1st year economics junior units (1 Viewer)

ACKAA

HSC
Hey,

I really want to do an economics major, but I am not very strong at maths (having not done maths in yr 12).

I was just wondering if anyone can let me know or if possible email me some coursework of these four prerequisite economics units (ECON1001, ECON1002, ECMT1010 and ECMT1020) so I can get an idea of the level of maths involved in an economics major ...

Thank you very much :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
ECON1001 and ECON1002 would probably only have 2u maths as assumed knowledge and even then, it's fairly basic stuff.

ACKAA

HSC
Thanks osko. Anyone else got any input of the MATHS or could provide some sample coursework? Thank you

neontiger

HSC
1st year economics all you need to know Maths-wise is basic differential calculus. Econometrics is a bit trickier but most of it is statistics-based stuff that isn't taught in HSC Maths. I have friends who did 4 unit for the HSC and hadn't covered a lot of the material in ECMT subjects.

I'd suggest doing a bridging course (although it may be too late to enrol in one). I hear they're quite helpful. Otherwise, the USYD Business School Maths in Business site has some great resources (http://sydney.edu.au/business/learning/students/maths) and they also run free workshops. :)

I would NOT recommend an Economics major if you're not great at Maths. University economics is very different to HSC economics; it's far more maths-based. If you want to study economics in a less-mathsy and more historical-evidence-based manner, take Political Economy. It's a far better department in terms of tutors and lecturers, and much more interesting (in my opinion) than the maths-heavy version of economics that the School of Economics teaches.

ACKAA

HSC
Thanks neontiger, that was really helpful. My only concern with a Political Economy major is where can that lead me to in the future. Can I still work as a economist in places like the RBA or the Treasury or will I have to work predominately in the government sector as an economic advisor ??

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks neontiger, that was really helpful. My only concern with a Political Economy major is where can that lead me to in the future. Can I still work as a economist in places like the RBA or the Treasury or will I have to work predominately in the government sector as an economic advisor ??
You definitely need the analytical skills from an economics or maths major to have a good chance.

neontiger

HSC
You definitely need the analytical skills from an economics or maths major to have a good chance.
This.

A lot of people double major in Economics and Political Economy for this reason. Economics gives you the quantitative skills but Political Economy provides the contextual backdrop to examine how the economy actually works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)