Year 11 2014 Chat :) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiction

HSC
you know how you have to analyse unseen texts? I sometimes have trouble understanding the poems and writing a sophisticated discussion in the time limit X.X
I would have thought it's the easiest, b/c everyone else's analysis and stuff would be crappy. Are you running out of time or just simply don't understand?

Btw, if you're already doing past paper, you're ahead of the rest of us ;) I'm sure you'll do fine<3

matchalolz

HSC
btw hawkie, I'm having a lot of trouble believing that you do badly in english lol
this. I have no idea of what a clause or anything is. I just try and make sure my grammar is right and that i'm conveying decent ideas and not waffling and wasting words.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I thought a sentence only had to include a verb...? Idk, I was taught clauses and prepositions (i think that's it) in year 6, but at the very end b/c my teacher forgot to teach us before hand xD And after the selective school test, everyone was ilke whatevers.

You're making me worried - good idea to learn clauses? And what's a preposition?

Also from memory, there's adverbial clauses and adjectiv(ial?) clauses?
A word (one of the parts of speech and a member of a closed word class) that shows the relationship between a noun or pronoun and other words in a sentence.

e.g. despite, during, beyond

Fiction

HSC
this. I have no idea of what a clause or anything is. I just try and make sure my grammar is right and that i'm conveying decent ideas and not waffling and wasting words.
For me, whatever sounds right is right lol. I've had that mentality since year 1 (cuz no one does eng in kindie ;) ) and it's worked really well for me. Like I don't think i've ever failed in english before.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
btw hawkie, I'm having a lot of trouble believing that you do badly in english lol
I was just lazy with preparation for half-yearlies, hence why I bombed out lol

normally I do well if I put in the effort

matchalolz

HSC
I would have thought it's the easiest, b/c everyone else's analysis and stuff would be crappy. Are you running out of time or just simply don't understand?

Btw, if you're already doing past paper, you're ahead of the rest of us ;) I'm sure you'll do fine<3
i had no choice but to do it because it was our half yearly assessment lol. i'm one of those asians who doesn't really have a clue what they're doing in english and take the subject because it's compulsory. end of story

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
you know how you have to analyse unseen texts? I sometimes have trouble understanding the poems and writing a sophisticated discussion in the time limit X.X
You can always improve! Identifying techniques all comes down to knowing them and being able to apply your knowledge - practice makes perfect and all that.

And yeah, I used to suck at that section too, but I did lots of past papers within the time limit, ensuring I was able to think on my feet quickly, so now I'm alright.

Last edited:

Fiction

HSC
A word (one of the parts of speech and a member of a closed word class) that shows the relationship between a noun or pronoun and other words in a sentence.

e.g. despite, during, beyond
You lost me at relationship. How does 'despite' or during or beyond, show the relationship between a noun and pronoun?
Pronouns are like, he, she, etc right?

Going witht he mentality that pronouns are he, she etc, does relationship between noun and pronoun =

He, despite the -noun-, was still -verb- ?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
You lost me at relationship. How does 'despite' or during or beyond, show the relationship between a noun and pronoun?
Pronouns are like, he, she, etc right?

Going witht he mentality that pronouns are he, she etc, does relationship between noun and pronoun =

He, despite the -noun-, was still -verb- ?
sorry, that was worded very badly

the point is, as long as your sentence flows without sounding convoluted, you'll be fine :)

matchalolz

HSC
Is anyone planning on doing 4unit maths?
was planning on taking it but not really anymore. to be truthful, my hopes were dashed a little after half yearlies. the teacher was like you need to be getting over 70% in your maths extension to show that you have the potential, and you need to get a lot higher than 70% to survive in 4u. my mark was 69% and i know this is close to 70% but i don't like the idea of taking the subject if i'm not pro/confident in smashing it. but i guess i could improve my mark if i actually started doing my homework, so I'll see how I go in the yearly.

tldr: MAYBE

Fiction

HSC
i had no choice but to do it because it was our half yearly assessment lol. i'm one of those asians who doesn't really have a clue what they're doing in english and take the subject because it's compulsory. end of story
lol you're still ahead of everyone else C: <~ first assessment in english was a reading task (as in in class essay/ short responses) and I did not do any past papers. That's assuming that most of our cohort aren't doing past papers for any subjects (like me, weeeeeee~) which I'm fairly certain is the case at my school.

turntaker

HSC
was planning on taking it but not really anymore. to be truthful, my hopes were dashed a little after half yearlies. the teacher was like you need to be getting over 70% in your maths extension to show that you have the potential, and you need to get a lot higher than 70% to survive in 4u. my mark was 69% and i know this is close to 70% but i don't like the idea of taking the subject if i'm not pro/confident in smashing it. but i guess i could improve my mark if i actually started doing my homework, so I'll see how I go in the yearly.

tldr: MAYBE
Well I got 72 in my half yearly and she said you need to be getting above 85% to handle 4 unit. I got 92 in my first test so I guess I can improve and I just ran out of time in my half yearly. Don't give up. Im sure you can improve a lot for the preliminary one. 4 Unit scales really well. Its the best scaling course you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)