• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what jobs does actuarial studies lead me to in commerce UNSW? (2 Viewers)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Working in the bank, forecasting and predicting premiums/mortgages and etc.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
U will be working wiff insurance companies and banks and mortgage lenders to predict the probability of certain things like death and natural disasters occuring.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
lol. r u trollin again.
no. the need for actuaries is quite low compared to the numbers unis are pumping out these days. u really have to be at the top of your course to have a good chance of employment ie. getting D/HDs. if ur getting mostly C's then its nearly impossible for you to get interviews since they choose interviewees purely on grades.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
no. the need for actuaries is quite low compared to the numbers unis are pumping out these days. u really have to be at the top of your course to have a good chance of employment ie. getting D/HDs. if ur getting mostly C's then its nearly impossible for you to get interviews since they choose interviewees purely on grades.
well oobviously no ones going to hire you if they could hire someone with higher grades. demand is going up for actuaries though.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
well oobviously no ones going to hire you if they could hire someone with higher grades. demand is going up for actuaries though.
exactly. so if u get mostly credits ur pretty much fucked and just went to uni for 5 years for something u cant even use for toilet paper.

muzeikchun852

HSC
exactly. so if u get mostly credits ur pretty much fucked and just went to uni for 5 years for something u cant even use for toilet paper.
well. the engineering is in low demand (according someone I know works in the industry for over 20 years) and people still go and study engineering. your friend might be unemployment because s/he studied actuarial before the industry boom. bad luck for him/her.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
well. the engineering is in low demand (according someone I know works in the industry for over 20 years) and people still go and study engineering. your friend might be unemployment because s/he studied actuarial before the industry boom. bad luck for him/her.
this. i mean actuaries have to be very valuable for companies for what they do. however dr fresh is right that there arent that many slots opened each year. but if u do well u can get a job quite easily.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
i know a guy who finished B Actuarial Studies. hes been unemployed for 3 years.
I would not be surprised, if this person only say, passed etc. in actuarial, realistically you need your exemptions, and since there is a bell curve which allows 1/2 of the cohort to receive the exemption, lots of people miss them. there are many delusional people in the course right now, who believe passing actuarial will make them top shit and employers will bow at their feet, and those who know the harsh reality, but encourage this type of thinking as more scrubs in the course means better marks for others

that is true, though Ds might not even be enough. I have all D's in actl, i am not going to get any kind of actuarial internship this summer, there is like 10 spots in sydney

demand really isnt, in fact actuarial salaries have fallen

Garygaz

HSC
engineering is not in low demand. i can guarantee you that it is the exact opposite, kids finishing their degrees getting flights paid for and accommodation at a mine in QLD getting 150k+ first year. elec engineering as well, a friend got intern work with credit average from unsw getting $40 an hour 5 days a week during summer holidays (2nd year).

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
would u guys recommend doing a engineering/commerce degree so i hav double the options just in case like u say i dont find work as an actuary.

muzeikchun852

HSC
engineering is not in low demand. i can guarantee you that it is the exact opposite, kids finishing their degrees getting flights paid for and accommodation at a mine in QLD getting 150k+ first year. elec engineering as well, a friend got intern work with credit average from unsw getting $40 an hour 5 days a week during summer holidays (2nd year).
that's industry boom. obviously those mining job is going to be in demand at the moment. but the question is whether this boom will continue for the next 10, 20, 30 years of working life. also, comparatively, depends on what field are you working on, the environment where mining engineer work is relatively harsh, compare to office work for actuarial.

but industry like civil, computer, even electrical has already had their boom and by the time we (as in '11er) finish our degree in 3-5 years, we will probably be unemployed. whether the demand is high at the moment doesn't really concern us as 11'er, but predicting the next few years' or so will.

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
hahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha

Computers have peaked

ahahshahhahshashbalivhalsivdab;sd

are you fucking kidding me

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
You had *some* degree of truth to the first part of your post

Then you said civil, computer and electrical engineers will be unemployable because their skills will be out of demand

My god who have you been talking to

Roley

HSC
My parents are both actuaries. My dad works for a bank in mgt, doesn't really do actuarial work anymore, my mum works for a life insurance company doing valuation work. It pays well. There is a legislation requirement for actuaries in life insurance to value the liabilities. It's technical work with computer models. Otherwise you can get into mgt. You can also work for merchant banks or the stock exchange.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)