Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help for CAFS students.

HSC

Re: Help for CAFS students.

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyJuice View Post
    Hi, I'm currently studying Yr 11 CAFS, and I wrote an essay at school on "Assess the ability of different family structures to fulfill a range of functions."

I would appreciate it if someone could take the time to read it and tell me what they think, suppose the essay was out of 10.

There are nine types of family structures that can be formed within society, and regardless of their size, composition, skills, or ability, they all have specific functions to perform in order to maintain the wellbeing of all their members. The family structures are Nuclear, Blended, Extended, Communal, De-facto, Foster, Adoptive, Sole-Parent, and Childless, and the functions that all family members have the responsibility to perform include physical, economic, social, emotional, cultural, adaptive and moral, spiritual and religious. The ability of each family structure to perform specific functions depending on their skills, age, resources, composition , financial status and other factors.

One specific family structure that might have difficulty performing certain types of functions include a sole-parent family. A sole-parent family is a family that has children but no partner to help with raising their children. A sole-partner must fulfil it's physical functions - of food, clothing, shelter and healthcare with only one income. This can be difficult because many sole-parents may not be able to work due to the fact that they constantly have to look after their children. If they do work, it will most probably be part-time which may not be enough income coming in to provide for their physical needs on a daily basis. However, a sole-parent family still should be able to fulfil physical needs with the help of government assistance and perhaps financial support from the extended family. Economic functions may also be particularly difficult for sole-parents, with less income coming in, they may have more difficulty than other family structures in fulfilling their secondary needs, and they will probably not be able to afford to send their child to a private school due to their expenses. Emotional functions can be performed in this family - and they might be necessary due to large levels of stress placed especially on the sole-parent due to the large amount of responsibilities faced on him/her.

Large families like Communal and Blended families and nuclear families (families that can have 2 or more adults) can easily fulfil a range of functions. With two incomes coming in, affording their physical needs of food, clothing, water and shelter shouldn't be too difficult. Their primary needs won't be difficult to achieve, and secondary needs should be achieved with little difficulty. They should also be able to afford to send their children into university. Emotional functions can be and should be able to be performed with this type of family structure. With changes, families with 2 adults should be able to adapt as they have more resources available to them . In communal families, individuals can share resources and ease the financial and emotional strain on all individuals, therefore fulfilling physical and economic functions can be done easily, maintaining the wellbeing of all. In Blended family, cultural functions to fulfil may be difficult and can cause conflict - if one side of the family has different cultural customs to the other. This is especially also a problem in Communal arrangements too - as maintaining the culture of many different individuals and families is not easy, and can cause conflict. Large families like these only have more people to offer and to get love, support and encouragement from.

Adoptive and Foster Families are those families that may have natural children and children not biologically related. Having extra children or having children come into the family unit may affect the degree to which the family is able to fulfil their functions. It may mean that the parents may have to start working over-time to cover for the extra child, and if they can't - then the physical functions for that particular child/children won't be able to be fulfilled. The family will also have less finances to afford their secondary needs or luxuries if that extra bit of money goes towards caring for the extra child. Also, cultural functions may be difficult to perform if the child adopted or fostered is from another country and has different cultural customs to the family which has adopted them, again causing conflict. Emotional functions may be an important function in this family - if the child fostered or adopted came from an negligent family and has not had their needs met, they may be have to shown love, support and encouragement when in need. This function can be met easily.

Childless families - it may be more easy to fulfil certain functions than if they had children - it may be easier for them to fulfil physical and economic functions as they only have to cover 2 adults. Emotional functions may also be satisfied easily; social functions may also be more easy to perform as they can spend more time together without having to look after any children. Same story for Same-Sex Couples and De-Facto, providing they have no dependants.

Overall, it can be see that the way families fulfil different functions depend on their size, their resources available, their skills, and amount of income that comes in for the family and their composition.
    it is certainly a good response. Your structure is really good. Though, Kat is right, your childless paragraph needs a bit more work.Here are some other tips:
    -i would get rid of in your intro about the factors affecting the ability of individuals performing certain functions. While I understand your link, in cafs you need to be super concise and not open any random doors, unless you intend to discuss them and are apart of the question.
    -More specific examples would be fantastic. E.G. physical functions, such as food.
    -Sometimes you are a bit unclear. E.G. Emotional functions can be performed in this family - and they might be necessary due to large levels of stress placed especially on the sole-parent due to the large amount of responsibilities faced on him/her - is a bit messy. make sure what you are trying to say is clear, your point is valid but could definitely be made clearer.

Overall a really good response! I'm being super fussy but, so don't stress! I mean, I got 96 in CAFS last year, which considering the scaling is pretty good. I received my raw marks and got full marks in everything except my essay i lost a few marks, because I didn't finish it in time. Feel free to ask me any questions in future!
    Bachelor of Health Science/Master of Physiotherapy @ UWS

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by aslhui View Post
    hii was wondering does anyone have the Enrichment Day notes?? orr extensive cafs notes 1504149016@.qq.com
    thxx millions!
    the enrichment notes are nothing special. I have last years ones lying around, but you can seriously find all the stuff in it in a quality cafs textbook.
    Bachelor of Health Science/Master of Physiotherapy @ UWS

HSC

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME STUFF FOR CAFS. LIKE LITERALLY ANYTHING!!
    i borrowed absolutely everything my friend had for cafs and have misplaced it, so i really need to make it up to her and get her stuff.
    Trials are next week. PLEASE SEND ANYTHING TO JAYME.NOLAN@HOTMAIL.COM

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by JaymeNolan View Post
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME STUFF FOR CAFS. LIKE LITERALLY ANYTHING!!
    i borrowed absolutely everything my friend had for cafs and have misplaced it, so i really need to make it up to her and get her stuff.
    Trials are next week. PLEASE SEND ANYTHING TO JAYME.NOLAN@HOTMAIL.COM
    I have replied to this on your other thread.
    HSC 2009: General Mathematics | English Advanced | Senior Science | CAFS | IPT| D&T MM
    Graduate: Bachelor. of Education Studies
    Current Studies: Bachelor . of Nursing| Bachelor. of Dementia Care | Bachelor. of Behavioural Studies. (Major. Psychology, Minor Sociology)| CertIV. Training and Assessment
    Future BMedSci/M.D.(JMP) hopeful πŸ‘©πŸ»βš•οΈ

HSC
    N/A

Anyone know how to set out the timeline for the irp? :S

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetacos View Post
    Anyone know how to set out the timeline for the irp? :S
    Use excel and split it up into proposed and actual times in a Gantt chart. Also use different colours where possible and have a key.

There are heaps of online tutorials by Microsoft that go step by step if you are not IT inclined. Otherwise you could perhaps use a diary and keep a record that way-- it depends on what your teacher has stipulated.
    HSC 2009: General Mathematics | English Advanced | Senior Science | CAFS | IPT| D&T MM
    Current Studies: Bachelor . of Nursing| Bachelor. of Dementia Care | Bachelor. of Behavioural Studies. (Major. Psychology, Minor Sociology)| CertIV. Training and Assessment

HSC

Hey, guys, I'm kind of stuck and need some advice.

I am thinking of the topic Facebook and young people, and I've come up with a few focus questions

"How does Facebook impact on the emotional, social and physical wellbeing of a teenager?"
    "What are the effects of Facebook on an individual's relationships with others in the physical world?"
    "What are the effects of Facebook on the development of an individual's social and communication skills?"
    "What role does Facebook play in the development of the individual?

And one from "Students and the HSC"

What are the strategies implemented by students of the HSC in order to effectively manage study demands, stress levels and resources effectively?"

I'm so stuck. I can't choose between these. Any advice?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries122 View Post
    Hey, guys, I'm kind of stuck and need some advice.

I am thinking of the topic Facebook and young people, and I've come up with a few focus questions

"How does Facebook impact on the emotional, social and physical wellbeing of a teenager?"
    "What are the effects of Facebook on an individual's relationships with others in the physical world?"
    "What are the effects of Facebook on the development of an individual's social and communication skills?"
    "What role does Facebook play in the development of the individual?

And one from "Students and the HSC"

What are the strategies implemented by students of the HSC in order to effectively manage study demands, stress levels and resources effectively?"

I'm so stuck. I can't choose between these. Any advice?

I personally think the top one would allow for more scope. You could perhaps do a comparison between older FB users in the survey as well to get a better sample and indication of the contributing factors.
    And if you don't know any older FB users you could always create a survey through survey monkey and post the link on here. I am sure people would be able to help you out!

HSC

in desperate need of an IRP topic

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by kourto View Post
    in desperate need of an IRP topic
    Have you tried looking at some of these: IRP- Topics and Tips

HSC
    Uni Grad

I'm with kourto on this one, proposal is due 10pm Sunday night and I still have no idea. My original plan was going to be something about body image but my teacher shot it down saying that it would be impossible to get full marks with a cliched idea... and then told me to find something I felt passionate about - offering topics like divorce and racism to the table. Urg. I am particularly passionate about health and fitness, and I see a psychologist about my perfectionism (not as pathetic as it sounds guys!), so that could be a topic as well...

Suggestions?
    "Lord, what fools these mortals be!"

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by favvify View Post
    I'm with kourto on this one, proposal is due 10pm Sunday night and I still have no idea. My original plan was going to be something about body image but my teacher shot it down saying that it would be impossible to get full marks with a cliched idea... and then told me to find something I felt passionate about - offering topics like divorce and racism to the table. Urg. I am particularly passionate about health and fitness, and I see a psychologist about my perfectionism (not as pathetic as it sounds guys!), so that could be a topic as well...

Suggestions?
    Concerning my IRP, that is.

HSC

Suggestions?
    Ok, I have just had an idea. How about at the time of the HSC many factors such as Physical, emotional,etc affects one's body image. From there you could also link to media articles, peer pressure and other contributing factors as per from the syllabus. That way you are at least eliminating the cliche of thin vs fat stereotypes within the society view (Which I think your teacher is referring to).

Ugh, divorce and racism-- I agree with you on that (if you are not interested, there is no pointing doing a whole research project on them).

Perfectionism as you said could work, but would be very hard to get people to survey.

Hopefully this helps! Good luck.

HSC

Hey, is this a good question. I am confident with this question, and I feel like I can get a rich amount of secondary info for this one for the Literature review.
    β€œWhat are the effects of social media on the physiological, physical, social, and emotional well-being and development of an adolescent?

HSC

Hey, is this a good question. I am confident with this question, and I feel like I can get a rich amount of secondary info for this one for the Literature review.
    β€œWhat are the effects of social media on the physiological, physical, social, and emotional well-being and development of an adolescent?
    It sounds good and I can't see why it wouldn't work!

HSC

But I just have one concern; is it to cliche? I don't really have many resources at all to do anything unique or different.
    Last edited by strawberries122; 22 Oct 2012 at 12:50 PM.

HSC

But I just have one concern; is it to cliche? I don't really have many resources at all to do anything unique or different.
    Perhaps do a comparison between some different age groups. Also find relevant articles in the media that support your research.

HSC

Don't you summarize all the secondary research in a literature review? Wouldn't that include summarizing the information from media articles?
    Last edited by strawberries122; 22 Oct 2012 at 4:02 PM.

HSC

Yes, you do.

Essentially, you could have a question that links back to some of the research conducted within the literature review. But certainly survey more than one age group, or otherwise it would be a little cliche.

HSC

I wrote adolescent, Well, I could try to gain a parent's perspective of how social media has affected their teenager's well-being? Is that what you sort of mean?

HSC

That would actually work!

Just as a thought perhaps maybe you could ask whether the parents experienced any such influences of social media when they were teens depending upon the age range you survey.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Kat92 View Post
    Ok, I have just had an idea. How about at the time of the HSC many factors such as Physical, emotional,etc affects one's body image. From there you could also link to media articles, peer pressure and other contributing factors as per from the syllabus. That way you are at least eliminating the cliche of thin vs fat stereotypes within the society view (Which I think your teacher is referring to).

Ugh, divorce and racism-- I agree with you on that (if you are not interested, there is no pointing doing a whole research project on them).

Perfectionism as you said could work, but would be very hard to get people to survey.

Hopefully this helps! Good luck.
    Well, I did manage to come up with something, and the pdhpe department at my school loves it - long story short, it's been approved I have decided to stay with the perfectionism and unlike everyone doing dry subjects like divorce, I'm actually into this :L

In getting people to survey - perfectionists attract perfectionists, and you just need to look at who is in the top 3 of each subject to find us, haha. I'm also getting non-perfectionists to do surveys to find out their opinions and how they react to their friends who are perfectionists. I don't want to post my statement here as of yet... but I do have to thank you for your encouragement on the matter

HSC

Well, I did manage to come up with something, and the pdhpe department at my school loves it - long story short, it's been approved I have decided to stay with the perfectionism and unlike everyone doing dry subjects like divorce, I'm actually into this :L

In getting people to survey - perfectionists attract perfectionists, and you just need to look at who is in the top 3 of each subject to find us, haha. I'm also getting non-perfectionists to do surveys to find out their opinions and how they react to their friends who are perfectionists. I don't want to post my statement here as of yet... but I do have to thank you for your encouragement on the matter
    Good on you for sticking with what you believe in!

If you want and if I have some free time post a link to survey monkey or something and I will fill it in (unless you have specified an age range).

HSC

i need help starting my CAFS IRP i have chosen "when blended families break up what happenes to the relationship between the step-parent and step child?", if anyone has chosen this please help me it will be greatly apprEciated
    i would really appreciate it if someone could send me their IRP just to show me an idea of how to start it out
    PLEASE
    Last edited by laura ashley; 24 Oct 2012 at 1:59 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes and added more information.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by laura ashley View Post
    i need help starting my CAFS IRP i have chosen "when blended families break up what happenes to the relationship between the step-parent and step child?", if anyone has chosen this please help me it will be greatly apprEciated
    i would really appreciate it if someone could send me their IRP just to show me an idea of how to start it out
    PLEASE
    I presume you are still doing the plan at the moment so:

1. Subject of research hypothesis
    2. Explanation of project aim/goals.
    3. Primary and secondary data resources that will be used
    4. Which methodologies will be used and why
    5. Pilot survey questions.
    6. Timeline Proposed actual in a Gantt chart.
    7. Ethical Issues related to the IRP to be undertaken.

Also explicit literacy criteria could be taken into account so things like:

*Have you used capital letters and full stops correctly.
    * Have you used other types of punctuation where necessary.
    * Do your sentences make sense
    * Have you used varied and appropriate sentences.
    * Have you used paragraphs.

Furthermore make sure you are meeting the expectations for outcomes H4.1 and H4.2 (If you do this, it will ensure you have covered everything that the marker is looking for!)

Also look at the resources section on this site to get an idea. If you are asking about the actual IRP there are examples here: IRP- Topics and Tips
    Last edited by Kat92; 25 Oct 2012 at 7:46 AM. Reason: You may need to check those outcomes and indicators.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information