Violence erupts in Sydney over anti-Islam film (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
To have absolutely no respect for a religion, which when you study - shows that it preaches compassion, humility, modesty, selflessness, honesty.. The list goes on and on... These are good qualities. I do not assert that these qualities cannot be achieved without religion, I do suggest that many anti-theist's may struggle to, for example, not tell a lie - because if they believe that the other person will benefit from it (even if they wont).. they will lie - but thats a different discussion. My point is Islam still teaches these things.. To have no (as in 0%) respect forIslam suggests you do not respect the promotion of such qualities.

The fact you choose only to focus on the negative, in my opinion damages the validity of your opinions. As it leads me to believe you have an inability to be objective and and form your opinion on half-truths. As men who consider their cognitive process to be scientific.. I see a great flaw.

Anyway Admin - I'm sorry - I dont want to get the thread closed again due to religious discussion. I do feel however that this lack of respect for Islam in media outlets is a major contributor to issues like that from Saturday.
I think the point remains that these qualities do not need to be linked to religion. Religion should not be appreciated or depreciated on values which are not mutually exclusive.

Peccadillo

HSC
I think the point remains that these qualities do not need to be linked to religion. Religion should not be appreciated or depreciated on values which are not mutually exclusive.
But why not? That's like saying I don't appreciate Bob for believing he should be honest about cheating on his wife because Dave believes one should be honest too.

Further to that it appears respect for Islam does depreciate on perceived negative values which are also not mutually exclusive... Therefore your argument goes both ways.

Last edited:

Garygaz

HSC
Name me an ethical statement made or an action performed by a believer that could not have been made or performed by a non-believer.

Now is there a wicked statement made, or an evil action performed, precisely because of religious faith?

????

7eleven

HSC
N/A
Name me an ethical statement made or an action performed by a believer that could not have been made or performed by a non-believer.

Now is there a wicked statement made, or an evil action performed, precisely because of religious faith?

????
WTH????

Peccadillo

HSC

????
The question you ask does not pose anything beyond the notion already outlined by Ozko. I also made quite clear that it is possible for one to achieve the same moral standards (let's say the 'good qualities' so as not to allow the debate to become convoluted) you can achieve through following the teachings Islam if you do not believe in God.

On a side note the values and ethics humans have been influenced through centuries of religeous teachings have been so heavily ingrained in our psyche - One could argue that every single ethical statement ever recorded can be linked to qualities promoted through religion. That would be a very difficult thing to investigate for obvious reasons. However it would certainly be a reasonable concept to infer.

EDIT: I also acknowledge that you can also link every single unethical statement to religion by the same logic. However I refer back to my Bob and Dave example, illustrating that you can and should appreciate positive values in anything if you believe in the importance of being morally astute.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
But why not? That's like saying I don't appreciate Bob for believing he should be honest about cheating on his wife because Dave believes one should be honest too.

Further to that it appears respect for Islam does depreciate on perceived negative values which are also not mutually exclusive... Therefore your argument goes both ways.
You see the issue with the argument is that we are assuming that religion is what is holding morality together.

You don't have to be religious to have moral values. That's why praising religion on the values it espouses is useless.

Garygaz

HSC
well the fact remains that the greeks, the chinese and countless others had functioning societies with laws and some degree of human rights well before today's religions came along. so you're essentially saying religions which were preaching to false gods or at least gods you don't believe in were still capable of coming to some positive ethical standpoints. therefore, you can assume, the mere idea of a god and the fear of punishment and hope for reward, no matter the type or number of gods, is enough to make someone behave in a specific manner (not always positive if looking through history/present). but what does this even prove? that we can be scared into submission rather than educated on the benefits of behaving in a mutually beneficial manner? that's about it, in my opinion.

7eleven

HSC
N/A
You see the issue with the argument is that we are assuming that religion is what is holding morality together.

You don't have to be religious to have moral values. That's why praising religion on the values it espouses is useless.
Well imo, most moral values can be traced back to religious preachings. Just saying.

Peccadillo

HSC

But we are only talking about complete disrespect for Islam here.. Surely one can only make that determination based on its negative and positive values??? I can understand your belief that you do not have to embrace Islam due to it's positive qualities as you can achieve those qualities through other means.. But thats not what we are talking about.

PakiPrince

HSC
Anyone heard bout the cartoons of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) that were recently published (i think yesterday) in a french magazine, that depict him naked... The nutjob who drew it said it was freedom of the press. Well he will find his freedom soon enough..

Garygaz

HSC
Anyone heard bout the cartoons of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) that were recently published (i think yesterday) in a french magazine, that depict him naked... The nutjob who drew it said it was freedom of the press. Well he will find his freedom soon enough..
religion of peace

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Well imo, most moral values can be traced back to religious preachings. Just saying.
And, pray tell, what can your religious teachings be traced back to?

Whatever. To determine the relative merits of any religion - Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism - to calculate the costs and benefits, pros and cons, is beside the point. Your religion is not premised on its relative merit but its claim of absolute truth.

Last edited:

Peccadillo

HSC
but what does this even prove? that we can be scared into submission rather than educated on the benefits of behaving in a mutually beneficial manner? that's about it, in my opinion.
I completely respect that opinion however I seemingly have far less faith in man-kind than you do.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
I completely respect that opinion however I seemingly have far less faith in man-kind than you do.
There is literally no evidence to suggest that religions have any special claim to being conducive to the proliferation of mutually beneficial behaviour (i.e. enlargening 'the tribe') than any other arbitrary foundation of common identity. Indeed, like any arbitrary foundation they serve to both unite and divide, and therefore proliferate both beneficence and mass cruelty. To claim that religion - your Islam, in particular - assuages your lack of faith in mankind is an act of intellectual fraud; you need to find something better. Have you tried science?

Last edited:

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A

Peccadillo

HSC
There is literally no evidence to suggest that religions have any special claim to being conducive to the proliferation of mutually beneficial behaviour (i.e. enlargening 'the tribe') than any other arbitrary foundation of common identity. Indeed, like any arbitrary foundation they serve to both unite and divide, and therefore proliferate both beneficence and mass cruelty. To claim that religion - your Islam, in particular - assuages your lack of faith in mankind is an act of intellectual fraud; you need to find something better. Have you tried science?
The fact that there is no evidence doesnt make it so. Like I said, it would be an incredibly difficult (dare I say impossible) thing to prove or disprove. I used the word "influenced" in a previous post. I speculated my belief that it is beneficial.

Islam does not assuage my lack of faith. My personal opinion based on experience is what what has formed that particular outlook.

I love science btw - If my science teacher wasnt such a dick in high school I would probably be studying it right now.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Apparently there are fears that a cartoon depicting muhammad negatively could spark more unrest - http://www.smh.com.au/world/french-...-new-muhammad-cartoon-row-20120920-267ix.html
Cartoonists can draw whatever they want. That cartoon is no more offensive than any other cartoon regularly run in newspapers. If some people are too aloof to see that and recognise that, the nit is their problem and they should be dealt with under the full force of the law (and if necessary, military action).

Thirdly that it appears many active posters in this forum are very much anti-islam.
I don't think anyone is anti-Islam, however I do think most people in Australia are anti violence, anti-terorrism and anti societies where women are forced to wear veils or are stoned to death for having an affair with the neighbor.

Anyway Admin - I'm sorry - I dont want to get the thread closed again due to religious discussion. I do feel however that this lack of respect for Islam in media outlets is a major contributor to issues like that from Saturday.
The media has been pretty tame about the issue actually. It is not a lack of respect from the media, it is a lack of respect from some muslims (not all) towards Australia and Western society in general.

Explain.

Anyone is allowed to draw cartoons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peccadillo

HSC
I don't think anyone is anti-Islam, however I do think most people in Australia are anti violence, anti-terorrism and anti societies where women are forced to wear veils or are stoned to death for having an affair with the neighbor.
Samesies

Peccadillo

HSC
The media has been pretty tame about the issue actually. It is not a lack of respect from the media, it is a lack of respect from some muslims (not all) towards Australia and Western society in general.
No no... I was talking more about the culmination of xenophobic.and anti Islamic outpourings for the past decade.being a contributor to such anger as seen in the riot on Saturday. See post cronulla riots.

I wasn't referring to how the media have reacted to Saturday itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)