Violence erupts in Sydney over anti-Islam film (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Hey Lolsmith, philosophical side note (fuck off everyone else): do you think that freedom of speech still holds if it is used to inhibit someone else's freedom of speech, especially through violence or threats thereof?
I don't really see how it is possible to inhibit free speech without some sort of physical interference i.e. Censorship or incapacitating, imprisoning someone in which case you *are* negatively impacting on their property, which is against the concept of freedom imo.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Hey Lolsmith, philosophical side note (fuck off everyone else): do you think that freedom of speech still holds if it is used to inhibit someone else's freedom of speech, especially through violence or threats thereof?
A threat is mere words. Speech is speech regardless of its origin or any real implied action at a later time. I don't think it's right to say that you can restrict someone's ability to make threats, you can only restrict their ability to carry out threats. This can be done in a manner of ways, some more pragmatic than others. You can have police stationed at every single office, home and public place, for example. You could also allow people to carry arms in order to defend themselves in light of any attempts to carry out any sort of threat of violence.

If it's something like 300 people in a country of scores of millions calling for overt capital punishment and restriction of free speech, then it is generally pretty ineffective. Saying people aren't allowed to express themselves usually radicalises them and their community even more and drives them further underground.

fortyfortyforty

HSC
Brother, do i have to spell it out for you? The video has negatively impacted person/s. Meaning it has negatively impacted the entire muslim world, thus the protests. Therefore it is an infringement according to the guy's views.

"fak off u jew"

Wat?
Are you saying that all pieces of expression that negatively impact someone's feelings should be banned?

Most people here don't think that hurting your precious religious ideology is on some taboo level.

Peccadillo

HSC
I didn't even say that, you did. My point was that there are methods of protest to express your outrage that don't involve being dangers to the public. Did you even read the entirety of my post?
OK play coy - waste my time if you insist.

Because he is a mass-murdering illiterate child raping peasant?
Not trolling? Intelligent post yes? Cant wait to read your thesis.

Yeah except you guys are really dumb about it

The U.S goverment doesn't own YouTube and didn't create the video. Marching up to the embassy and demanding censorship of something that upset your poor sensibilities demonstrates an extremely clear lack of understanding of how democracy (and reality lol) works. Not that you guys care about democracy or freedom of speech, though.
- Theres the idiotic generalisations I was talking about.

I thought it was hilarious. Plenty of dumb fuck Christians got offended about Passion of the Christ but none of them murdered people
Does imply that all christians are dumb as far as I'm concerned despite your belief that I do not understand the english language. Do you think there are smart christians out there? Just out of curiosity.

Side note: Didnt the jews get more offended by the Passion of the Christ? That was my understanding given it was made by Mel Gibson.. I doubt Christians were THAT offended by it simply due to graphic content as it doesn't actually impede on any of their beliefs (correct me if I'm wrong).

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
Hahahaha why? Everything he says is a valid contribution. So what if it's flavoured with a bit of swearing and insults? Again, that comes back to the concept of free speech. Just because you don't like what he says doesn't give you the right to silence him.
well, he has the right to remain silent

So others should also have the right to silence him.

Peccadillo

HSC
I attended the Khillifah conference where this girl spoke. She is the daughter of a prominant member of Hizb Ut-Tahrir. She did not call upon young Australian Muslims to go out and fight in the name of Jihad. She was talking mostly about the problems faced by young brothers and sisters of Islam in Syria. It is a very concerning thing for Muslims to see the youth of these nations being so heavilty traumatised by what is occured. Children watch their families murdered. Not many in Australia can comprehend this kind of life. This life which has been brought about by puppet regimes and Western influence in the region.

So when you ask a Muslim - do you really want the region to be subject to Sharia Law where you can be punished by death, have to wear a scarf cant perform sexual acts in public etc etc etc yadayadayada. I personally think well that sounds a shit load better than how it is now.

She was just there quite possibly out of her fathers desire for her to be politically active and so everyone can say "Awwww". It makes muslims feel hopeful when they see youth expressing such beliefs.

I agree that you should not get an 8 year old politically involved. I think its a terrible move from a PR perspective for Hizb Ut-Tahrir and I thought it at the time.

Peccadillo

HSC
Funny. Our speech laws allow a conference where the goal is to convince all the attendees to support and push for a future state where free speech is banned. Iffy.
An Islamic state does not condone free speech but it is encouraging of speech which promotes that which is beneficial to muslim people and is.. Islamically conducive - So I dont see the contradiction.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
I attended the Khillifah conference where this girl spoke. She is the daughter of a prominant member of Hizb Ut-Tahrir. She did not call upon young Australian Muslims to go out and fight in the name of Jihad. She was talking mostly about the problems faced by young brothers and sisters of Islam in Syria. It is a very concerning thing for Muslims to see the youth of these nations being so heavilty traumatised by what is occured. Children watch their families murdered. Not many in Australia can comprehend this kind of life. This life which has been brought about by puppet regimes and Western influence in the region.

So when you ask a Muslim - do you really want the region to be subject to Sharia Law where you can be punished by death, have to wear a scarf cant perform sexual acts in public etc etc etc yadayadayada. I personally think well that sounds a shit load better than how it is now.

She was just there quite possibly out of her fathers desire for her to be politically active and so everyone can say "Awwww". It makes muslims feel hopeful when they see youth expressing such beliefs.

I agree that you should not get an 8 year old politically involved. I think its a terrible move from a PR perspective for Hizb Ut-Tahrir and I thought it at the time.
don't you dare blame that shit on the west.

Shit like that has been happening in the middle east since it was a place with humans in it.

Fuck. Shit like that happened in western culture before we became ~civilised~.

Don't be a dickhead and maybe realise that the problem lies with your people, not mine.

I'm influenced by western culture, yet I don't go around killing people's parents.

Pull your head in.

a c

HSC
I can see ten unusual things about that article, among them;

1. "audience of 600", camera pans to audience of not more than 100
2. The title implies she is urging an Islamic uprising in Australia, the body of text suggests it's more likely she was referring to the situation in Syria.
3. The video shows an excerpt from her speech, funnily the only part of the speech not depicted in the video is where she might imply she is calling for a global islamic state.
4. The quote where she allegedly calls for a global islamic state is: "she yearns to once again live under the banner of (the Islamic state)." What did she actually say where they have replaced her words with parenthesis?
5. Does "(the islamic state)" imply a global governement, that doesn't seem clear to me.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A

Shit like that has been happening in the middle east since it was a place with humans in it.

Don't be a dickhead and maybe realise that the problem lies with your people, not mine.

I'm influenced by western culture, yet I don't go around killing people's parents.

Pull your head in.
he didn't blame it on the western culture at all. All he said was that some Western powers such as the United States have had political (and in some cases, military) influences over the region, which is a fact. Whether or not such influences were positive or not is subject to debate, but there is no denying that some people are justifiably/unjustifiably pissed off about it.

7eleven

HSC
N/A
Tbh, there are several muslims that are against Hiz-but-tahrir. The group has been banned in muslim countries like Bangladesh and Pakistan, and im suprised this group is still running in australia, and england. Just before i get attacked here, i dont agree nor disagree with the agendas they pursue.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
A threat is mere words. Speech is speech regardless of its origin or any real implied action at a later time. I don't think it's right to say that you can restrict someone's ability to make threats, you can only restrict their ability to carry out threats. This can be done in a manner of ways, some more pragmatic than others. You can have police stationed at every single office, home and public place, for example. You could also allow people to carry arms in order to defend themselves in light of any attempts to carry out any sort of threat of violence.

If it's something like 300 people in a country of scores of millions calling for overt capital punishment and restriction of free speech, then it is generally pretty ineffective. Saying people aren't allowed to express themselves usually radicalises them and their community even more and drives them further underground.
I kind of agree, but at the same time I'm also torn because no-one reads a legitimate death threat and just shrug and say "well, he's allowed to say that but he won't ever hurt me because the law says he can't." If someone says "stop saying such and such or I will kill you" and the threat is legitimate then plenty of people would shut up because of that threat. Under your rules this would seem to be be perfectly fair. So the idea that someone can use their freedom of speech to destroy my freedom of speech is repugnant to me. Yes, I realise the only way that you can in turn stop the person that was originally making the threats is to silence them and this creates a contradiction, but I prefer to think of it mostly as "you have this right, but if you misuse it the state reserves the right to take that away from you." That can create a slippery slope to all sorts of populist or dictatorial silencing, but as long as it was clearly spelt out to begin with as "freedom of speech unless that speech inhibits the freedom of others" then I think it can maintain internal consistency without leading to a totalitarian outcome (in liberal democracies anyway).

Peccadillo

HSC

Pull your head in.
Go educate yourself. Under previous Caliphate rule the Muslim lands were prosperous and forward thinking. They were FAR more learned than western civilisations in a variety of fields... scientific, business, architecture and other art forms.

As for their spread into Europe... Relative to whats involved in the spread of an Empire.. It was hardly the most horrific.

For the record - I am british. "My people" have a disgusting history. Our empire had many atrocities and was also during a time where humanity should have known better.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
he didn't blame it on the western culture at all. All he said was that some Western powers such as the United States have had political (and in some cases, military) influences over the region, which is a fact. Whether or not such influences were positive or not is subject to debate, but there is no denying that some people are justifiably/unjustifiably pissed off about it.
he just said "western influence"

Regardless of what he meant that is what he said.

And the United States is part of the West, but is not the entirety of the west.

That's like me saying that all Muslims are violent cunts, just because the protestors the other day, who were Muslims, were violent cunts.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Go educate yourself. Under previous Caliphate rule the Muslim lands were prosperous and forward thinking. They were FAR more learned than western civilisations in a variety of fields... scientific, business, architecture and other art forms.

As for their spread into Europe... Relative to whats involved in the spread of an Empire.. It was hardly the most horrific.

For the record - I am british. "My people" have a disgusting history. Our empire had many atrocities and was also during a time where humanity should have known better.
Yes, which is why the Middle East has maintained itself as the centre of learning, culture and influence for the past millennium. Oh wait. Nevermind.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Tbh, there are several muslims that are against Hiz-but-tahrir. The group has been banned in muslim countries like Bangladesh and Pakistan, and im suprised this group is still running in australia, and england. Just before i get attacked here, i dont agree nor disagree with the agendas they pursue.
I completely disagree with their agendas. I think the very notion of expanding something as personal as religion into a political force is ridiculously stupid as it inherently creates division and excludes people who don't follow the religion. Furthermore, Hizb-ut-Tahrir have consistently promoted extremist behaviour completely at odds with what many Muslims believe.

Peccadillo

HSC
I can see ten unusual things about that article, among them;

1. "audience of 600", camera pans to audience of not more than 100
2. The title implies she is urging an Islamic uprising in Australia, the body of text suggests it's more likely she was referring to the situation in Syria.
3. The video shows an excerpt from her speech, funnily the only part of the speech not depicted in the video is where she might imply she is calling for a global islamic state.
4. The quote where she allegedly calls for a global islamic state is: "she yearns to once again live under the banner of (the Islamic state)." What did she actually say where they have replaced her words with parenthesis?
5. Does "(the islamic state)" imply a global governement, that doesn't seem clear to me.
It's so nice to see someone who actually thinks about it. Hizb Ut-Tahrir is a fundamentalist organisation - they are NOT extremist's by my definition of the word. They intend to promote an Islamic state in the middle-east alone. Not a global one.

The audience was about 500. That is more or less accurate. Many were there to support their intentions but not all may 100% agree with all of their policies.

She was not urging an Islamic uprising in Australia at all. It was as you rightly say almost entirely related to Syria and what we can do to aid them.

I can't recall her exact wording - Hizb Ut-Tahrir have posted the live speech on their website which you can view - I cant be bothered linking but if you google Hizb Ut Tahrir Australia you can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)