The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
1) Another supervisor is about to leave, and they never actually replaced the other supervisor, just increased to P/T supervisors to 38 hours/week.

2) Our FE manager started on Monday (after the long time FE manager, with whom I was pretty friendly, but my dept manager was not). I met the FE manager today, she seemed really nice. The bakery manager doesn't get along with any of the dept managers except the deli manager.

3) Bakery manager HATES the store manager. Constantly bitching about him etc. She gives me crap because she says he gives me "special treatment". Eurgh.

4) They'd probably have to hire more staff. So I guess they probably wouldn't survive without me. That's what irks me, because they're constantly going off at me and giving me crap, but I'm the one who's there from 8 on a Saturday/Sunday morning until 6 or 7 at night, doing all the shit jobs, and making sure everything gets done.

5) Seeing as the FE manager is new, I'm not sure. First impression was good. She came across as friendly, hard working. Not sure if she's permanent or if they're borrowing her from the nearby store while they look for a replacement.

Eurgh. Probably not going to be a viable option I guess. :mad1:
But that's what I wanted to know, I guess. *sigh*

HSC
In saying that though, I worked pretty much all of my shifts in nontrade last year (doing ticketing, cash office and pricing). After I finished school I was VERY lucky to overhear a conversation between the new FE Manager (who didn't know me very well) and a supervisor who was planning on leaving in about two months time. The FE Manager wasn't happy to hear this as the new supervisor had only just recently been trained.

I basically went to the FE Manager and said, look, I overheard x conversation, what if I came back to FE and was trained properly as a supervisor.

(Background to this is that I had previously been trained in SOME supervision areas, particularly spotchecks and refunds, so I kind of had some pull there)

She was hesitant, but eventually said yes. It has taken me a LONG time to prove myself, but I'm getting there, slowly.

I say firstly find out if the new FE manager is permanent. If not, there's no point. If they are, then there's no harm trying.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
There's no harm in trying, full stop. It's your life, try to spend a less amount as possible working for a bitch.

A poster was put up on the staff room saying how our average scan rate was 12 something, the aim was 16 and that only three service members were consistently getting above 16.

Personally I think the scan rate thing is a bit of a con designed to try and get people motivated about picking up products and putting them in bags. I've never got a customer complaint about anyone being too slow. The only people who seem to be particularly slow are the store weirdos.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
*sigh*
K I feel that guilty now that I'm not going to try to transfer.
I was meant to work 10 am - 5 pm today.
I worked 10 am - 1 pm, spent about an hour of that helping out on checkouts, 30 minutes sitting in the lunchroom (on my lunchbreak), and 10 minutes calling my mum as I managed to faint at about 12.45.
Obviously, I got sent to the doctor and didn't complete my shift.
Doctor's said I can't work tomorrow, either.

THAT SAID, it was my manager's day off today, when I found out I couldn't work tomorrow I did the right thing and went into the store again and handed in my medical certificate, and they asked that I called her to let her know (as she is the manager tomorrow). She spacked it at me over the phone, and was all like "and what am I meant to do for staff blah blah blah, what's even wrong with you?" and was pretty shitty when I told her that the doctor wasn't entirely sure.

I'm really really starting to hate my job. :(

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Why feel guilty? It's your career. If you are sick, you are sick. Considering you fainted at work, I'm pretty sure you have witnesses to say you are not chucking a sick. Sick days are there to be used when you are sick. They will get over it.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
She's a mental case.
Seriously.
I've never met anyone with quite so little empathy.

EDIT: And what pisses me off more is that AFTER I fainted, I offered to stay on and work. Even though I couldn't even stand up. It was the store manager who said that I had to go to the doctor and that he didn't want me returning to work til tomorrow, if not next week. And I told her this, but she still spacks it.

Last edited:

TheGeorgia

HSC
watched "behind the flags" today,
it was so, overly corny,
it actually surprised me,
tonnes different from the videos you watch at orientation,
but still pretty ott.

nice to get paid to get an extra 13 minute break!!

FnG

HSC
Where can I get a new top from? When I asked they told me I had to do online but I'm not sure where. Can someone post the link? Thanks.

Peartie

HSC
Re: Big W Stores agreement 2006 question

i got all my annual leave etc paid out when i left woolies...so i assume its the same @ big w...

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Big W Stores agreement 2006 question

you will be paid out your annual leave, WITHOUT loading. however, there are seperate tax arrangements in place for termination payouts (its calcuated differently to normal pay because it comes in one whack), so bear this in mind.

you will NOT however get sick pay paid out

this reminds me. THANK GOD, if you get paid for a public holiday that you dont work, it is no longer a store charge from now on. This is good news for 2 reasons

1) Eases some pressure on budgets
2) it removes the fact that getting PPT to work on public holidays costs less than paying them a day off AND replacing them. so there should be no real reason for your boss not to give you a rostered public holiday off, yay!

Evolution2006

HSC
i was just talking to a mate and he said @ his work , he could Print out the group certificate/payslip and find out how annual left he has left, this got me asking, why don't Woolworths have this, they are biggest retailer in Australia, and yet they don't have something like, this really frustrating waiting 14 days for the group cert, and so on, just wish Woolies would get with technology.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
A lot of Woolworth's technology is really backwards. Our store was a trial store for some program (can't remember what it is called now) where you put your holidays in on the computer and could check your roster/annual leave accrued. Really, it wouldn't take much for rosters to be available online, much like universities have personalised exam timetables.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
oh, technology is there, without a doubt, but, you've got to remember that whilst it might be easy to implement in a single store, the sheer volume of doing it accross all the supermarkets is enormous in terms of cost (e.g. buying the software, rolling it out, doing the training) and time.

yes the systems that we have now are old, but they WORK. the thing you mentioned whatashotbyseve turned out to be a COMPLETE DISASTER, so now we're back at square 1 for a new LM system.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Was it? Doesn't surprise me, I remember putting in holidays and it not feeding through to the cash office, so they rang me when I was on holidays asking why I wasn't at work. Sometimes technology isn't best unless it actually works.

Knowing Woolworths, unless it generates sufficient ROI, they won't implement it.

rose2

HSC
Hi everyone,
just a question.i wanna take annual leave next year in jan.so far i've got 53 annual leave hours,which will be around 100 in jan.so is there any chance that my service manager will allow me annual leave for 8 weeks??as i've been with the company for one and a half year.or she won't???

Thanks guys.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
if you put in the form now, it will probably be accepted, as you've given plenty of notice.

HSC
A lot of Woolworth's technology is really backwards. Our store was a trial store for some program (can't remember what it is called now) where you put your holidays in on the computer and could check your roster/annual leave accrued. Really, it wouldn't take much for rosters to be available online, much like universities have personalised exam timetables.
Yet McDonalds seem to make this system work...

Harry778

HSC
TOWNIEEEE!

How did those Supervision shifts at that other store go? Ment to ask you ages ago lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)