2002 HSc question (1 Viewer)

Jexi

HSC
I'm talking about:

"Outline the reasons why businesses expand globally, and critically analyse the political, social/cultural and management issues that arise with a global workforce."

I get the first part- reasons for expansion. However the second part stumbles me. What do they mean by 'global workforce'?

Does the question mean like issues regarding Employment Relations when going global - such as Organisational structure (management issue), staffing, Shortage of Skilled Labour, Labour laws (political,legal) ect ect...?

Or do they mean something else?

I saw the 2002 band 5/6 response for this question and all they talked about are the political, social/cultural and management issues on the global market place. o_O For instance they talked about the influence susch as language, tastes ect ect. How does that...hmm. :S

I think bottom line is, what the hell do they mean by 'global workforce'? Workforce as in the wokrings of your human resources, or like ...I have no idea. Help.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
political, social/cultural and management issues
i think these are the inlfuences:

political: tensions between protectionism and freetrade, international treaties and organisations i.e. GATT or WTO, trade agreements e.g. NAFTA, APEC, ASEAN, EU, Reigionalism, war and civil unrest

social/cultural influences:language i.e. lingua franca, tastes, religion, varying business practices

management issues
im guessing the 4. financial, marketing, operations or ER

thats alot to talk about though
obviously u cant talk about everything

its broad so just pick what u feel comfortable talking about

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
As far as I know, influences on global business include ..

Financial/Economic - Fluctuations in currency (transactions), o/s borrowing, interest rates, international bond market, eurocurrencies
Political - Civil unrest, Protectionism, WTO, agreements, Regional Trading Bloc's
Legal - Contracts, Dispute resolution with overseas clients, Intellectual Property
Sociocultural - Language/Tastes/Religion/Customs eg: bribary, gift-giving

Managment in regards to global business includes:
Financial Management - methods of payment eg: open account, documentary collection, letter of credit, foward payment, countertrade
Managing Credit Risks - hedging etc ..
Marketing
Operations
ER - includes different int'nl organisational structures here
Staffing
Ethics - labour laws, standards etc ..

I realise most of that was said in goan_crazy's post, but to be honest I needed revision :p .. That management of a global business list is straight from the textbook, Ive found that by memorising textbook headings and their assosciated content, you cant get caught off gaurd.

Jexi

HSC
I get it now. Well they should've said like 'global market place' or something. Pfft workforce. I want to murder it. And the other choice is like o_O

"Outline the role of stakeholders in resolving industrial conflict, and critically analyse the impact of global trends in employment relations on business role and structure."

Ha I would be so dead if they served me the 2002 paper :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)