• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Violence erupts in Sydney over anti-Islam film (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
All i have to say is your very arrogant to believe that film was not made with the intention to incite violence. Yes, the violence is not justified but i definitely don't agree with u about the underlying intentions of this film.
Well, you're wrong. It may have been made to be be satire, it may have been made to promote controversial opinions, hell, it may have even been made to offend.

What is wasn't made for was to get people going around causing violence and promoting beheading. You think Salman Rushdie (for instance) wants to live in fear of his own life. Because he had an opinion and delivered it in a controversial way. People don't create works of art so they have to fear for their life, they do it because they have something to say.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
All i have to say is your very arrogant to believe that film was not made with the intention to incite violence. Yes, the violence is not justified but i definitely don't agree with u about the underlying intentions of this film.
I thought it was hilarious. Plenty of dumb fuck Christians got offended about Passion of the Christ but none of them murdered people

H

hobozforlife

The producer finally admitted that he was motivated to make this movie because “I’m tired of the radical Muslims running around killing everyone.” And the fact that he lied to all the actors working, clearly shows he had some hidden motives.

http://rt.com/news/israeli-filmmaker-hiding-muhammad-932/

And because initially it had a handful of people watching it, and no actions were taken by muslims, thus his mission wasnt accomplished.So the film was "dubbed" into egyption arabic and it was shown on egyption television..no shyt it wudnt spark outrage among us?

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
7eleven I suggest you read Voltaire

Im paraphrasing one of his more famous quotes

"i despise what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

That, imo is the essence of freedom of speech

HSC
someone raised this point earlier, and i agree with u, as to how several have used this as an excuse to protest against the west. But, its quite similiar to how the Americans used 9/11 as an excuse to gain entry into iraq and other midlle eastern countries.
No, we are talking about a video not two planes crashing into an American landmark and killing hundreds of people. I don't think it's that easy to draw parallels between the two, a few demonstrations over a film no one has seen VS one of the greatest tragedies of the age.

Peccadillo

HSC
The video may well have intended to simply be funny 7eleven (I still havent seen it and dont care to).
Anders Breivik's manifesto = instrument of inciting hatred.
A video or cartoon trying to be funny using the 'shock factor' of using the prophet = culturally and religeously insensitive.

There is a big difference. The problem we have here is that this is another example of a distinct conflict between western values and that of fundamental islam. Further championing the notion that the two civilisations cannot co-exist...
The West believe they have a right to depict the prophet, Islam believes that not only do they not have the right, but they are punishable for doing so...
Compromise is necessary or the conflict can only be resolved by butting heads. You cannot expect the west to completely forfeit their belief in favour of our own - it is unreasonable to do so.

EDIT: At the same time the West needs to understand the severity of the insult... It would be like me making a video poking fun at the victims of a terrible tragedy such as making fun of victims of 9/11 on 12/11/01. That is how serious the offense caused to many really is. Which I think is difficult for non-believers to comprehend as the level of endearment is so incomprehensible to someone who does not understand Islam.

Last edited:

Myans

HSC
Like I said yes if they mock any religion, with only hatred in mind.
If you want backwards religion, i would advise you to go and watch some SBS documentaries about Jews and Christians. Would make a really big difference to your understanding of religion and what the word 'backwards' actually encompasses.
Enough said.

Edit: To clarify the context. Living Moment says he would behead anybody who mocked any religion. Then Ahmed proceeded to mock Judaism and Christianity. Watch out Ahmed, Living Moment is coming for you

Last edited:
HSC
Enough said.
LOL, there is nothing wrong with Christianity, Judaism, or Islam - only certain interpretations of religious teachings. Calling the three Abrahamic religions "backwards" is gonna get us nowhere, especially since unless you belong to those religions you can never fully understand them. Just chucked us all together there, that's like me chucking the Vietnamese, Thai and Cambodians together and calling them all backwards.

Last edited:

7eleven

HSC
N/A
"Under the narrower guidelines, only speech that has the intent and the likelihood of inciting imminent violence or lawbreaking can be limited."- now don't tell me that the film didnt intend to bring about violence. Why would the producers send the film to the media in arab nations, as this article clearly suggests.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-chayes-innocence-of-muslims-first-amendment-20120918,0,3112718.story

Well this article suggests that the film itself does break the boundaries of "freedom of speech" according to american law. You guys should have a read.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The producer finally admitted that he was motivated to make this movie because “I’m tired of the radical Muslims running around killing everyone.” And the fact that he lied to all the actors working, clearly shows he had some hidden motives.

http://rt.com/news/israeli-filmmaker-hiding-muhammad-932/

And because initially it had a handful of people watching it, and no actions were taken by muslims, thus his mission wasnt accomplished.So the film was "dubbed" into egyption arabic and it was shown on egyption television..no shyt it wudnt spark outrage among us?
So what? It is not his problem that people cannot contain themselves in a civilised society. He is legally entitled to produce a film for this reason. Freedom. Just as a Muslim has the right to produce something similar.

"Under the narrower guidelines, only speech that has the intent and the likelihood of inciting imminent violence or lawbreaking can be limited."- now don't tell me that the film didnt intend to bring about violence. Why would the producers send the film to the media in arab nations, as this article clearly suggests.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-chayes-innocence-of-muslims-first-amendment-20120918,0,3112718.story

Well this article suggests that the film itself does break the boundaries of "freedom of speech" according to american law. You guys should have a read.
The article is not a legal authority. To help interpret the US Constitution, you need to refer to various Supreme Court rulings (like the one I mentioned above) for starters.

Last edited:

Peccadillo

HSC
I thought it was hilarious. Plenty of dumb fuck Christians got offended about Passion of the Christ but none of them murdered people
Can an admin warn this bloke? He's a real imbecile. If you want to promote constructive discussion it would help to removed him from it.

PakiPrince

HSC
I was at the protest. Though only for an hour. Things got out of hand well after i left. But from what i saw, there was a huge police presence already in place. The police claim they were caught by surprise. False.

I'm against the whole protest, but i find it quite annoying that people are praising the police as bein the heroes. The Police have done many a bad shit. Example: the death of the Aboriginal in NT.

And the police also claim that charges are gonna be laid against a few Muslims becoz of animal abuse..... Well if theres a dog at your knees trying to fukn eat u, WTF r u meant to do? Oh i know, lets go pat him!! Fukn retarts

7eleven

HSC
N/A
No its isn't freedom. His broken the American law, if u had only read my previous post

HSC
I was at the protest. Though only for an hour. Things got out of hand well after i left. But from what i saw, there was a huge police presence already in place. The police claim they were caught by surprise. False.

I'm against the whole protest, but i find it quite annoying that people are praising the police as bein the heroes. The Police have done many a bad shit. Example: the death of the Aboriginal in NT.

And the police also claim that charges are gonna be laid against a few Muslims becoz of animal abuse..... Well if theres a dog at your knees trying to fukn eat u, WTF r u meant to do? Oh i know, lets go pat him!! Fukn retarts
So let's not generalize all Muslims but police, hey that's fine?

7eleven

HSC
N/A
HAAAH lol

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Can an admin warn this bloke? He's a real imbecile. If you want to promote constructive discussion it would help to removed him from it.
Hahahaha why? Everything he says is a valid contribution. So what if it's flavoured with a bit of swearing and insults? Again, that comes back to the concept of free speech. Just because you don't like what he says doesn't give you the right to silence him.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A

"fak da poh-lees, dey be pussys if dey worried about safety"

Peccadillo

HSC

retards*. If a protester was hitting a dog that was biting him - fair enough. If a protester was throwing things at the dog or attempting to harm the dog when NOT doing so in self defence. They are correct to attempt to prosecute for some form of animal abuse. Just like if a protester was attempting to harm a police officer they would be charged with assault (being it's on a human in that instance). You would need to cite the case for us to establish if those charges are jusitified.

If you were against the protest brother...why were you there?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)