Predictions for Chemistry 2014 HSC? (1 Viewer)

zhertec

HSC
Markers rather HBrO than the Br2 as it shows that you know bromine reacts with water.

QZP

HSC
Markers rather HBrO than the Br2 as it shows that you know bromine reacts with water.
It's fine. This discussion was on BoS a while ago. HBrO was old syllabus and then they allowed Br2(aq) and old teachers didnt adapt

zhertec

HSC
"And what do you mean? They want structural diagram?"
I think she means this: HBrO (aq) + C6H10(l) --> C6H10BrOH(aq) and yea I would also draw structural to clearly show it.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
View attachment 31193

how would you name this compound? And what's the thought process in doing so? :)
I'd name it 2,4-dibromo-1-chloro-2-methylbutane because it's easier to name than going with the other possible longest chain and I'm lazy and dumb haha
Edit: didn't see the fluorine there, add 1-fluoro in as well sorry

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I'd name it 2,4-dibromo-1-chloro-2-methylbutane because it's easier to name than going with the other possible longest chain and I'm lazy and dumb haha
2-methyl, 2,4-dibromo, 1-chloro, 1-fluorobutane. Well that's how I would call it..lol
hmm there's a discrepancy? What logic do you use for it?

Normally you wouldn't start with the methyl group :/

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Ohh so that's what they want in hsc right? So it doesn't matter about electronegativity of the halogens or weird stuff like that?
Nope :) it's alphabetical. In 2012 they accidentally screwed it up themselves, and they'll definitely never do it again because it was a massive deal

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Nope :) it's alphabetical. In 2012 they accidentally screwed it up themselves, and they'll definitely never do it again because it was a massive deal
yes omg that's what I was just looking at right now hahah. Thank gosh, cheers for that! :)

Last edited:

zhertec

HSC
Ok just checked it, yea you are right about the alphabetical thingy

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
wait sorry just to confirm, why cant you start off with 1,3-dibromo etc? How do you get the 2,4 dibromo thing?

QZP

HSC
wait sorry just to confirm, why cant you start off with 1,3-bromo etc? How do you get the 2,4 bromo thing?
When there are 2 possible molecular formulae for the same isomer, the one with least sum of numbers take preference

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)