2003 Young Writers Showcase (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by picaresque
I recently recieved my copy; have any of you had a chance to read it? What do you all think of the quality of the works featured?
wtf...

i havent even got my fucken MW back yet dammit, BoS i want it

picaresque

HSC
Generally I thought critical responses were quite readable -- the unfortunate side of short stories is that there are so many variables with style that even some solidly/well executed shorts stories still managed to irritate me.

There is an obvious love of the post-modern for short stories, of integrated mediums and broad, intellectual concepts (although one of the best written in my opinion was more about writing than stuffing it full of ideas). Actually, the most worthwhile sections would probably be the reflection statements. :D

Hoplite

HSC
Some were fantastic.

But I thought some of them weren't particularly great. The thing is though, all of the MW's that I didn't think deserved to be there had brilliant reflection statements which, IMO masked some of their problems.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I just saw the videos that people made... they were pretty damn good, a little confusing but well filmed. Im so glad im not doing film or I would be even more intimidated right now. I think the reflection statements for most are damn good too

400miles

I thought "...Just Before His Head Exploded" was fantastic... I loved it... I wish I could write like that I'm so jealous.

life4_rent

lol.. u guys are funi.. =)

i loved the selection of short stories.. great inspiration for my major work.. i agree, "...Just before his head exploded" was excellent.. hilarious, but so well-written.. VERY INTIMIDATING.. hmm.. shud get on with my major work, ey? AM SO BEHIND in composing.. *kicks herself*

yeh, post-modernism seems to be the trend these days "the modern thing to do" lol..

my favourite was "rachmaninoff: piano concerto no. 3 op. 30".. i loved how the recital was described like the sea.. i half expectd the whole thign to be based "nemo-style" lol.. i noe, the language in the story isnt too "sophisticated" but since when does language hav to be sophisticated to get the point across?

"fan of succinct-ness"

-maggie xox

boxheadman

Evans River K-12 (Don’t worry, I haven’t herd of i
HSC
400miles said:
I thought "...Just Before His Head Exploded" was fantastic... I loved it... I wish I could write like that I'm so jealous.

I couldn't agree more - that was the best damn short story I have read in ages. Kind of made me want to start my major work all over again. Definitely my favourite short story out of the bunch.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
sigh, if only I could convince my parents (I wrote authors instaed of parents just then :-\ ) to let me order that.

I haven't seen any of them. :-(

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
I really dont know if it is... my teacher just gave me the four short-stories cuz thats what im doing :confused:
Heres my review :uhhuh:
Anyways, my fav was definately "Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 3 Op. 30" by Jacqueline Tsui Kiu Wu. Thought it was excellent, I really did, and it related to my work in some parts. My only prob was, a few weeks ago i was surfing the net (looking up short-story writing stuff of course LOL) and I found some site somewhere... and no, I can't remember the address... where someone had posted a story they wrote a few years ago at uni... and sounded remarkably similar to Jacqueline's. I'm not trying to suggest plagarism, or anything like that. Im' gueesing that it was just an amazing coincident! But still, it was really weird... was sooo similar to Jacquelines, except they ended up having the guy commit suicide rather than the chick... hmm..... :s

The story "Just before his head exploded..." by Claire Garrett was very... umm... different, i thought. I actually didnt like it! I admire it as a work, and I understand why it got 50/50, but I honestly couldnt make head or tail of it! (sorry Claire Garrett, if you're reading this! or your friends!) I just couldnt relate to it. I never liked "Hitch-hiker's guide to the Galaxy" and thats what it reminded me of, soo yea.

Nobody seems to have written any comment about "Sheba's memory" by Jeanavive McGregor. I liked it, I thought the imagery and emotive language was excellent. But I couldn't really absorb myself in it... I dunno, maybe it was all the history-related stuff in it (at some points i was so confused i was skipping paragraphs!) but it was good, nonetheless.

aaaand, last but not least, "Spinning Straight" by Allison Blamey... was really good! Again, it was full of history-related stuff, but this time I could understand what was going on (I think!). Was good juxtaposition of the two very different yet entwined story lines.

okaaaay, back to work for me now that i've had my two penny's worth... hehehe... :D

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
ohhh a girl from my school got into that. She did a critical response on Buffy and 2 other things...i read the Buffy bit, it was great.

Its soo funny my current ext1 teacher was her teacher and she's always going on about her!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
oh shit, a buffy crit was in there this year?

it means mine has even less of a chance i guess :|

J

jhakka

Fantasy isn't a popular enough genre to get into the showcase nowadays. Everyone likes postmodernism. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)