Chapel Hill Shooting (1 Viewer)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I guess because people in the US are so conditioned to having a gun. The thought of not being able to defend themselves instills a paranoia in their heads so extreme that they can't imagine what it would be like to live without any.
In some ways I guess it would be hard to regulate as of now because almost every household has a gun and to seize everything would be a pretty mammoth task. People will get away with hiding them.

So glad I live in Aus tbh

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I guess because people in the US are so conditioned to having a gun. The thought of not being able to defend themselves instills a paranoia in their heads so extreme that they can't imagine what it would be like to live without any.
In some ways I guess it would be hard to regulate as of now because almost every household has a gun and to seize everything would be a pretty mammoth task. People will get away with hiding them.

So glad I live in Aus tbh
No not just seizing it, you'd have to get 3/4 of each state legislature to vote an amendment to nullify the second amendment (gl with that). Having a gun in the US is a right not a privileged. Funny thing about the US the state's with the strictest gun laws usually have higher rates of gun crime. Saying that I'd rather not have road ragey rednecks packing heat but having been to the south I'm actually surprised people are relatively smart about when to pull a firearm or not.

Personally I wouldn't mind people keeping gun's only in their household to prevent break in's. A home should be your castle.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
1000 people isn't that great of a sample size

No not just seizing it, you'd have to get 3/4 of each state legislature to vote an amendment to nullify the second amendment (gl with that). Having a gun in the US is a right not a privileged. Funny thing about the US the state's with the strictest gun laws usually have higher rates of gun crime. Saying that I'd rather not have road ragey rednecks packing heat but having been to the south I'm actually surprised people are relatively smart about when to pull a firearm or not.

Personally I wouldn't mind people keeping gun's only in their household to prevent break in's. A home should be your castle.
I see

Tbh I still think strict regulation is needed. Even in Australia.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
1000 people isn't that great of a sample size

I see

Tbh I still think strict regulation is needed. Even in Australia.
nah that statistic is fairly accurate tbh

iirc the number of US households that own guns is anywhere between 32-50%

that's still a large number though

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
So the median is like ~40% which is still a large amount. I'd still be too scared to live there.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
So the median is like ~40% which is still a large amount. I'd still be too scared to live there.
So what if they have a gun at home? You're making it out that people are homicidal maniacs because they own a gun. You're forgetting the fact that most of America is pretty damn rural with very little urbanization. Most rural area's in Aus also have pretty high gun ownership. You obviously need something to defend yourself and your family when it takes the cops more than an hour to arrive. Self defense law in NSW is practically non-existent. You can't even use anything as a weapon to defend yourself from harm. Can't even legally purchase pepper spray which is retarded.

People will always have an irrational fear of bad shit happening to them. It's like worrying about the next terror attack in Sydney. I do agree with the point that there are people who shouldn't have access to firearms (I've met a few).

Switzerland and Finland and pretty high gun ownership rates as well.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
So what if they have a gun at home? You're making it out that people are homicidal maniacs because they own a gun. You're forgetting the fact that most of America is pretty damn rural with very little urbanization. Most rural area's in Aus also have pretty high gun ownership. You obviously need something to defend yourself and your family when it takes the cops more than an hour to arrive. Self defense law in NSW is practically non-existent. You can't even use anything as a weapon to defend yourself from harm. Can't even legally purchase pepper spray which is retarded.

People will always have an irrational fear of bad shit happening to them. It's like worrying about the next terror attack in Sydney. I do agree with the point that there are people who shouldn't have access to firearms (I've met a few).

Switzerland and Finland and pretty high gun ownership rates as well.
its more so the fear of it falling into the wrong hands. If they aren't kept well locked up then as you mentioned most of the owners have families and children/youth have more compulsive behaviour and could misuse it. As well as this tragic circumstances like kids gaining access and accidentally shooting themselves can happen.

I haven't heard much gun violence from Finland or switz tbh. But clearly they are doing something right to not have mass shootings and gang violence in the streets everyday.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
As well as this tragic circumstances like kids gaining access and accidentally shooting themselves can happen.
Children are less likely to die from having guns in the home than having a pool in the backyard.

I haven't heard much gun violence from Finland or switz tbh. But clearly they are doing something right to not have mass shootings and gang violence in the streets everyday.
Yeah, it's called having no blacks or hispanics.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
ohh slyvia lel

imo, I think people should be allowed to keep a weapon if they want to (I definitely would). You can do it in Australia with the appropriate licences/permits/etc

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Children are less likely to die from having guns in the home than having a pool in the backyard.

In Straya we have lads

ohh slyvia lel

imo, I think people should be allowed to keep a weapon if they want to (I definitely would). You can do it in Australia with the appropriate licences/permits/etc
You don't even need one lol
srs nobody would approach you

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
ohh slyvia lel

Hah no. you can't get anywhere close to the same level of firearms in Aus. Can't even get a pump shotgun or semi-auto rifle.

The US has a massive gang issue where most of the violence is. With guns you have to teach kids that they're not fucking toys. You teach them from a young age etc. Same how we teach kids how to use knives and scissors so they don't hurt anyone accidently. And you don't keep a fucking loaded gun in the house either. You keep the firearm and ammo separate. Gun's aren't exactly easy to lock and load for a 5 year old either.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Hah no. you can't get anywhere close to the same level of firearms in Aus. Can't even get a pump shotgun or semi-auto rifle.

The US has a massive gang issue where most of the violence is. With guns you have to teach kids that they're not fucking toys. You teach them from a young age etc. Same how we teach kids how to use knives and scissors so they don't hurt anyone accidently. And you don't keep a fucking loaded gun in the house either. You keep the firearm and ammo separate. Gun's aren't exactly easy to lock and load for a 5 year old either.
I don't mean everyone should keep a ak and rpg in their house lol but a small handgun would be "good" imo

I also agree

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
a toddler shot himself though and is probably too young to understand that it is dangerous since he probably had toy guns as well.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
a toddler shot himself though and is probably too young to understand that it is dangerous since he probably had toy guns as well.
no 2 and 3 year olds are smart enough to know. they teach kids that young to shoot in the south and my buddy teaches his kids not to point even "toy" or hand jestured gun at people. At that age you teach them just purely not to do that shit and for god sakes keep your guns in an out of reach place. If you're not home lock that bitch up in a safe or hard to reach place, when you're home make sure you're carrying it all the time like a phone and it'll be fine.

Square: yeah GL getting a handgun license in Australia without going through all the hoops and shit. Handguns are the hardest to get out of everything. And "small handgun" causes the most amount of deaths out of all firearms.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
no 2 and 3 year olds are smart enough to know. they teach kids that young to shoot in the south and my buddy teaches his kids not to point even "toy" or hand jestured gun at people. At that age you teach them just purely not to do that shit and for god sakes keep your guns in an out of reach place. If you're not home lock that bitch up in a safe or hard to reach place, when you're home make sure you're carrying it all the time like a phone and it'll be fine.

Square: yeah GL getting a handgun license in Australia without going through all the hoops and shit. Handguns are the hardest to get out of everything. And "small handgun" causes the most amount of deaths out of all firearms.
Actually.......

long story but yeah I do plan to pursue it thanks :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)