing all these extra-curricular/leadership activities can be quite fun and will help later on in life, no matter what you end up doing.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

I applied for UNSW co-op. I have done many leadership activities (captaincy, forums, consensus involvement, etc).
I also was involved in sporting such as playing soccer with a club for seven years. I did a lot of fundraising throughout my years and charity involvements. I was also one of the top students in my school, with belief of a 90+ ATAR.
So a mate of mine who also applied and read my application said: "anomalous decay, if you don't get into the interview, there is no way I even have a chance of making it." He did not have as much involvement in the community, nor sporting or leadership qualities. He was about par on me in terms of academic excellence, if not a little less than me.

So overall this is what happened. We both are going into completely different fields. In the end I was not accepted at an interview and he was. So in the end, the field I wanted had less willing sponsors and more competition, taking around 10 applicants a year, whereas his field was open to many sponsors and takes about 30 applicants a year.

Moral of the story. You need luck to get in as well. And never assume that if you are doing all of this you are guaranteed. But remember, doing all these extra-curricular/leadership activities can be quite fun and will help later on in life, no matter what you end up doing.
That sucks man.

I really need to get involved in uni, i regret not doing much in school.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
good advice given, sucks by the sound of your situation but I hope the best for you.
Thank you. I will find my way. There is always a purpose for everything that happens in life. Good Luck with your studies mate, and feel free to pm about any advice on leadership or extra-curricular activities or general time management.

That sucks man.

I really need to get involved in uni, i regret not doing much in school.
You can still get involved now. Go to your local Red Cross service and donate blood.
Go do bucket collections for a charity (Salvos and Vinnies do this quite a bit)
Attend a local P and C (never did this but you can do it anytime)
Get a job, you are still getting involved in the community and getting paid.
Make study groups in uni. Join the student societies.
Join a sporting team. If not, do sports solo (Bike riding on streets and mountain tracks really helped me relax from study stress throughout the year).

And most importantly, even if you don't go to UNSW, follow their motto:

NEVER STAND STILL

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you. I will find my way. There is always a purpose for everything that happens in life. Good Luck with your studies mate, and feel free to pm about any advice on leadership or extra-curricular activities or general time management.

You can still get involved now. Go to your local Red Cross service and donate blood.
Go do bucket collections for a charity (Salvos and Vinnies do this quite a bit)
Attend a local P and C (never did this but you can do it anytime)
Get a job, you are still getting involved in the community and getting paid.
Make study groups in uni. Join the student societies.
Join a sporting team. If not, do sports solo (Bike riding on streets and mountain tracks really helped me relax from study stress throughout the year).

And most importantly, even if you don't go to UNSW, follow their motto:

NEVER STAND STILL
lel

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Yea, engineering stuff had had like 1-2 positions for each specific group. chemical/petrolum etc etc.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yea, engineering stuff had had like 1-2 positions for each specific group. chemical/petrolum etc etc.
Thanks bro. I feel so much better knowing that I didn't get for electrical because I am not a "perfect student" at ruse or a top 50 school that did everything I did.

And 1-2 is barely anything really. That's less than 1% of the students doing the course!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

I never understood why people put donating blood as part of their extra-curricular..it's like not really extra-curricular at all, it's just donating blood. I did it,but I don't figure it's just an activity that you do, it's more of an act. If you understand what I'm getting at.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I never understood why people put donating blood as part of their extra-curricular..it's like not really extra-curricular at all, it's just donating blood. I did it,but I don't figure it's just an activity that you do, it's more of an act. If you understand what I'm getting at.
Yeah true, but if you do it regularly, then it shows you have commitment.

We did it as part of the school, so it kind of was lol.

michaeljennings

HSC

Which stream did you and your friend apply for? Im guessing your friend applied for BIS/BIT or whatever they now call it

michaeljennings

HSC
Yes he did BIS.

I did elec eng.
Yea the engineering scholarships are way harder to get than the commerce ones and i reckon overall, the engineers in my year have better extra curriculars/stand out more etc relative to the commerce scholarship kids.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yea the engineering scholarships are way harder to get than the commerce ones and i reckon overall, the engineers in my year have better extra curriculars/stand out more etc relative to the commerce scholarship kids.
Yeah. And the funny thing is that the cut-off for the ASB ones are much higher.

Its because there is much easier sponsorship in the city with ASB stuff.
For Engineering, there is less sponsorship. Apparently this year, there was only one sponsor per engineering course so yeah.

Oh well. I should be fine any way ---> Don't cry over spilt milk

michaeljennings

HSC
Yeah. And the funny thing is that the cut-off for the ASB ones are much higher.

Its because there is much easier sponsorship in the city with ASB stuff.
For Engineering, there is less sponsorship. Apparently this year, there was only one sponsor per engineering course so yeah.

Oh well. I should be fine any way ---> Don't cry over spilt milk
Yea good attitude. I remember when interview offers came out when I was in yr 12, some guy who was in the same boat as you, had heaps good extra curriculars and stuff but didnt get an interview spat the dummy on BOS so hard everyone thought he was an arrogant prick lol.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
I reckon subjects count for 1% of the selection criteria

not even joking, but doing well with good ranks in a GPS school REALLY helps, so many co-ops I met during my first year came from kings, shore, scots

don't even ask about selective... i'll guarantee you 90% of all co-ops come from a selective school, not saying its a golden ticket, but it's an advantage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)