10 units... is it too risky? (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Not true. The exception to the rule is that in Year 12 you may take Senior Science in the place of another science course you studied during Preliminary year, e.g.

• Student A studied the following subject in Year 11: English Standard, Mathematics Advanced, Mathematics Extension, Biology, Chemistry, Agriculture, Community and Family Studies.
  • In Year 12, for their NSW HSC the student decides that he is bored of Biology and wishes to drop it. However, he also wishes to drop CAFS. Dropping both subjects would mean he has insufficient units, as he does not wish to take up Maths Extension 2.
  • Therefore the student transfers to Senior Science and studies: Eng Std, Math Adv, Math Ext 1, Chem, Snr Sci and Ag = 11 units.
;)
There you go. Ecco!
Again not true.
You may take senior science with the science subject you took in the preliminary year. The only requirement is that you must have sat a science course in the preliminary year. I know my friend dropped Software Design and Development and took up Senior Science.

Schoey93

HSC
Again not true.
You may take senior science with the science subject you took in the preliminary year. The only requirement is that you must have sat a science course in the preliminary year. I know my friend dropped Software Design and Development and took up Senior Science.
Derivative, you obviously did not even read my post. Note that Student A takes both Chemistry and Senior Science into the HSC year, dropping only Biology and CAFS. So my example is a case of what you have stated. Please read things more carefully - it will help with English! :)

Zedez

HSC
Derivative, you obviously did not even read my post. Note that Student A takes both Chemistry and Senior Science into the HSC year, dropping only Biology and CAFS. So my example is a case of what you have stated. Please read things more carefully - it will help with English! :)
I think what he means is, you don't have to drop a science to take up SSci. e.g. if you studied Phyics for Prelim, you can still study it for HSC and take up SSci as well. But I think that's what you meant in the first post.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
Drop, I say.

That way you can use those extra periods to focus on your best (and only) 10 units.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
10 units is ideal... you can focus all your time... and the arguement about stuffing one up... with all that extra time, if you stuffed one up then you sir are stupid. ^_^ (hehe, only joking). The extra time would ensure better marks.

McBean88

HSC
i know what u mean about 10U being risky cause im doing the same thing. i dropped early on in the year (senior science too x] ) but as the year went on, lots of people started to drop to 10Us and are getting really good marks. but i think the problem is when to drop. i know lots of ppl say dat if u want to drop u should drop early, well i kinda disagree (from experience). dropping early when you don't really need the extra time is bad choice. you leave urself with too much free time on ur hands and u start to get lazy, unless u've got the will power to do extra work which despite the many times i told myself to do, i never did =[. having extra units also forces u to manage ur time properly. i guess its really up to u. but i highly recommend keeping it until at least u get to ur first set of exams- 2nd term is hectic. goodluck!
=]

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
10 units is ideal... you can focus all your time... and the arguement about stuffing one up... with all that extra time, if you stuffed one up then you sir are stupid. ^_^ (hehe, only joking). The extra time would ensure better marks.
very true :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)