2005 HSC Art Major works (1 Viewer)

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
Mind you, my digital works cost a cool $300 to print off. Not so happy.
Woah! Suddenly that $10 mounting sounds so cheap. Ceramics would probably be the cheapest medium of art since schools usually provide the clay for "free"...

Insouciance

HSC
You got clay for free? We could use old stuff for free, but if we wanted to open a new brick of it, we were charged $7. No one did ceramics in my class. I think it worked out cheaper to just buy your own brick.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
I want to post up my works, but hmmmmmm how do i do this?

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
no. 2

Thanks pencilmale

This is a pic of my second work. the photo was taken a few months ago so it has changed a fair bit. But it still needs more dark bits on the man (looks flat- but i was originally intending for him to just look like part of the pattern) and stuff poking out of work----oh and all the eyes need fixing. the work is 47 by 69cms, oh and it's pastel on paper. mmm the detail in the work does get lost in the pixels but meh enjoy

Last edited:

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
@fi_babezy: That's great. I love the detailed work and it took me a few seconds to figure out that there was a man there. I thought that was a nice subtle. I really like the foot - the tendons and the toes. Is it supposed to have "empty" space at the top there?

@Flanney: Interesting! I would love to see it in its entirety. I like the textures.

nwatts

HSC
Flanney: Yeah, I'd love to see your body of work, rather than just the picture. I think it looks fantastic.

wigzell_king

HSC
rationale

oi is anyone writing a rationale or anything for their bow. i've been told i should and i know i don't need to put much in i'm just hell stumped as what to write about..
any help would be greatly appreciated

nwatts

HSC
Nope. BOS makers aren't going to read it, but it might be something worthwhile to put in your diary.

Btw, I see you're an Air fan. Very cool. :)

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
same... mine are sooo shit to everyone elses... they aresooo unfinished to me... fuck... so im sooo not posting pics.... no way

dany_starlet

HSC
I've got a bit left to finish but here's the most of it....

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA

BubbyG

HSC

Hey everyone, im only new to this thing so go easy if i stuff up lol.
I just wanted 2 find out if anybody else has do a wearable for their BOW and see what sort of stuff you did compared 2 mine, ill post sum pics soon of mine so you can see too. Thanks heaps.

HSC
yesgentlemen said:
seeing these works makes me less worried about how my work will fare.

haha

from what i've seen, this years' works have been pretty disappointing compared to last years' BOS efforts

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
last year when we were posting up pictures of our works, they were all very, very good. By the way guys make sure u keep a good diary, my work made it to the selection pool then they asked for my diary and it got turned away (i guess my diary wasn't the besT? :p)

penciltron

HSC
hey not that bright-
wat constitutes a good diary? i have a shitload of work in progress photos but most of the planning is from my original idea which was a comic sequencial graphic novel thingy,
but then i changed it to portraits, and i did barely any "prelim" sketches, as they were all spontaneous, i hate planning for stuff like that...i just did some crappy sketches after they were finished to pretend i planned it.
would that be ok or shud i do a lot of sketches and stuff? will the photos make up for it?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
arr i have no idea what a good diary is... i had 2 books almost full.. but it was mainly just sketches and random crap, very few clear explanations of what my work meant.

I had no photo's and stuff, or many other artists for 'inspiration' in my book.

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
my diary stopped being used in first term it has all my year eleven processes and then this years processes.
Being
a) the development of my idea
b) sketches and other options that i came up with along the way
c) the way i want my work displayed
no photos, no influences

Your VAPD, in theory, just has to prove that the work you are submitting is yours incase it is called for (because they don't think it is yours) or if you get into Art Express.
Don't waste your energy on making it look fantastic and presentable when in all likelyhood it won't be called for.

nwatts

HSC
A "good diary" will show your development as an artist throughout your HSC year.

It does not matter how many ideas you had, or whether those ideas were carried through to your major work. It's to show a process and development of ideas.

As lislabella mentioned, it's only ever going to be an issue if you get over 43 (or whatever the Art Express cutoff is) or if markers believe you've plagiarised. Ask your teacher whether or not she thinks you have a chance for art express. If so, put some effort into padding out your diary. Or if your work is built around appropriation i'd probably make sure it'd well doumented, just in case.

Personally, I don't think I have much of a chance, so my diary is pretty patchy. I've got it about 4/5s full of random stuff and ideas, and the rest with my idea that went through to my final pieces. I'll probably put some more stuff in the diary in spare art classes between now and the end of school, as our teacher usually likes to make an exhibition of hsc works for students, which includes diaries.

Not-That-Bright said:
last year when we were posting up pictures of our works, they were all very, very good. By the way guys make sure u keep a good diary, my work made it to the selection pool then they asked for my diary and it got turned away (i guess my diary wasn't the besT? :p)
Probably wasn't because of your diary. I know of a few people who were in the selection pool for art express but were turned away. And I know one of them had the greatest diaries i'd ever seen. About four A3 diaries FULL of brilliant works and progress.

From what various art teachers tell me, the selectors look for experimental/newish works. Mind you, i'm not sure how valid their comments have been. Considering when I went to artexpress last year I saw a lot of crap, that lacked innovation and originality.

Last edited:

penciltron

HSC
thanks for clearing that up guys.
im not too worried if it will only get called for that selection thing, as long as it doesnt interfere with my hsc mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)