Why did u choose standard english? (1 Viewer)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
So why did you choose Standard English?
With all the stuff going around that Standard English aligns down terribly, what made you do Standard English?

I had to choose Standard English because I did badly in my School certificate, and as a result, I was forced to pick it.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
With all the stuff going around that Standard English aligns down terribly, what made you do Standard English?

I had to choose Standard English because I did badly in my School certificate, and as a result, I was forced to pick it.
That sucks, especially because the SC means nothing.

HSC
my reason is that i despise english and its also compulsory + i herd that standard and advanced has similar scaling and is also very hard to get band 6 in standard.

shady145

Banned
HSC
lol same reason as OP but i mean really bad in SC... exactly 71 XD
never tried until this year... ive never liked english but now its ok

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
That sucks, especially because the SC means nothing.
The school forced me to do it because I didn't get a Band 6!!! I got 87!!!! which is so stupid, because a) the SC doesn't matter and b) 87 is not too bad.
stupid school. had to pick up 4unit maths coz of the school

shady145

Banned
HSC
The school forced me to do it because I didn't get a Band 6!!! I got 87!!!! which is so stupid, because a) the SC doesn't matter and b) 87 is not too bad.
stupid school. had to pick up 4unit maths coz of the school
bahahhahahahahahhahahaaaa well ill go crawl in a hole... the highest at my school for english in the sc was 87, shit my year is dumb. HSC next month and what are most doing... at the rally and out partying, guess thats how they did so bad in their trials + majors + half yearlies + meh everything.
your school sounds tough...

Rocket Man

HSC
because we hate reading and never read a book in our lives. lol I still came first in standerd in my school somehow for the ranking stuffs i think

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
english is not ma strongest subject as u can see from ma sig. The head teacher said that it's best to drop advanced to standard coz if i get these marks in advanced it would drag down ma UAI (well know ATAR) =)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
english is not ma strongest subject as u can see from ma sig. The head teacher said that it's best to drop advanced to standard coz if i get these marks in advanced it would drag down ma UAI (well know ATAR) =)
Yeah, we can see it from all your posts as well.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Didn't get to choose - the principal bloke stuck me in standard with all the slackers.

ScullyBCDali

HSC
I have this working dog who helps muster cattle on our farm (trust me there is a point to this). She runs around the cattle, jumping back and forth, barking, twisting and turning, almost as if she is dancing. The cattle stop and stare at her, wondering what on earth she is trying to do and what she wants. She just jumps around, and looks busy, but rarely gets the job done.

This is like my Advanced english teacher. She dances around te point of an asked question, but never manages to answer it. (when asked to define 'context', she said it was the 'context of a era', and would not budge from that answer)

Thats why I dropped to standard. My teacher was useless as tits on a bull! If we didnt understand something, she made out that she had explained herself perfectly well, numerous times, but in reality she just moved around, answering unasked and unrelated questions. hahaha

saberbladexx

HSC
I chose standard because advance is for the people who are pro at english.
Don't really care tbh, i'm gonna get a higher atar than most of them anyways.:lol:

loz1

HSC
i chose it for the texts we had to do.. a choice between frankenstein and billy elliot? its obvious which one i found more interesting, and i doubted that i was gunna get in the band 6's anyway

stefgi32

Meh
HSC
N/A
I did advanced for prelim and HATED it.....I felt the course was just all about talking out of your ass and overanalysing texts, making up hidden meanings that the writer probably wasn't even thinking of when he/she wrote it. I don't know how my teacher is able to get so much out of one bloody chapter in Romulus, My Father and talk about it for two friggin' hours without a moment of pause.

I love standard, because we're asked about just what the text actually says...not all these hidden meanings and silver linings about how the grass is greener, or maybe the grass is actually musty like Australian grass, and how the grass in New England is luminescent....and yes, my English Advanced teacher actually talked about that grass is greener on the other side saying, and had a monologue about the different shades of grass she has seen in her life....no joke, we all looked at eachother in disbelief.

English Standard is straight to the point and actually provides useful skills, plus I'm top of the class there so ego boost for me. Go Standard English!

Uncle

Banned
HSC
because i am cool
thumbs up to that

Didn't get to choose - the principal bloke stuck me in standard with all the slackers.
Then there is no excuse coming pretty much near or at the top of the subject.

I did advanced for prelim and HATED it.....I felt the course was just all about talking out of your ass and overanalysing texts, making up hidden meanings that the writer probably wasn't even thinking of when he/she wrote it. I don't know how my teacher is able to get so much out of one bloody chapter in Romulus, My Father and talk about it for two friggin' hours without a moment of pause.

I love standard, because we're asked about just what the text actually says...not all these hidden meanings and silver linings about how the grass is greener, or maybe the grass is actually musty like Australian grass, and how the grass in New England is luminescent....and yes, my English Advanced teacher actually talked about that grass is greener on the other side saying, and had a monologue about the different shades of grass she has seen in her life....no joke, we all looked at eachother in disbelief.

English Standard is straight to the point and actually provides useful skills, plus I'm top of the class there so ego boost for me. Go Standard English!
A good example of why Standard English should be considered.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC

Wow, that sucks!! Sc means nothing, in particular sc english means nothing because the english skills tested (multiple choice) aren't at all required in hsc, it shows in no way how good you'll be at critical thinking or essay writing. :( That really sucks.

At my school everyone does advanced. We don't even offer standard.

FTW

HSC
because we hate reading and never read a book in our lives. lol I still came first in standerd in my school somehow for the ranking stuffs i think

Amazing
rofl

But seriously, I'm doing standard next year because: A) I don't wanna do a shakespeare text in Advanced B) I'm kinda lazy C) I would prefer to come rank 1-3 in standard that 10+ in advanced D)I generally hate english

martinc

HSC
Rather than being borderline between Standard and Advanced, it was just better to be safe. :) But i didn't do that.. wasn't very smart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)