• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008 CSSA Bio Exam Thoughts/Results (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
Re: CSSA Bio exam thoughts

As far as I can remember, that multiple choice was regarding the ostrich and the emu.
The answer is definitely convergent evolution.
They're similar looking birds, with similar functioning structures but are not closely related.
This question tries to trick you, because it talks about the continents being one,
and this usually refers to divergent evolution,
and the increasing dissimilarity between two or more populations that were initially one.
I think it's horrible that they 'try' to trick me, I could justify both ways, I think. However It did mention Gondwana, so I chose divergent evolution as: The Birds are similar because they have evolved from the same ancestor (divergent evolution as they became new species in the two environments).

And for the 7marker, vaccinations is correct. I talked about the third line of defence
which is not present at birth), described the impact vaccines had on the immune system
and talked about both types of vaccinations, both active and passive, with examples.
I think it could have been more than vaccines, it said "Medical science" and "technologies"...surely this can't limit to just vaccines. It was a significant part of it, though.

catchnkiss.x

HSC

dolbinau said:
I think it's horrible that they 'try' to trick me, I could justify both ways, I think. However It did mention Gondwana, so I chose divergent evolution as: The Birds are similar because they have evolved from the same ancestor (divergent evolution as they became new species in the two environments).
I did originally say definitely, but now you've got me thinking.
Either way, we have a 50% chance at a correct answer,
the other two options were ridiculous.

dolbinau said:
I think it could have been more than vaccines, it said "Medical science" and "technologies"...surely this can't limit to just vaccines. It was a significant part of it, though.
Also true,
however at this point in the syllabus
vaccinations are the main preventative measure of disease.

Last edited:

catchnkiss.x

HSC

kevinx2 said:
I lol'd at that "Black rabbit breeding with a white rabbit" or something MC. I see CSSA are keen advocates of inter-racial relationships :rofl:
My CSSA paper didn't have anything about rabbits?

dolbinau

HSC

It was a pedigree and I think the answer was ww. It was basically asking what was the genotype of someone with an expressed recessive trait :p

catchnkiss.x

HSC

dolbinau said:
It was a pedigree and I think the answer was ww. It was basically asking what was the genotype of someone with an expressed recessive trait :p
HAHA, I had a question like that,
but i'm pretty sure mine was on birds.
I wonder if there're different CSSA papers...

chomp

HSC

catchnkiss.x said:
Natural selection sounds right,
the thick blubbered whales would eventually be replaced by thin blubbered whales
to accommodate a change in temperature.

I'm not sure whether drawing the diagram would get you any marks
unless you labelled it?
CSSA provides marking guidelines, and that probably wouldn't have fallen within those.

And for the 7marker, vaccinations is correct. I talked about the third line of defence
(which is not present at birth), described the impact vaccines had on the immune system
and talked about both types of vaccinations, active and passive, with examples.
For protein synthesis i talked about it on cardbord which is colour coded talked about limitations and then actually drew it with codes for colour etc..
I hope its ok

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

catchnkiss.x said:
HAHA, I had a question like that,
but i'm pretty sure mine was on birds.
I wonder if there're different CSSA papers...
It was on penguins, wing tipped colours, i was happy with the long response, much simpler than expected but still i dont think i talked to deeply into vaccines as a should of.

HSC

Our one is on colour blind??? Why i seeing different questions in one day?

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

NorthRiversMatt said:
Our one is on colour blind??? Why i seeing different questions in one day?
There was a colour blind question in there as well, you may not have done the cssa paper

Azurie

HSC

How long did it take people to finish the paper? I found it kind of short.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

Azurie said:
Just finished, i wanted to redo a question but ran out of time halfway through

HSC

Azurie said:
I finished the exam in two hours, with an hour remaining .......

I rushed the last section, thinking it was nearing 11:45am, rather than 10:45am :( .... can't even read time ... Spent the next hour going over my stuff - a lot

Everyone else finished early too from what i could see. Maybe our replacement questions for some of the sections were too short ?

auxx

HSC

Well it was an alright test, except there was soo much about genetic engineering and transgenic species and stuff. The genetics section was alright, and the 7 mark question was no too bad.

To clear things up, in the multiple choice on the emu and flightless birds, it is an example of divergent evoultuion, as it stated in the question "they came from a common ancestor."

Annalisee

HSC

What a sexy exam, knocked it out in an hour and a half. However our school is slow and hasn't done the option yet (which we actually don't have an option on, miss christianity just chose the one she already had lesson plans for) so we got given a bunch of random core questions.
Only thing I had no idea about was what Carbon Dioxide is called when it's in blood...anyone?

Annalisee

HSC

auxx said:
To clear things up, in the multiple choice on the emu and flightless birds, it is an example of divergent evoultuion, as it stated in the question "they came from a common ancestor."
yes of course they have a common ancestor but it's still convergent because they evolved independently acording to simliar environments

gonutsmate

HSC

The carbon dioxide in red blood cells was as carboxyhaemoglobin.
Im really not sure about that mutliple choice one, cause my teacher taught us to use the flightless birds as an example of divergent evolution.

HSC

gonutsmate said:
The carbon dioxide in red blood cells was as carboxyhaemoglobin.
I put bicarbonate ions, could easily be wrong. But i thought carboxyhaemoglobin carried carbon monoxide =\

Edit: What's this about the security period and not discussing answers and etc.?

Daniel-08

HSC

Annalisee said:
yes of course they have a common ancestor but it's still convergent because they evolved independently acording to simliar environments
That is 100% correct. Although they did have a common ancestor, they moved to seperate parts of the globe. Because environmental pressures in the two environments were similar, the emu and ostrich developed similar features. It cannot possible be divergent evolution, because this indicates that two species have moved away from each other and evolved different characteristics, which is clearly not the case in this example.

dolbinau

HSC

kevinx2 said:
I put bicarbonate ions, could easily be wrong. But i thought carboxyhaemoglobin carried carbon monoxide =\

Edit: What's this about the security period and not discussing answers and etc.?
It was actually Carboaminohaemoglobin

That is 100% correct. Although they did have a common ancestor, they moved to seperate parts of the globe. Because environmental pressures in the two environments were similar, the emu and ostrich developed similar features. It cannot possible be divergent evolution, because this indicates that two species have moved away from each other and evolved different characteristics, which is clearly not the case in this example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution

But isn't convergent evolution species that aren't closely related? Weren't the emu and thing meant to be closely related?

I "interpreted" the question asking: Why are they similar, because they have evolved from the common ancestor (Flightless bird) but they are different still so it's divergent evolution. I don't know. You're probably right but still :p.

They weren't two different birds in the first place, they were both flightless birds that evolved differently.

Last edited:

gezzill

HSC

Daniel-08 said:
didnt it say they came from a common ancestor?
if so, then gondwana split, and formed many different landmasses. here, the birds diverged and evolved to adapt to their environment.
if they came from a common ancestor, then it cant be convergant coz they cant be related for it to be convergant.
im not sure but.. lol i'll wait and see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)