1/2 yearly results everybody! (1 Viewer)

derrida

Old Hack
HSC
I got 82% and came 2nd out of 8... the next mark after me was 48%. One of the guys that usually aces everything got in the 40% range aswell. WEIRD exam.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
80% (2/30). Grr... I'm no longer outright first for physics

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
72% :( Average was 54%. Came 10/52 for the exam.

04er owned me :p

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
68.3% and 12/45
let us never speak of this again

nike33

not as good as i hoped..lost 2 marks projectile motion qn for "not doing it the physics way" when i derived it from first priciples and got the answer. lost another 3 marks on 3 consecutive questions for not have a conclusion even thou i had all the points...ahh i spose its helping me for the trials/ hsc

cko

HSC
69% avg was 67% shit mark but at least i beat tha avg!!!

5c

HSC
75%
avg around 67ish%
prollie came 40th out of 80.. damn

zeropoint

HSC
Originally posted by nike33
not as good as i hoped..lost 2 marks projectile motion qn for "not doing it the physics way" when i derived it from first priciples and got the answer. lost another 3 marks on 3 consecutive questions for not have a conclusion even thou i had all the points...ahh i spose its helping me for the trials/ hsc
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm sick to death of this fallacious notion that their is a ``physics way'' or ``maths way'' of approaching projectile problems. They are the same damn equations, just different nomenclature.
y'' = a_y
y' = a_y t + c_1
when t = 0, y' = u_y
u_y = c_1
let y' = v_y
therefore
v_y = u_y + a_y t
y = Int v_y dt
y = u_y t + 1/2 a_y t^2 + c_2
when t=0, y = y_0
y_0 = c_2
therefore
y = y_0 + u_y t + 1/2 a_y t^2
y - y_0 = u_y t + 1/2 a_y t^2
The final y value minus the initial y value is equal to the change in y, therefore
Delta y = u_y t + 1/2 a_y t^2
Now eliminate t from Delta y by rearranging v_y for t
v_y = u_y + a_y t
t = (v_y - u_y)/a_y
Delta y = u_y t + 1/2 a_y t^2
Delta y = u_y[(v_y - u_y)/a_y] + 1/2 a_y [(v_y - u_y)/a_y]^2
Delta y = (u_y v_y - (u_y)^2)/a_y + 1/2 a_y [((v_y)^2 - 2v_y u_y + (u_y)^2)/(a_y)^2]
a_y Delta y = u_y v_y - (u_y)^2 + 1/2 [(v_y)^2 - 2v_y u_y + (u_y)^2]
2a_y Delta y = 2u_y v_y - 2(u_y)^2 + (v_y)^2 - 2v_y u_y + (u_y)^2
2a_y Delta y = (v_y)^2 -(u_y)^2
therefore
v_y^2 = u_y^2 + 2a_y Delta y

As you can see, the so called ``physics equations'' are derived in exactly the same manner as ``maths equations'', indeed they are exactly the same equations! I suggest that you complain to your teacher as you should not lose marks for showing the derivations, although I cannot imagine why anyone ``would'' show the derivations in physics unless they had decided to rote learn a bunch of integrals without understanding the physics behind them.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
By your logic, maths students should be able to complain if they do the question the way they are supposed to do it in physics. If the syllabus specifically says the equations you are to use and how to use them, just do it that way. Its simple

Originally posted by acmilan1987
By your logic, maths students should be able to complain if they do the question the way they are supposed to do it in physics. If the syllabus specifically says the equations you are to use and how to use them, just do it that way. Its simple
Except in maths you're not allowed to assume the formulas, but must derive them, whereas in physics you are.

This is just a pussy way of making physics more accessable for the average student, take all the REAL maths out of the course!:(

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Thats what i mean, if a physics student uses calculus to do it and they have a right to complain, then a maths student should be able to complain if they assume the formulas. In other words, just follow what you are supposed to do and dont mix subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)