Help for CAFS students. (1 Viewer)

Kat92

HSC
It's good but probably a little light on.

I say this, as you have identified the need; but haven't really explained the significance of the need to youth. To get the 2nd mark you would need to go into a bit more detail on such topics: self-esteem, sense of identity, security, acceptance and/or belonging.

Significance to the needs of youth could include the importance in this age group to be part of a group, part of a friendship network or fitting into the model of what is seen to be acceptable by peers. Perhaps you could also mention the high level of youth suicide rates and its possible link with teens trying to fulfill their satisfaction of needs and trying to conform/belong.

Below I have included the marking rubric:

Question 11

Outcomes assessed: H2.2

Criteria Marks

2 Marks- Demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of the identified need and its significance for youth.

1 Mark- Demonstrates some knowledge of needs.

HSC
So to improve my answer I could have said.

"A sense of belonging/peer acceptance and self-esteem. Why this need is most important for the youth is because at a young age, they need to feel like they "belong" and "fit in" to a group to make sure they keep their social life active and they are not feeling neglected or unwanted, or else this will cause scars and they can develop into very insecure and shy and this will affect them as they get older as they get out into the workforce and take on greater roles and responsibilties. A lack of self-esteem and sense of belonging could also lead to an youth feeling so down that they actually might feel that they shouldn't be living anymore, thus commit suicide. Self-esteem and a sense of belonging is very important for the youth as it affects them emotionally and can cause major scars that could potentionally affect them as they get older if those needs are not satisfied or met.

Anything else I could have mentioned?

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
Much better. Although take a look at your grammar and punctuation. Try reading that aloud to note where pauses should be. As some sentences were rather long and I was looking for the end, no offence!
83 words in a sentence is not good, this more like a paragraph. Normally around 20-25 words in a sentence is a good limit.

HSC
I understand that; I do have a bit of a habit of doing that as I always go on about a certain point in one sentence. I just use constructive criticism to try to improve. What about my answer from 2010 paper Question 21.

"Gathering information from individual people using any type of particular methodology can be a much more time consuming process than gathering data from print sources. For example, randomly questioning a small town on an particular issue will take up far more time than gathering that same data from an newspaper article or a book or a magazine. A second disadvantage is that if you are looking to find out factual information, rather than subjective information, print sources will be much more helpful as if you are finding out factual information from people, they do not have any solid base to back up their information, and there quite a few print sources such as factual books which can be classified as valid sources and have a greater range of information. Another disadvantage could be that the person who is being interviewed may be disinterested/unable to answer the questions, and this will waste the researcher's time. An advantage of collecting data from people is that if you are looking for opinions, beliefs, etc then interviewing people for them will be give you an source to an range of different opinions, beliefs, and attitudes and this can greatly help if one is conducting an research project on any subjective question. This cannot be done with print sources as effectively. Advantages of print sources is that they are much less time consuming, and since there are an wide range of print sources with a wide range of information, researchers can enhance their knowledge of certain topics. Disadvantages include they are very limited print sources that can be used if you want to research about opinions, beliefs, attitudes or any other subjective information and sometimes the writer of the print source may be biased through what they write.

Thoughts? How much out of 8?

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
This answer would probably gain a 5 or 6 out of 8. You have detailed some good points. However, CAFS terminology could greatly enhance this. Once again you have the ideas but the structuring is not perfect.

Briefly I have provided some points that I remember my teacher for CAFS and D&T discussed. I also managed to find the marking centre notes and have included this below:

Print-includes books/texts, journals, magazines, newspapers, etc

Advantages:

• Wide range of resources available on a range of subjects and styles
• If a book/text or journal, the author may be an expert on the topic
• Newspapers, magazines, journals may be reporting on current and contemporary information on the topic

Disadvantages:

• If a magazine, book, journal or newspaper, the information may not be accurate
• Resources might be too general, notspecific enough
• Not as immediate as using electronic sources so may be more time consuming
• Information may be subjective
• Information may be out of date
• Space required to store and use
• May not be original research but reflect other works

People/Individuals

Advantages:

• The person may be easy to access and they may be quite willing to take the time to assist with the research
• Able to clarify points through interviewing
• The person may be an expert on the topic and be able to provide valid and accurate information
• Allows the first-hand data to be collected
• Networking possibilities

Disadvantages

• The individual may not be willing to assist in the research task Interviewing can be time consuming
• People may not want to complete a survey/questionnaire
• People may not provide serious responses to questions asked
• May be biased

Marking Centre Notes:

Question 21

Criteria

7–8 Marks
• Demonstrates extensive knowledge and understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of obtaining information from print sources and people/individuals
• Effectively communicates ideas, issues and opinions in an organised logical and coherent manner, using appropriate terminology

5-6 Marks

• Demonstrates thorough knowledge and understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of obtaining information from print sources and people/individuals
• Competently communicates ideas, issues and opinions in an organised logical and coherent manner, using appropriate terminology

3-4 Marks
• Demonstrates a sound knowledge and understanding of the advantages and/or disadvantages of obtaining information from print sources and
people/individuals
• Communicates ideas, issues and opinions in a clear and logical way using appropriate terminology

2 Marks
• Demonstrates a basic knowledge and understanding of the advantages and/or disadvantages of obtaining information from print sources or people/individuals
• Communicates ideas and opinions in basic form using some relevant terminology

1 Mark
• Makes one relevant point about conducting research

Question 21

In better responses, candidates outlined the advantages and disadvantages of both print sources and people/individuals. Ideas were supported with a range of relevant examples. In mid-range responses, candidates outlined some advantages and disadvantages of obtaining information from the print sources and people/individuals, however the examples used, although relevant, were limited.

In weaker responses, candidates provided some basic knowledge about the advantages and/or disadvantages of obtaining information from print sources or people/individuals.

HSC
I think I can greatly improve once I start the course. What do you think my answer would get in terms of Year 10 standards?

Kat92

HSC
I think so as well :). In terms of Year 10 standards, probably a band 5 or 6 answer; as you have addressed the question and added relevant examples.

HSC
Just an question; have they changed the format of the paper? Because I notice in 2010 there are now 20 multiple choice questions and then followed by short answer questions. Is it going to stay that way?

Kat92

HSC
I am not really sure about that. It depends on what syllabus content is going to be assessed.

HSC
Oh, ok, that's fine then. My mom put me up to CAFS and I'm really happy she did. I know it scales like crap, but I don't really care about that. I wonder why it scales so poorly? It is by no means an easy subject.

Kat92

HSC
I don't really know??? I am really glad that I ended up doing CAFS as a subject as I found it really interesting and I think you might find it the same!

HSC
Yeah, it is really interesting. My PDHPE teacher said that my writer is of high quality when talking about things like mental health, self-esteem, people's needs and wants.

smartalec

HSC
the format changed in 2010. there is no longer 15 markers for the topics 'groups in context' and 'parenting and caring.' they compensated this with longer short answer questions evenly distributed between all three questions (i.e. you could get an 8 marker for research methodology) and more multiple choice. which SOUNDS better however, the percentage of band 6's was more than halved the first year the format was introduced :( it used to be like 10% now its aprox 4% but yeah. as long as you do well in the subject and try really hard then you have nothing to worry about.

also, dont try and burn yourself out by attempting questions when your in year 10. you wont know the terminology which will seriously impede the quality of your answers. rather, it might confuse you. my advice is to start with looking at the syllabus for PRELIM which provides the building blocks for year 12. or even better, go to your local library and borrow a CAFS textbook and have a read through so that your answers are of a better quality! youll be fine.

now back to studying for my CSSA trial for CAFS tommorow. fml. haha. all the best!

HSC
I do have a rough idea of what they expect; I don't know but everytime I look at past papers and I see something that is so hard to answer I just get so frustrated and agitated and think if I should have picked up that subject. Is this normal? Should I be looking at past papers before I haven't even started Year 11 yet? I guess I'm worried because I don't know if they will cover the basics in Year 11.

smartalec

HSC
回覆: Re: Help for CAFS students.

hey kat! a question regarding an exam question that appeared in the 2010 HSC exam paper. Q 26: Explain the impact that societal attitudes can have upon access to resources for ONE group you have studied. (6 marks)
So I have thought about it and realised I would have no idea what to do if this was a question. would I take access to resources literally and do the socioeconomic status, location, education, age gender, ethnicity etc? thats what I would think, but it seems impossible to link. Would i have to do just resources in general? a bit of a dodgy question :S thanks!

Kat92

HSC
Re: 回覆: Re: Help for CAFS students.

hey kat! a question regarding an exam question that appeared in the 2010 HSC exam paper. Q 26: Explain the impact that societal attitudes can have upon access to resources for ONE group you have studied. (6 marks)
So I have thought about it and realised I would have no idea what to do if this was a question. would I take access to resources literally and do the socioeconomic status, location, education, age gender, ethnicity etc? thats what I would think, but it seems impossible to link. Would i have to do just resources in general? a bit of a dodgy question :S thanks!
From the marking centre to gain 5-6 marks:

• Demonstrates thorough knowledge and understanding about ONE group studied and explains how societal attitudes can impact upon their access to resources
• Clearly justifies choices by drawing a relationship between the group and their resources
• Effectively communicates ideas, issues and opinions in an organised, logical and coherent manner, using appropriate terminology

No I would not go into that much depth as it is only a 6 marker. However, if it was a 15 mark question yes certainly go into depth!

For example if you were doing youth:

You could write about-
* how society perceives them to be supported by parents and Government agencies i.e. Centrelink.
* how Legal documentation allows society to perceive youth as not being mature enough to make decisions until they are over 18.
* they can access health assistance from 14 i.e. Medicare.
* society's perception of 16 year olds having slight independence i.e. learner's permit.

smartalec

HSC

ah i see, so not factors affecting access to resources literally - just accessing resources in general (such as medicare, centrelink etc?) thanks!

Kat92

HSC

Not a problem. :)

cpwincess19

HSC

Hey guys!

Just a quick question - Are there any good methods of remembering the laws and legislations from the option (Individuals and work) topic ?

Thanks heaps :)

Kat92

HSC

Unfortunately, no just constant revision and past papers to help consolidate the knowledge and key points.

Good Luck, all the best for your exams! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)