1st yearer needing help here with timetable!! (1 Viewer)

Traveller0901

HSC
I know there are probably a million of these threads, but I honestly don't know how and what I'm suppose to do in terms in choosing subjects, even after reading the handbook. I plan on doing a double degree in commerce/ media and I have a bunch of questions which need answering

1) Should I only be doing the compulsory cores in semester 1?
2) I went onto this other unsw page with all the subjects & I'm not sure what I subjects I should pick or be doing, asides from the compulsory & flexible ones listed in the handbook?
3) Do you only pick 4 subjects or can you pick more?
4) How do I know which one is a lecture and which is a tutorial? And how many do I need??
5) Once I've sorted out my lectures & tutorials, how do I get the class times that I want?

Once again, I apologise for being one of those annoying individual that come as absolutely clueless about all this uni-jazz ...

Thanks in advance :)

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
1) Not. Depends whats offered in each semester
2) What degree are you doing? If youre looking in the handbook already is should be all explained there?
3) You can but that would be stupid especially for first semester uni. A 'full' load is 4 subjects. Trust me itll keep you busy enough
4) Huh? Each subject varies on amount of lectures and tuts
5) When you've decided what 4 or 3 subjects you want to do next use the unsw programs rectangles or octangles. type in your subjects and it will generate timetables. then when you enrol you can enrol into the classes that match the timetable you chose

zhiying

HSC
1. most likely yes, you don't have to but its a good idea to get the compulsory ones out of the way first. Usually higher courses have prerequisite for you to do the compulsory ones first
2. it's pretty flexible, just do the ones necessary for your major and start from first year courses and move your way up. Everyone probably do it differently
3. first year you cannot overload so max you can do is 4, you can underload to a minimum of 1 course though, but would not recommend unless you have special circumstances, when they say your degree is 4 years, it's pretty much 4 years at 4 courses per semester
4. When you enroll, there will be separate options for tutorial and lectures so you know which is which
5. Once you enroll in a course, for UNSW they show you all the times for a lecture and tutorial separately, just pick from the list

Traveller0901

HSC
Thankyou so much for clarifying guys!

So I've decided I want to do a double major within the commerce degree. How woud I go about choosing subjects for this?? Would it be like a major & a sub major sort of thing??!..

ifrit112

HSC
Refer to the handbook, or if in doubt just email the school office - (they are very friendly and helpful in giving advice as well as clarifying if you enrolled in the right subject(s) or not.

Also, just a tip about uni in general, you can enroll in whatever subject you want whenever you want. The only exception being that you satisfy the prerequisites of the subject you enroll in.
So you can shuffle around subjects (do a second year subject in first, do your free electives first, etc) if you wish.
Just be aware of prerequisites for future subjects. At the end of the degree, they only care that you passed the compulsory courses, completed x units of the major, and so on - not the actual order or how you went about doing this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)