2007 NRL Thread (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Another Warney in the making..

Blames it on someone else.. 'someone stuffed it into my pocket' .. yeah mate..

Then his club doctors comes out and says out he has known ' for five years to use recreational drugs'... and for five years the NRL has allowed him to play..

Gee.. are these drugs really illicit then? Or is it only illicit if you are not famous, rich and powerful?

Is the solution to depression = drugs? Whats this depression BS anyway? Is it some excuse?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Haha! Yeah Newcastle! Woot! Got to wait to see what happens between the Panthers and Warriors :eek: Souths in their first finals appearance for a long time!

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
HotShot said:
Another Warney in the making..

Blames it on someone else.. 'someone stuffed it into my pocket' .. yeah mate..

Then his club doctors comes out and says out he has known ' for five years to use recreational drugs'... and for five years the NRL has allowed him to play..

Gee.. are these drugs really illicit then? Or is it only illicit if you are not famous, rich and powerful?

Is the solution to depression = drugs? Whats this depression BS anyway? Is it some excuse?
no offence champ, but if you're going to make a claim, make sure of your facts before you put your fingers to the keys. you are making yourself sound like an absolutely freaken moron.

the nrl allowed him to play WITHOUT knowing he was taking drugs. johns managed to get past all the drug tests while he was playing. don't make assumptions that the nrl is always on his side. do you think something as big as this could be kept away from the media for 12 years?

go and find out what depression is before you say another thing. it is a medical condition, which some drugs can help. but the fact that johns has taken it over the line is inexcusable. during the period when he had a broken jaw and knee and missed 2 seasons in a row and watch your team collecting the spoon, who wouldn't be depressed?

do you believe anything you want to believe, and all else is a whole heap of lie to you? yea, good luck with life...

HSC
wuddie said:
no offence champ, but if you're going to make a claim, make sure of your facts before you put your fingers to the keys. you are making yourself sound like an absolutely freaken moron.

the nrl allowed him to play WITHOUT knowing he was taking drugs. johns managed to get past all the drug tests while he was playing. don't make assumptions that the nrl is always on his side. do you think something as big as this could be kept away from the media for 12 years?

go and find out what depression is before you say another thing. it is a medical condition, which some drugs can help. but the fact that johns has taken it over the line is inexcusable. during the period when he had a broken jaw and knee and missed 2 seasons in a row and watch your team collecting the spoon, who wouldn't be depressed?

do you believe anything you want to believe, and all else is a whole heap of lie to you? yea, good luck with life...
I think that it's bullshit that the NRL "didn't know" he was taking drugs. I feel as though the NRL has swept it under the rug, because of his high profile. I also feel that the NRL was/is on his side.

Being depressed and suffering from depression are different things. And suffering from depression does not tend to lead to taking drugs anyway.

Something which I think we can all agree on, is drugs are bad.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
I think that it's bullshit that the NRL "didn't know" he was taking drugs. I feel as though the NRL has swept it under the rug, because of his high profile. I also feel that the NRL was/is on his side.
How would they have known? He is likely to have been a casual user.

Being depressed and suffering from depression are different things. And suffering from depression does not tend to lead to taking drugs anyway.
Where are you getting that information from? Depression doesn't lead to drug use? There is a correlation between depression and drug use

Something which I think we can all agree on, is drugs are bad.
Overgeneralisation. I don't agree that drugs are bad in all circumstances.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
well, its the nrl's words against yours and other conspirators'. i am going to leave it at that, because there's no point arguing.

try and tell all the emos depression doesn't lead to drugs. not all drugs are bad you idiot, panadol is a drug, you've never taken it? recreational drugs are bad, get it right. whether or not he was suffering from depression is not the argument, he admitted he has taken recreational drugs, therefore the whole debate.

again, i'll come back to my point, if he had never said anything about taking drugs whilst he was playing, would all these change? think about it, why would he want to bring all these on himself? if it wasn't the fact that he is an honest man with the courage to admit he is wrong, a quality which a lot of other players never possessed.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wuddie said:
try and tell all the emos depression doesn't lead to drugs.
You're saying all emos are depressed and take drugs?

not all drugs are bad you idiot, panadol is a drug, you've never taken it? recreational drugs are bad, get it right. whether or not he was suffering from depression is not the argument, he admitted he has taken recreational drugs, therefore the whole debate.
Obviously she wasn't referring to caffeine and panadol. Ever heard of something called context?
"my friend takes heroin and died"
"yeah drugs are bad"
"OMG!!! You idiot! Panadol is a drug! Panadol is not bad!!!1111"

Furthermore, recreational drugs aren't all 'bad'. You need to define what 'bad' is. To me, something which is very enjoyable, the intake of which can be controlled, and with minimised long-term effects is not bad.

again, i'll come back to my point, if he had never said anything about taking drugs whilst he was playing, would all these change? think about it, why would he want to bring all these on himself? if it wasn't the fact that he is an honest man with the courage to admit he is wrong, a quality which a lot of other players never possessed.
...ummm don't you think that he is admitting he was wrong because he was caught red-handed. It's not like he issued a press conference to say he should not have been taking drugs before he was arrested.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
ahh no. because he didn't have to say anything about his past. he could have lied, like so many other people would have.

and which recreational drug have you taken, which is not harmful and can be controlled, and recommended by the doctors that you can take it once in a while? have you read the drugs package the govt sent you? or you just think you know it all?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wuddie said:
ahh no. because he didn't have to say anything about his past. he could have lied, like so many other people would have.

and which recreational drug have you taken, which is not harmful and can be controlled, and recommended by the doctors that you can take it once in a while? have you read the drugs package the govt sent you? or you just think you know it all?
yes, he lied about it until he was arrested, which is when he had to stop lying about it.

Are you trolling about the drug package? Of course the government will try and misinform people about drugs - they want to stop drug usage (one of the reasons being because it drives a black market economy, on which no tax revenue is made).

Instead of reading a biased source I have educated myself with numerous sources.

All drugs are harmful - even Panadol has side effects. Doctors also recommend harmful drugs (e.g. Valium which is addictive and causes numerous health problems).

In terms of recreational drugs, where should I begin:
Alcohol - legalised. If you don't do it often and excessively, there are no serious long-term health risks. Of course, alcoholism may occur, but that is if you are an idiot, or suffer from mental problems.

Marijuana - addiction from marijuana takes something like 30% longer than alcohol, from memory. The main health risks are from long-term constant use, and they would be similar to cigarette-smoking risks. However, from doing it on the odd occasion, won't make much of a difference to your long-term health more than say, eating foods with preservatives and other chemicals or breathing in the air around us (which we all do). Overdose is also physically impossible.

Ecstasy - no one has died from an MDMA overdose, unless they did not drink water to supplement it. However, ecstasy tablets can be mixed with other drugs. Which is why one would only buy from a trusted source and not some dodgy dealer in a back alley of Kings Cross. You can also buy testing kits, and look up pill reviews online. There are short-term side-effects lasting for about 48 hours, but after that you're back to normal. The research about E 'modifying your brain forever' turned out to be government-funded, and was later confirmed to be completely falsified (they used some other substance in place of E on purpose). Ecstasy has also not been found to be physically addictive.

Ironically, MDMA used to be prescribed to housewives, and was a very popular drug for over 40 year olds to use around the home. So, there you go, doctors were saying 'take two a day'.

I could continue with many other drugs. Of course there are certain risks, but they can be minimised.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
mmm indeed, of course. what an intelligent man. thank you for your wisdom, we are all changed for the wiser. listen up people, marijuana and ecstasy are no longer bad, have a joint if you feel like it...

i, on behalf of everyone who has claimed drugs are bad, sincerely apologise.

HSC
nrl probably did know about it. they knew webcke had taken drugs and it remained hidden until he as retired.

i dont think it matters that much. they werent performance enhancing, if anything his performance would have gone down. those who think he shouldnt be an immortal are out of line.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wuddie said:
mmm indeed, of course. what an intelligent man. thank you for your wisdom, we are all changed for the wiser. listen up people, marijuana and ecstasy are no longer bad, have a joint if you feel like it...

i, on behalf of everyone who has claimed drugs are bad, sincerely apologise.
(based on your previous argument) ... ?? so in countries where marijuana is legalised, marijuana is 'good', but it's 'bad' in Australia?

I think I completely tore apart your argument and all you can respond with is a sarcastic post, which demonstrates your stupidity and lack of knowledge in this area. I also love how you only talked about marijuana and ecstasy. From this I can assume that you don't think badly about alcohol or cigarettes, which are far more addictive, and have destroyed far more families than marijuana and ecstasy combined.

If you wish to argue it further, then please back things up with some more intelligent reasoning.

so, yes, i am much wiser in this area than someone who cites the government's information packs designed for the sole purpose of preventing all illicit drug usage, as an authoritative source.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
***mike*** said:
W00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOOOO NEWCASTLE!! dont you just love them! well i do anyway. Kujah, you a fellow newcastle fan?
:uhhuh:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
stazi said:
(based on your previous argument) ... ?? so in countries where marijuana is legalised, marijuana is 'good', but it's 'bad' in Australia?

I think I completely tore apart your argument and all you can respond with is a sarcastic post, which demonstrates your stupidity and lack of knowledge in this area. I also love how you only talked about marijuana and ecstasy. From this I can assume that you don't think badly about alcohol or cigarettes, which are far more addictive, and have destroyed far more families than marijuana and ecstasy combined.

If you wish to argue it further, then please back things up with some more intelligent reasoning.

so, yes, i am much wiser in this area than someone who cites the government's information packs designed for the sole purpose of preventing all illicit drug usage, as an authoritative source.
"Recreational" drugs are having a massive impact on society. All you need to do is talk to some of the ER doctors and hospital staff of the many different kids they see regularly, because they don't know what they are playing around with.

Ecstasy and Cocaine are highlighted in the media frequently, as sports stars always seem to be caught out. All issues relevance or effectiveness aside, what reason would the government have to attempt to "educate" more people about the effects of drugs?

In my opinion, the issue here is not the nature of specific drugs, but rather how kids today don't understand what they are touching. For every person that does their research, and are responsible, there are another 5 who either take it on impulse, or base their knowledge off second/third hand sources such as friends.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
blue_chameleon said:
"Recreational" drugs are having a massive impact on society. All you need to do is talk to some of the ER doctors and hospital staff of the many different kids they see regularly, because they don't know what they are playing around with.

Ecstasy and Cocaine are highlighted in the media frequently, as sports stars always seem to be caught out. All issues relevance or effectiveness aside, what reason would the government have to attempt to "educate" more people about the effects of drugs?

In my opinion, the issue here is not the nature of specific drugs, but rather how kids today don't understand what they are touching. For every person that does their research, and are responsible, there are another 5 who either take it on impulse, or base their knowledge off second/third hand sources such as friends.
Yes, many kids don't understand what they are touching. I certainly agree with that. All too often you see kids addicted to ice because of peer pressure and other factors. The government can certainly educate people as to their effects, but relying on a source provided by them is not a good way to conclude whether recreational drugs are good/bad.

The main problem is that the government doesn't educate people as to their effects correctly. All too often, they use scare campaigns. For instance, they recently sent out a pack for parents. I would assume that it talks about how drugs can ruin lives, how to detect whether your kids are on drugs, etc. The parents are asked to talk to their children. Now, if your parents are talking to you about premarital sex, or dating boys and how you shouldn't until you're much older, would you listen? My guess is not.

Herein lies the problem.

The government needs to be more down-to-earth in their approach (as some governments have been overseas). At the moment it seems like if you smoke weed once, your friends will hate you, your parents will kick you out and terrorists will detonate a nuclear bomb inside your pants. Kids know that this is false, and thus will ignore the rest of the message (which can be positive).

Some efforts have, however, been quite successful (especially in the US): they show that it may not hurt you for now, but in the long-term smoking marijuana (for example) can lead to negative consequences.

For ecstasy, the government should emphasise harm minimisation - i.e. advocate the use of testing kits, asking people to know your drugs. This could prevent unnecessary deaths (as uncommon as they are, but a death is still a death).

So, yes, I accept that for every person who does their research, there are 5 who have not. This is stupid. This is what the government should try and prevent.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
^ ever stopped to notice that this is a nrl thread, not drugs?

PANTHERS WITH THE SPOON!!!! ahahaha gower leaves with the spoon, wonder if he needs it in france.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
wuddie said:

PANTHERS WITH THE SPOON!!!! ahahaha gower leaves with the spoon, wonder if he needs it in france.
Well, with all that has come to attention in the past week, I wouldnt think these topics are THAT unrelated. Even today, Tallis came out and said that he made a complaint against Johns 7 years ago, which leans towards a cover up, or at least, gross inaction by the code. But nonetheless, we should prob focus more on finals footy.

My predictions half way through last year about the Storm have been proven all this season. They were, that with the team they had (minus a few players like Donnelly, Webster and Friend) they would easily make the finals in 07.

The fact Melbourne have Smith, Inglis and Cronk (and possibly Folau) on long term deals, as well as other up-and-coming players, makes me think that they will be in the final 4 in the finals for the next 2 years at least.

Lets just hope they can make it count on match day. But judging from big wins over the Tigers and Bulldogs, im not sure they will make the same mistake twice.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wuddie said:

haha i love how when you can't win the argument you ignore it. you didn't have a problem with going off-topic before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)