alright, so if i need 3000 posts for CS... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
how come some people have it with only around the same amount of posts as me? like, i know a few people are mods and all, but theres quite a few that i think aren't.

ps, please dont yell at me if this has already been answered elsewhere.

Last edited:

SoFTuaRiaL

people who have registered before dec 2002 require only 800 posts in order to get custom status. after that, u need 3000. the reason is that, many ppl, in order to get custom status have started spamming a lot (such as the post above me).
we have a whole 10 page thread on custom status. pls read it, before u post a new thread
:)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Also some people actually know the Admin, so they get CS or a non-standard Status of their choice.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
geez, whats up your butt, 'da monstar'? i dont intend to spam, and im sorry if i dont know quite as much as you about this site, all im doing is asking a simple question about status.

remember the old saying, 'if u cant say nething nice, dont say nething at all'

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
geez, whats up your butt, 'da monstar'? i dont intend to spam, and im sorry if i dont know quite as much as you about this site, all im doing is asking a simple question about status.

remember the old saying, 'if u cant say nething nice, dont say nething at all'
Da Monstar, was just a little ticked off with people resurrecting threads and reiterating the same old topic, without reading up first, as you can see it's not easy to be a mod, we have to spend time reading through posts and deleting redundant threads.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Why should someone 'read up' on a topic when they can just post a new thread, which in all likelihood would result in the former thread, often being full of useless info, being summarisd within a single post?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
Da Monstar, was just a little ticked off with people resurrecting threads and reiterating the same old topic, without reading up first, as you can see it's not easy to be a mod, we have to spend time reading through posts and deleting redundant threads.
Da Monster isn't a Mod.

And this is a Mod-less forum. I asked... but there was no need for one.
Originally posted by Generator
Why should someone 'read up' on a topic when they can just post a new thread, which in all likelihood would result in the former thread, often being full of useless info, being summarisd within a single post?
Good point. :) (Although, one could understand the problem if the post in question is just a few posts above another one like it.)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
Also some people actually know the Admin, so they get CS or a non-standard Status of their choice.
Though not all of the Admins agree with that policy... :rolleyes:

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Da Monstar
people who have registered before dec 2002 require only 800 posts in order to get custom status. after that, u need 3000.
hipsta_jess, if that doesnt answer ur question, i dunno what does ......

pls read it, before u post a new thread
pls being the key word .....

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Actually, it's also quite possible that between the opening post and Da Monstar's post was another deemed inappropriate or unnecessary by the super mod and deleted. Don't jump on other members so quickly :)

As for starting new threads... Basically, it's just bad forum manners for people to ask a question without checking to see if it's been asked before. The first thing you should do when you have a question like this (which, if we had one, would be in the FAQ section - Laz?) is searching the forum for it. The search button is in the top-right corner of the page, next to "home". Chances are you'll find about thrity answers to your question, as well as to those you wouldn't have thought of until a little later.

If everyone did this before starting a new thread our job would be a LOT easier, and we'd be able to spend more time asking new questions :D

Last edited:

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
I'm sick of people bitching about how tough it is to be a mod...it's a voluntaty thing, and reading through threads and deleting redundant stuff is what you are putting your hand up for.

I can understand the frustation of multiple threads popping up about the same thing, but if she didn't already know there was a 10 page thread with the answer there, then it's not exactly unreasonable to ask.
I agree with Generator and Flyin...you should look at recent threads to see if someone has already asked the same question, but why should anyone have to waste their time going through pages of threads to check?

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
I'm sick of people bitching about how tough it is to be a mod...it's a voluntaty thing, and reading through threads and deleting redundant stuff is what you are putting your hand up for.
Without mods you guys would be fucked. This board is just far too big for the Admins alone to handle, and the mods volunteer to do this stuff because we know we can be useful. Yes, we put our hand up for this, but it doesn't mean we have to take shit from ungrateful people about what we do.

The reason we complain is not because we have to do this kind of work, but because unnecessary threads (like this one) and floods of spam make it that much harder for us. What's worse is when people get shitty at us for deleting redundant threads and spammy posts, I mean that's our fucking JOB. If you read the forum rules and searched for relevant threads we wouldn't HAVE this problem!

Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
I can understand the frustation of multiple threads popping up about the same thing, but if she didn't already know there was a 10 page thread with the answer there, then it's not exactly unreasonable to ask.
I agree with Generator and Flyin...you should look at recent threads to see if someone has already asked the same question, but why should anyone have to waste their time going through pages of threads to check?
She did know there was another thread, because she posted one after it where we referred her to the original one. Then Laz closed her new thread. The first time it was understandable, but the second time was just negligent. No offence Jess, but you really should have searched the forum, you would have found an answer in about 60 threads.

As for people having to wade through threads, back to manners. How would you feel if, after putting up a notice answering a question you know everyone will ask, a hundred people came to you at different times of the day and asked anyway? Would you get pissed at them and tell them to read the notice? Because I certainly would, and I'm sure your teachers tell you the same thing at school, too. If the information is there you should make the effort to find it yourself, rather than expect other members to repeat themselves just for you (this is aimed at everyone, not Jess).

Secondly, the reason you should wade through the threads and not just start a new one...is because WE have to. The simple truth is that mods are here to help you, but not to serve you. We keep the forum clean and you help us by not adding a mess of new threads.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer

She did know there was another thread, because she posted one after it where we referred her to the original one.
Oh OK, I didn't realise that. I apologise.

As for the rest, I stand by it...when mods get upset when people inadvertantly post something redundant and complain about people making there job harder, then that annoys me. Because thats the whole reason mods are there...thats precisely what people are volunteering to do-to keep stuff in order. But I do sorta agree with you-doing a search is best.
It's different if people spam on purpose, or when they bitch cos something they wrote got deleted, and I can understand why people might get pissed off about that, but thats not what I was referring to.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes, we try not to hit so hard on people who don't mean to do it, which is why I want it to be clear that nobody is really going off at Jess...

don't do it a third time

...but when the mods do get annoyed, it's usually not because someone is making their job harder. Remember, mods are people too, basically members with more work to do. They have bad days like the rest, and so if you DO see an angry mod, chances are the forum is just one of many reasons for the bad mood. Don't argue a point with them until later ;)

Also, I don't think anyone was actually going off at Jess. I mean, even Da Monstar softened the blow, and tried to emphasise that too.
pls read it, before u post a new thread

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Realistically, this doesn't happen often.

Not much point arguing about it as other sections in the forum don't usually tend to ask repeated questions.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
OK IM SO FREAKING SORRY IF I HAVE INCONVENIENCED ANYONE!!
the reason i didnt read through the 10 pages on the other one is simply because i dont have time. i mean, who does? if they do then they need a life..or study..or something.

that's our fucking JOB.
well thats setting a real good example from a mod.

spam police

Without mods you guys would be fucked. This board is just far too big for the Admins alone to handle, and the mods volunteer to do this stuff because we know we can be useful. Yes, we put our hand up for this, but it doesn't mean we have to take shit from ungrateful people about what we do.
dude get off your high fucking horse, no one spams in jap threads anyway

besides, you and 'da monsta' seem to be doing some of the most spamming in non non-school forums anyway.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Nonono! We (or at least, I) was just using this as an example for the greater principle. I'm sorry if I led you to believe that I'we were angry at you specifically. And yes, ten pages is a bit much (but the answer was on page one ;))

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
well thats setting a real good example from a mod.
:p Yeah I know. I'm sick of people complaining back and forth. And yeah, I don't swear often, so don't hold it against me.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by spam police
dude get off your high fucking horse, no one spams in jap threads anyway
The only reason there isn't any spam in Jap is because I am always here deleting it. But, if you didn't get the point, I was talking about ALL mods, in ALL fora.

Originally posted by spam police
besides, you and 'da monsta' seem to be doing some of the most spamming in non non-school forums anyway.
And perhaps you haven't realised that the Non School section is the "chill" forum. It's where people go when they DON'T want to ask serious question, but just want a discussion.

Actually, I remember seeing you post in a few of the NS thread a few days ago. In fact, you have a lot more than 4 posts to your name, though I doubt many (if any at all) have been helpful to anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if those four turned out be be useless drivel, either.

spam police

i said NON non-school forum

go check my four posts then you post nazi, i dont care that you spam i think it's just hypocritical that you spam in EES and other language forums when you crap on about how wrong it is to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)