2005 World Ranking for Universities [Compiled by Shanghai Jiao Tong Uni] (1 Viewer)

cloud7

HSC
N/A
http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2005/ARWU2005TOP500list.htm

56 - Australia National University (National Rank - 1)
82 - University of Melbourne (National Rank - 2)
101-151 - University of Queensland (National Rank - 3-4)
101-151 - University of Sydney (National Rank - 3-4)
153-202 - University of New South Wales (National Rank - 5-6)
153-202 - University of Western Australia (National Rank - 5-6)
203-300 - Macquarie University (National Rank - 7-9)
203-300 - Monash University (National Rank - 7-9)
203-300 - University of Adelaide (National Rank - 7-9)
301-400 - University of Newcastle
401-500 - Flinder's University of South Australia
401-500 - La Trobe University
401-500 - Murdorch University
401-500 - University of Tasmania

Ranking after 100 is arranged according to alphabetical order.

Don't really think it is that accurate though...

:rolleyes:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Uh, the Australian rankings seem pretty standard. G08 filling the top 9 positions, with MAQu bumping Adelaide out of the top 8. I think that the Shanghai rankings are always amusing though, because the top 100 are basically all American universities + Cambridge and Oxford. Also, all of these surveys that I've seen have always had Melbroune and ANU on top.

These surveys are pointless though. OMG I HAVE A LARGER UNI-PENIS THAN YOU!

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Maqu needs some image. Sorry to say but the campus is um...not pretty. It resembles a High School built in the 50s.

As much as it really isn't important to academics nice presentation can help prestige and enrollments.

Think of all the enrollments usyd get each year because people are wowed by the sandstone. OR unsw with its manicured everything. etc etc

Generator

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
The most accurate ones are the ones produced by the Australian Government.

Keep in mind that that was nothing more than a scheme to assess teaching capabilities prior to the distribution of additional funds, santa, and that the scheme wasn't/isn't above criticism.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Generator said:
Keep in mind that that was nothing more than a scheme to assess teaching capabilities prior to the distribution of additional funds, santa, and that the scheme wasn't/isn't above criticism.
I dont think he will keep that in mind ;)

santaslayer

HSC
Generator said:
I think erawamai has got it right. :p

Anyway, I'm assuming that this is yet another Higher Research/PhD/whateva focused finding. As undergraduates, I think the more important thing is to understand that aspects such as teaching quality, graduate outcomes and graduate satisfaction levels are more significant.

Others who plan to do degrees that go beyond the undergraduate level may like to take these things more seriously.

nwatts

HSC
Considering UOW was at the top of the Australian-complied poll, and it doesn't even rate in this one done by crazy asians, i'm skeptical as to its validity.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
actually its the individual rather than the institute... and its worrying cos the Aust Govt one... is self reported by students... mabbe UoW has more egomaniacs per capita lolz

and in med its all self teaching so .. im screwed.. i know teaching quality is poor... cos im teachin it and medical/science lecturers are funny cos when i ask them questions.. their answers arent correct or they try to cover up mistakes.. =P

Tabris

HSC
In the ECONOMIST magazine, this list was a source for their major story, jsut flick through to its research story and u can see the tope lists. I think if a prestigous magazine such as the economist uses, it must at least have some validity or credit, i think theres a page where it shows u the methodolgy

Tabris

HSC
santaslayer said:
The most accurate ones are the ones produced by the Australian Government.

I think what Santa is trying to say is that we all look at the Australian one where UOW came 1st and he wants it to rub it in!! :p

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
No ranking or 'league' table is ever going to be accurate. Such attempts at ranking institutions are excursions in futility. This broad criticism applies whether the ranking is produced by the Government or the private sector.

Let me explain my reasons:

A. Lack of General Moderator Device

Unlike schools, there is no common objective moderating device against which all graduates, across all discplines and in all degrees and at all institutions can be measured. This point is particularly underlined when international comparisons are attempted.

B. Methodology

The methodology used is always going to be biased in terms of what the particular researchers think most important: e.g. student-teacher ratio, PhD numbers among academic staff, number of journals published, student satisfaction, graduate starting salaries, government research grants etc.

As a result of this focus, the ranking is really only good (if good at all it be) for providing data on that particular aspect(s) of the institutions and that aspect(s) alone. That is, a ranking that is biased in that it allocates a greater weighting to, say, student-teacher ratio can, at most, only provide guidance on that point, not on the quality of the institution as a whole. (Such qualitative judgement is subjectively extrapolated from that data.)

Often, such 'surveys' producing these rankings are completed by a small sample of students, graduates or (as the Times one earlier this year was) academics actually in the universities. As such, the survey exposes itself to being unduly influenced by the fickleness of human subjectivity.

C. Application of 'Results' to Universities as a whole

I said above that there is no moderator to assess the outcomes of students. The same can be said even of students within the same university. There is no possible analytical comparison that can be drawn, objectively, between students studying in completley different degree programmes. For example, no person can say that the outcomes of a particular university for a vet science student, med student, arts student, commerce student will be the same, or even similiar.

Each of those students will have differing workloads, experience different staff ratios, different levels of industry exposure, quantitatively and qualitatively different resources and engage in campus life to differeing extents. To try to apply a general label is self-evidently ridiculous. Yet this is precisely what general league tables attempt to do.

The league table mentality is absurd. No definitive ranking of universities generally can ever be produced because, quite simply, the methodological barriers are too high. Ranking A might place Uni X at the top based on student satisfaction. Ranking B might place Uni Y at the top based on international recognition. Ranking C might place Uni Z at the top based on staff-student ratios. Who says any of those things constitute the right criterion by which universities should be ranked? No one can say with any generally applicable certainty.

Furthermore, who can say that the fact that Ranking A places Uni X at the top for criterion F generally, is any indication of the experience of criterion F in degree Q specifically? Again, no one can. The methodological and interpretive hurdles are too numerous and too high for effective league tables to ever be devised.

Let's all try to think a bit more rationally and dispose of this ranking nonsense once and for all. :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
this is one of the worst rankings systems. only 10% of the total mark is attributed to teaching standard. I would think that this is the most important?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah but unis are mainly sites of research and knowledge.. teachin should remain the domain of school
work hard till ure good enough to correct ure lecturers :)..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yeah but unis are mainly sites of research and knowledge.. teachin should remain the domain of school
work hard till ure good enough to correct ure lecturers :)..
speaking of which, I can't wait till one of my tutors from last sem gets his phD that he's working for. I want to punch him in his ovaries. I'm specifically not doing another subject he's teaching until he stops tutoring.
He knows shit about marketing. Just the basics. He didn't even get a masters in marketing, but in accounting. Now he's doing a phd in marketing because he has a good idea. And he does, i'll give him that.
Worst of all, he wasn't creative at all. And dull. Now he's tutoring an advertising based UOS. It's ridiculous.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
stazi said:
speaking of which, I can't wait till one of my tutors from last sem gets his phD that he's working for. I want to punch him in his ovaries. I'm specifically not doing another subject he's teaching until he stops tutoring.
He knows shit about marketing. Just the basics. He didn't even get a masters in marketing, but in accounting. Now he's doing a phd in marketing because he has a good idea. And he does, i'll give him that.
Worst of all, he wasn't creative at all. And dull. Now he's tutoring an advertising based UOS. It's ridiculous.
dun worri.. i feel tat way about mine too..cept mines prolly passed his ovaries use-by date... mines worse... acts lik hes still uptodate.. till we give up correcting him..
i saw him in the lift.. and was goin to sock him... but thought that might kill him =)

its worse when they think they are right.. and are wrong..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)