2U Chem

These are my current subjects and ranks from half-yearlies:
3U Maths: 2nd
3U English: 15thish (I think?)
2U Ancient: 1st
2U Latin: 10th
2U Chem: 1st
2U Academic Extension (non-BOSTES): 1st

Is it even possible to do this/which should I drop/which subjects should I be scared of in terms of workload?
I'm aiming 99.95 but not really sure what's the best way to get it, or even if its realistic. Also, I really enjoy every one of these (except english, bloody hell :()
My current plan is to try all the extensions out for a term or so and go from there.
Thanks would really appreciate your thoughts, especially anybody who's done these subjects before. :)

Cheesecake101

HSC
Should I do 15 Units?

Ok so I'm new here so hi y'all.
This is my subject selection for Yr 12 (2016):

4U Maths
3U English
3U Ancient History
3U Latin
2U Chem

These are my current subjects and ranks from half-yearlies:
3U Maths: 2nd
3U English: 15thish (I think?)
2U Ancient: 1st
2U Latin: 10th
2U Chem: 1st
2U Academic Extension (non-BOSTES): 1st

Is it even possible to do this/which should I drop/which subjects should I be scared of in terms of workload?
I'm aiming 99.95 but not really sure what's the best way to get it, or even if its realistic. Also, I really enjoy every one of these (except english, bloody hell )
My current plan is to try all the extensions out for a term or so and go from there.
Thanks would really appreciate your thoughts, especially anybody who's done these subjects before.

astroman

HSC
that is waaaay to much work, you should drop down to 10 or 11 units.

Cheesecake101

HSC
If anybody could point me at the specific subjects that are too much work, I would really appreciate that.

astroman

HSC
you should know, didn't you do all except for 4u in year 11? I would say ancient history from your subjects, it also doesn't really fit in.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Re: Should I do 15 Units?

TBH, i've never actually heard of anyone doing 15 units in the HSC, but in no means do i say that to scare you. Clearly based on your ranks, i can tell that your proficient and enjoy quite a number of subjects, and based on my inference, im gonna go ahead and say that it is entirely doable for you to do 15 units. Yes, you are gonna have a considerably larger workload in relation to the rest of your cohort, but as long as your motivated and can maintain the workload then i don't see why you can't do it.
If you don't like english then i would advise that you don't pursue extension, cause you really have to like english to do it, especially if you wanna be motivated to study for it during HSC periods. Dropping down to advanced would do you well and probably give you a good rank.
I think a 99.95 atar goal (join the club lol) is feasible in your case if, as i mentioned above, you maintain the workload and study hard. Plus the scaling of 4u is incredible :haha:

Hope to see you around :)

Cheesecake101

HSC
1. Is ancient in yr 12 noticeably more content? I basically crammed the 4 days before for my last exam and did fine.
2. If anybody here has done latin ex I'd really like to know what they think of the workload.

Cheesecake101

HSC
Also, our school teaches latin really early, so it's basically been so far just a matter of memorising everything, which I'm good at. Have you done latin?

teridax

HSC
N/A
Also, our school teaches latin really early, so it's basically been so far just a matter of memorising everything, which I'm good at. Have you done latin?
ask mreditor like hawk advised lol

and tbh, i don't think memorising everything in a language will help in the long run - you're better off getting a feel for the terms and applying in different contexts - otherwise just learning a language via pure rote is just plain wrong imo

Graceuf

HSC

Wow. Your brave. I chickend out of the prospect of doing 14 units. (I did extension English for a day. It counts. [emoji14])

But if you think you can handle it, go for it. But remember only your best 10 units (including 2U English) count towards your ATAR so you don't want to burn out and get average marks in all your subjects which will be great overall with the amount of work you have but it mdyw bring down your ATAR.

That made no sense. Did it.

austinbaric

HSC

I would recommend trying it and then reassessing after each term if you are keeping up with all the work. Although I can guarantee you that 15 units is not sustainable into year 12! So by the time year 11 finishes, if for some reason you have still kept your 15, work out the units you're worst at and drop them. Hope that helps :)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Should I do 15 Units?

No. I don't ever recommend 15U.

You only have 10 that count at the end of the HSC.

Now here is some General Maths 15 - 10 = 5

You have wasted 5 units of effort.
I could barely care how good someone is, but I feel like it's such a waste of time. You do all these exams, that might have similar marks come out, and what for, really?

Sure you can fulfil different areas of passion, but high school doesn't fulfil it that much in comparison to university and real life

You have three popular AND REASONABLE options:
1. 10 units - perfect number, all units count, you will be strong in all if they are your favourite, you put the effort in all subjects and you are good at them

2. 11 units - magic number. You have the back up 1 unit to swap out any bad unit.

3. 12 units - you have 2 units to back up. Most safe but more work than 10 or 11

Cheesecake101

HSC

school rank - 5
we have minimum 12 units
I'm thinking of just not putting effort into history, but still then getting the extension

Cheesecake101

HSC
Hey getting a feel for it might work with french or if you're a genius, but we've found that rote makes exams easy, and it's not like I'm doing Latin because I plan to use it :). Thanks, I'll talk to those people if I have any questions.

Cheesecake101

HSC

Also, in response to WrittenLoveLetters, I love all my subjects, and would only not take any of them if any present significant challenges in terms of workload that I'm not aware of.

Graceuf

HSC

school rank - 5
we have minimum 12 units
I'm thinking of just not putting effort into history, but still then getting the extension
Can schools do that? Set the minimum amount of units? I thought it was a BOSTES decision?
But even then. It's still 5 units that aren't going to count. If you have to have 12 units, great! You have 2 units as back up but I think 5 is a bit much... Unless you have super speed to get through all your studying while still having time to relax and hang out with friends (which in my opinion is a very big part of doing well).

Cheesecake101

HSC
Well you need a bloody good excuse - private school
I have a lot of extra-curricular commitments as well (debating, sport 3 times a week, band, youth parliament, and so on), but to be honest I've found this year to be a bit cruisy so far.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Year 12 is much heavier than Year 11. I can confirm that. I don't even know how I'm going to balance the rest of my 4 subjects.

Likewise, I have passion too in subjects like Legal Studies and Biology, but I'm doing 9 units in Year 11 with 2 already being done.

Like I said, having a passion is great, but you have university and real life to experience it.

You taking all those subjects will highly possibly affect your other subjects and whilst you can drop, you will always have the marks that have been affected.

My accelerated course affects my Year 11 subjects. And I'm a fairly organised person.

Even the smartest person I have ever met, is keeping to the minimum of 10.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)