1/2 yearly results [Class of 04] (1 Viewer)

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
howd u guys all go in bio?

Last edited by a moderator:

kow_dude

HSC
I haven't got my half-yearly report yet but i got a certificate for having above 90% in biology. Currently ranked 1st/24.

queenie

HSC
for those that have/havent already done their exams.. ill type a couple of questions from my paper that dnt need diagrams/pics etc...

1) Darwin revoluntioned evolutionary thinking when he:
a) proposed his theory of natural selection
b) proposed his theory of evolution
..and i cant remember the other options (and i cant find my exam paper)

2. identify two similarities in the processes responsible for the movement of materals in phloem tisue and in mammilian blood vessels.

3. Outline the body's response to increased carbon dioxide concentration in the blood as an example of maintaing the balance in blood composition concentrations.

4. Mendel observed the inheritance of 7 characteristcis in his experiements with peas.
a) peas have chromosome number of 2N=14. It could be assumed that each of these allels was carried on a separate chromosomes to the others. Why?
b) If some allels were linked on one chromosome would it have made any difference to medel's results/conclusions? Explain.

well....?

any of u guys that have finisihed ur exams got any other q's?

untamedanimal

I got 73% - 1st / about 35

Pretty Hard test- im normally about high 80s to low 90s

Heres a few questions of random difficulty.

9. Forty Percent (40%) of the number of bases in the DNA of a certain organism is guanin (G). What percentage of bases would be Cytosine (C) [1 mark]

16. An amount of blood equal to the total volume of blood in the human body passes through the kidneys once every 40 minutes. Explain why such a large volume of blood passes through the kidneys every 40 minutes [1 mark]

19. (a) Describe how the structure of the xylem is related to its function [3 marks]
(b) Account for the fact that there are many mitochondria in the phloem [3 marks]

23.Clarify using diagrams the process of protein sythesis [7 marks]

25. (a) Outlining research methodologies biologists use on scientific field trip such as you're recent biological field trip to Longreef. You may use this or other field trips as an example [3 marks]
(b) Justify any one part of the methodology employed [2 marks]
(c) Explain the improvements that could be made to the methodologies undertaken [3 marks]

28. Describe using punnet squares Thomas Morgan's work with fruit flies which resulted in him being awarded the Nobel Prize [8 marks]

These were generally the easier questions. The harder ones had diagrams with them

queenie

HSC
Originally posted by untamedanimal
(b) Account for the fact that there are many mitochondria in the phloem [3 marks]
that jus cause its living?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
No its cos the companion cells need energy to carry out active transport.

untamedanimal

Originally posted by Calculon
No its cos the companion cells need energy to carry out active transport.
Yep thats what they were looking for.

So did that test seem hard or easy considering those questions were the easy ones?

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Heres an ambiguous question from mine:

The term osmosis can best be summed up as:
A) The movement of a substance from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration
B) The movement of water from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration
C) The movement of water from areas of low concentration to areas of high concentration
D) The movement of a substance from areas of low concentration to areas of high concentration

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Heres an ambiguous question from mine:

The term osmosis can best be summed up as:
A) The movement of a substance from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration
B) The movement of water from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration
C) The movement of water from areas of low concentration to areas of high concentration
D) The movement of a substance from areas of low concentration to areas of high concentration
prolly B. but the concentration of what?

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
prolly B. but the concentration of what?
B is right, but I said C. The question is very ambiguous as concentration usually refers to the solute.

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by untamedanimal
So shouldnt they really both be right then
Not according to the science cooridinator who also only gave me 1/3 marks for a compare question which said draw a table just because my table wasn't ruled of at the bottom when all the information was there.

queenie

HSC
Not according to the science cooridinator who also only gave me 1/3 marks for a compare question which said draw a table just because my table wasn't ruled of at the bottom when all the information was there.

crap, that happened 2 me 2! i lost like 2 marks cause my table didnt have horizontal lines separating the bits of information in the table

untamedanimal

Originally posted by queenie
crap, that happened 2 me 2! i lost like 2 marks cause my table didnt have horizontal lines separating the bits of information in the table
I can understand that, but for having no line at the end of the table? Is it just me or are all science coordinators a bit weird. Thankfully mine left at the beginning of the term to work at the BOS

If you want to know the definition of laziness, he is it. He introduced a style of doing bio and junoir science where he gives us the syllabus, and we answer all the dot points on our own, and he sits at the front of the class staring. He hasnt taught in about 4 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)