• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

06'ers: any advice? (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
hey guys

just as the title says

we prelims are on the brink of going into year 12, so i was wondering - maybe past/current hsc ppl have some advice?

what to do/what not to do?

things to keep in mind?

how to get through it all?

things we'll inevitably have to face - so keep an eye open for...etcetc

:)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
study hard, don't underestimate the value of assessments early on the year in yr 12

make sure u learn ur content

revise constantly

START YOUR SUMMARY NOTES EARLY!!!

if u don't understand something, ask!

don't hestiate to over-saturate an assessment task with information ... unless they tell you that there is a word limit as such~

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
My advice is pretty much all covered in what shinji said.

'A little bit all the time', try to avoid leaving assessments to the last minute as unlike preliminary everything counts and students are a lot more competitive, handing in drafts and alike. Not starting them early will eventually catch up to you and be detrimental to your performance. That being said I understand that some assessments can't be started early for various reasons.

If you are intent on making summaries start early and do them right throughout the year rather then when the exam periods are approaching.

Ask questions, debate answers and even marks make sure that everything is justified after all it is your HSC and teachers are usually more then happy to justify marks.

Most of all try not to stress to much and don't let the little things worry you. Although in saying many of the tips I know a number of students will read them, think about them but probably not use them until it's to late. But we all have to learn in our own ways.

kc-ok-la

HSC
a differnt kind of advice in comparison to whats been posted and what will probably be posted,,

just chill out
school and uni isnt the end of the world
there are other ways to get into university later on if thats what u want too

overall, do ur best, but chill out dont have a cry about how hard it is to make social conversation and complain about how much stuff u " have to do " because what u have to do is completely up to you

good luck!

ice ken

HSC
kc-ok-la said:
a differnt kind of advice in comparison to whats been posted and what will probably be posted,,

just chill out
school and uni isnt the end of the world
there are other ways to get into university later on if thats what u want too

overall, do ur best, but chill out dont have a cry about how hard it is to make social conversation and complain about how much stuff u " have to do " because what u have to do is completely up to you

good luck!
chill out if u wana fail.
study very hard forget all birthday parties just study. dont get drunk and dont do drugs

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
ice ken said:
study very hard forget all birthday parties just study. dont get drunk and dont do drugs
Mmmmm, I don't know about you, but NOT getting a uai of 80+ (etc) is definately NOT a fail.
Of course we need to study hard in the HSC period, but remember: the HSC, university courses, UAI's of 96.45 etc... They're not the stuff that we should completely concentrate on, eventhough it may have a high priority. Doing the HSC in a self-less way is the way to go. eg: sharing past papers, helping out people who need help by sacrificing your own time etc.
Chilling out would be a way to relieve some of the stress and pressure that you've built throughout the year, just think of it as a "treat" for all your hard work, but don't over treat yourself :)

emily2005

HSC
N/A
PLEASE START YOUR SUMMARIES ASAP trust me if i had done that it would of saved me so much TIME when it came time for trials

also go the few 18th's, my parents havent allowed me to go out this whole year and i reckon if they would have i would have done so much better as it would of been a reward for studying and would have motivated me more to study, if you get what i mean. HAve a bit of a life turst me ur goign to study on a sat night at 10.

This is proberly the best advise i can give is the reason i did so well in trials, get tutors that are students eg for legal studies get a 1st year law student etc. Trust me ppples they will help you so much more and you will learn so much more from them then a teacher. Oh and get a english tutor from the very start of year 12 to help keep improving those 5 essays for trials.

Harras your teacher and keep giving her work to mark, your peers may think ur a nerd but in the end theyll be crying. eg in past paper answers

I say dont focus to much on the hw they give you and more on writing notes and doing past papers except for maths of course

and most of all DONT STRESS byt the time trials cum everything will fit into place

good luck:)

ice ken

HSC
yoakim said:
Mmmmm, I don't know about you, but NOT getting a uai of 80+ (etc) is definately NOT a fail.
Of course we need to study hard in the HSC period, but remember: the HSC, university courses, UAI's of 96.45 etc... They're not the stuff that we should completely concentrate on, eventhough it may have a high priority. Doing the HSC in a self-less way is the way to go. eg: sharing past papers, helping out people who need help by sacrificing your own time etc.
Chilling out would be a way to relieve some of the stress and pressure that you've built throughout the year, just think of it as a "treat" for all your hard work, but don't over treat yourself :)
uai <95 is fail for me i need 95+

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
if you do major works finish it at least 2 days before its due

i made that mistake where i would work into the wee hours of dawn .. twice :eek:

alttahir

HSC
dropping a subject in YR 12

um currently in yr 12 and have the fallowing subjects on my plate...:

chemistry
biology
Physics (but i do it through correspondence not at school)
Advanced english
modern history
3Unit math\extention 1 math

its almost the end of yr 11 and its time to make decisions as to what i alter from that list.... i'm thinking of picking up 4 unit math or extention two math but that would mean doing 14 units! or i could drop i of my subjects... but the only ones worth considering are biology because although my average mark is like a 92 it gets desacled or maybe physics because last assesment i got an 87.5 and i don't have a teacher because its not provided at school so i have to do it through distance education and it can go really well at time and not so well at others with no teacher to help and no one to carry out a structured set of experiments (but i love the subject) or maybe modern history because although i do extremely well in it it sticks out from all my subjects like a sore thumb- but i love the subject -so i don't know.... since i'm aiming for a UAI of 95+ for medicine i really need to make the right decision... i'm not terrably good with memorising but i get by, so that why bio anf modern are there but than again wat if i really need a teacher in Yr 12 for physics-
can anyone offer any advice as to wat i should do... QUICK!!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Re: dropping a subject in YR 12

alttahir, your probably best to start a new thread or ask a mod to move this into a new thread instead of high-jacking as you will get more responses and help relevant to you.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
My advice: work consistently throughout the year and revise what you have learnt as often as you can. Try to avoid cramming if possible unless you have your reasons to cram. Set realistic goals and work towards them. Think positive and don't doubt your potential.

Good luck. ;)

Last edited:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
This is what I can think of at the moment- I hope it helps!

Make small, regular goals that will keep you focused and motivated on work- be specific so that every week you feel you have accomplished something, and you're that one step closer.

Pace yourself- the first 2 terms are full of assessment tasks. Start early and keep your head up about weeks that will be full of due dates. In the more quiet weeks, use them for study/work etc. because you'll need them!

Have things to look forward to, both in the near and distant future- organise to do things on the weekend, make plans for schoolies and uni etc. so you realise that the HSC isn't the be all, end all, and there's a reason for the work- having more choices for uni etc.

If things start to get tough, SPEAK UP! don't suffer quietly! Talk to your friends, parents, and there are always individuals at your school that will help you- teachers, year coordinators, careers advisors, counsellors. Thie year is about YOU, and you need to do everything you can to help yourself.

Keep healthy- people always say this and often people don't understand why it's included in year 12 tips, other than because it's common sense. It's because the healthier you are, the better you are able to study and balance your life, and the happier you will be. Sleep 7-8 hours a night, get exercise (really helps burn off stress), get out in the sun- seriously, it's great to study but you really need to take breaks so that you don't feel like an anaemic hermit.

Don't compare yourself to other students- it makes people unecessarily competitive, and often makes you just doubt yourself. Everyone works differently, so just make sure you're doing what you have to do to do well.

Communicate with your teachers well and often- check in with your teachers every 2 weeks or so, show them your summaries. If you show them you care about your work, they will be more willing to help you do your best.

L

littlewing69

yoakim said:
Maybe it is fine for what you want to do, but just remember that we are all trying to achieve different things. Of course, there is no fail/pass divide for people trying to get into uni--the crucial point is how much they need for their chosen course. For me, that requirement is 97+. It's not a vanity thing, and I hate having to work so hard, but that's what I've got to do to achieve what I want. It's not that under 97 is a fail, it's just that I have my own goals in the HSC, just as you have yours.

Advice: Figure out what you want to do with your education, and adjust your workload accordingly. If you want to do a BA, you don't need 99, and there's no need to spend 2007 in a book. If you do need 99, then go hard :)

HSC
ice ken said:
So in otherwords, no social life?

Always

HSC
Don't binge on junk food and stop exercising like everyone else, or else you'll get fat like everyone else.

In terms of assessments, unless your school uses student numbers, suck up to the teachers. They're biased and that's the truth.

Don't completely abandon your social life. There's no harm in going out once a week at least. No human being can spend every waking moment studying, it's just not natural.

It's your last year, enjoy yourself. :)

vorahk

HSC
mad thread, thanks for the tips *bows

overstudying can get you a blank brain, your brain would be overworked. this happened to my brother, he does law/commerce at unsw. he didnt leave the house for like weeks to study and he sounding like he was going to cry sometimes, man he looked dreadful. id say you need some entertainment, to let your brain rest a bit.

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
study hard when you need to, but like every other poster on this goddamn site says, relax.

work hard, play hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)