When would you start tutoring? (2 Viewers)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
if you struggle you may need tutoring or if you believe that school assistance is not enough then tutoring is required. Or if your asian its not an option.
But OP hasn't even started prelims, and I think she has the misconception that tutoring is required for a high ATAR, when independent study is more than adequate to gain a high ATAR. Either that, or OP has a lack of confidence in her ability to do well in the subjects she has picked, in which case I would seriously recommend rethinking subject selections.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
hmm should do tutoring for english at least, good at it or not, additional essay marking is always helpful

timeflies

HSC
Start tutoring when you finish your HSC and have spare time to rip off children who want to be dependent on others their whole life. Oh you meant when to start getting tutoring yourself... my bad

timeflies

HSC
Haha no but in all seriousness, tutoring is definitely not a necessity as others have pointed out. If you can study and learn by yourself, always try to do so. Only if you feel that you are really struggling to understand concepts and getting left behind in class and only after you have tried to get help from teachers, peers and other helpful people (eg. right here on BoS), should you even contemplate getting some paid help.

Note: this does not apply to english. English is a bitch.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
But OP hasn't even started prelims, and I think she has the misconception that tutoring is required for a high ATAR, when independent study is more than adequate to gain a high ATAR. Either that, or OP has a lack of confidence in her ability to do well in the subjects she has picked, in which case I would seriously recommend rethinking subject selections.
+1 Tutoring is nothing without you putting in the effort, otherwise you're wasting the money.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

timeflies

HSC
+1 Truth.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Get your teacher to give feedback on your essays.
This. I always found it stupid that people would go to tutoring, but never speak to their teachers outside of class time. Most teachers are more then happy to mark extra work that you have done. I was amazed at the amount of times my teachers gave up their lunch breaks, or stayed after school to help me with my work.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
This. I always found it stupid that people would go to tutoring, but never speak to their teachers outside of class time. Most teachers are more then happy to mark extra work that you have done. I was amazed at the amount of times my teachers gave up their lunch breaks, or stayed after school to help me with my work.
The problem I had with my teachers though is that their feedback is very general - not detailed or anything.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
The problem I had with my teachers though is that their feedback is very general - not detailed or anything.
You can always follow them up about it. Just go see them in your free periods or lunch and get them to through the essay with you. Just remember that they're not gonna make an effort with you if you don't make an effort with them.

enoilgam

HSC
Hi :) I'm a Yr 10 student who's just wondering when the average person starts tutoring (if should they choose to be tutored) for the HSC. I have friends who have already started tutoring, but I kinda don't see the point in doing so, since the vast majority of students (or at least of those that I know) fool around in their junior years and tutoring seems to imply effort needed from both tutor and student.

I have previous experience in tutoring. For the selective school test, I started going to Coaching college around 6-9 months before the test however I found the tutoring college to be unhelpful. This was more because of my age rather than tutoring may not be the best study method for me. (I was at the stage of my life where everything would go in through one ear then out the other ear) And since the HSC is evidently a bigger test and obviously more difficult, I doubt my meager (and somewhat useless) experience in tutoring would answer my question. Hence, I was wondering for those who have been tutored or are being tutored in preparation for the HSC, when do you guys start? And which subjects do you choose to start with? Do you start off with one on one or group tutoring?

Thank you so much :)
With tutoring, it really depends on the individual. Before considering the when, you should consider whether you need or want tutoring. A lot of people do tutoring for the sake of it and it sometimes ends up being largely a waste of time (not to mention money). If you decide to go through with it, then there isnt really a right time to start. If you feel you need it straight away, then you should do it. If you dont think it is necessary at this point, then I would wait.

Considering that you are starting Year 11 next year, I'd only start tutoring early on if you need to catch up/work on your maths abilities.

Erinaceous

HSC
How do you know that you will need tutoring? Tutoring isn't a necessity for a high ATAR. If you put in the effort and get good marks, then you won't need tutoring.
I don't know I need tutoring, but I want to try it at least once because if it is a beneficial way for me to learn then I will keep going at it :) Hence my question on when do people usually start to be tutored. I want to put in the maximum amount of effort I can so even if I don't get the marks, I won't be dissapointed. Trying out tutoring is one of those things that I want to do, so I won't regret later on.

I don't have the misconception that tutoring is required for a high ATAR ;-; Learning style differs from person to person, independent study may not always be more adequant to gain a high ATAR :O For some people, sure, but everyone's learning style differs. Again, I simply want to try out tutoring xD If it's the thing for me, I will continue. If i feel I will do better on my own, then I will quit. :)

I think any year 10 going into year 11 will have somewhat alack of confidence in their ability to do well in any subjects. Teachers (at least of mine and my twin's school) tend to emphasis on the amount of workload that is required in senior school. I can safely say that yes, I am not confident in my ability to do well, but I'm confident in my ability to try my hardest. Whether trying my hardest will give me good marks, or whether that will come with the realisation that I may need help from other individuals in certain subjects, is something that I want to see. Personally i think it's arrogant to assume that just because you did well in year 10, you'll do well in year 11.

Haha no but in all seriousness, tutoring is definitely not a necessity as others have pointed out. If you can study and learn by yourself, always try to do so. Only if you feel that you are really struggling to understand concepts and getting left behind in class and only after you have tried to get help from teachers, peers and other helpful people (eg. right here on BoS), should you even contemplate getting some paid help.

Note: this does not apply to english. English is a bitch.
lol nice xD;

That's why I'm wondering when I should start tutoring :) Are your assumption of your strengths and weaknesses of year 10, valid for subjects in year 11? I agree with you in that if you can study and learn by yourself, it's best to do so, only because if you can do it yourself, then it's like a waste of resources - both your time and the tutor's time xD But then again, since year 11 is the start of prelims, I don't have the confidence that I will do well. I mean, all my teachers are saying that you need to study at least 4 hours every school day. I didn't even study 4 hours on the days near my exams this year - I can't possibly see <b> what </b> you can study for 4 hours every day. Hence tutoring aka the thing that gives you extra work by taking you further along the course.

lol english was nice, back in the days of primary ;-;

Erinaceous

HSC
My chemistry teacher almost had a heart attack when I asked him questions outside of class e.e The old dude "mocked" me in front of his peers and pretty much refused to answer my question. My english teacher on the other hand, was extremely helpful but after the 5th paragraph, I had a feeling he wasn't marking it as much as just scanning it for any grammatical corrections. So yeah, for reasons unknown the thought that a paid individual would put in more effort has crossed my mind.

Last edited:

Erinaceous

HSC
With tutoring, it really depends on the individual. Before considering the when, you should consider whether you need or want tutoring. A lot of people do tutoring for the sake of it and it sometimes ends up being largely a waste of time (not to mention money). If you decide to go through with it, then there isnt really a right time to start. If you feel you need it straight away, then you should do it. If you dont think it is necessary at this point, then I would wait.

Considering that you are starting Year 11 next year, I'd only start tutoring early on if you need to catch up/work on your maths abilities.

Thank you for your response :)
My parents want me to start tutoring in the beginning of year 11 - if it proves to be useless and I think I can study better, they do want me to drop it. So tutoring for me isn't something that I "must" do as opposed to something I want to try out, just in case that particular study method works for me.

That being said, I don't think I can start tutoring whenever I feel like it, simply because of the positions avaliable. According to my friends who do tutoring, they recommend you book/apply ASAP to get the positions you want. This apparently only applies to the more well-known tutors/ tutoring college which have had proven student results. Those particular tutors/ tutoring colleges, coincidentally matches up with the standard that I want for the individual(s) that I want to be my tutors. Hence my question. :)
Thanks again for your response<3

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
lol... good thing I'm asian xD
Lol, my parents wanted to make me continue , but I refuse xD.

I started tutoring for English in year 11 but half way through week 5, it kinda got useless (north shore tutor)...

Last edited:

Erinaceous

HSC
Lol, my parents wanted to make me continue , but I refuse xD.

I started tutoring for English in year 11 but half way through week 5, it kinda got useless (north shore tutor)...
North shore as in the one in chatswood with a logo of the sydney opera house? Apparently tutors from Delta (i think it's delta) are good in terms of english :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)