2008 Poster And Promotion (1 Viewer)

Lexii-

HSC
I'm pretty sure you get higher marks when you render your design on the computer instead of by hand and I'm incredibly bad at Photoshop/Graphic Design in itself, but I'm getting better with the more practise I do. Probably my biggest challenge for the assessment is trying to learn how to use Photoshop properly.

Micka

HSC
Hey Micka,

Thanks for replying. Well I think my post was a bit misleading, I'm actually talking about the whole project not just the poster design. So I'm trying to get together a practical workshop for HSC students to learn the best ways to approach the whole thing, poster, program, media release, director's vision, rationale etc. So would you say that the choice of graphics software is a diificult choice in itself? I guess what I'm asking is what you guys found or find the most challenging when starting out on the project? what areas did you wish you knew more about?

Robyn
Hello Again,

I think the original struggle I had was finding an image to work with. I think it's important to understand that everyone has highly different creative processes and ideas. Someone may take a month to find something suitable while another might find a concept that works within hours. Personally I have been through 4 images for my poster and in the end returned to a modified version of the 2nd!

This image is now recurrent throughout my whole project.

The Poster was most certainly the most enjoyable for me, having printed it two days ago I've been able to appreciate the entire process and see a final product that I am content with is a good experience.

The program was the next most enjoyable for me. Although I would say about 75 percent of my collective time has been allocated to this, the product certainly shows. I believe it is important to 'go along' with the style that your selected theatre company has selected.

The flier was easy as. It has a lot of the poster information on it - but basically not much work.

The press release has not been completed yet, but as I haven't read too many others I am in need of some major editing of what I have. I also found that I didn't have enough opportunity for creativity, but I suppose that it's the nature of this element.

Basically I think that the students should come up with a concept and then, documenting each step in their respective logbooks, design around their concept and express how they interacted with the play being studied.

I did all of my work in Adobe Photoshop CS3, being not overtly proficient but capable using of using it.

I will post my work on Monday 25th Afternoon, and will encourage others to do so as that's after the submission date!

Lexii- said:
I'm pretty sure you get higher marks when you render your design on the computer instead of by hand and I'm incredibly bad at Photoshop/Graphic Design in itself, but I'm getting better with the more practise I do. Probably my biggest challenge for the assessment is trying to learn how to use Photoshop properly.
Fair call, although if you do take into consideration perhaps those who have not the means of using Photoshop (or otherwise), it would be highly unfair to allocate higher marks to those who do.

Don't you think?

Rob99

HSC
N/A
yeah, well the markers work hard to assess the ideas and concepts rather than the technical sophistication of the product. How long would you say it took you to master the software?

Rob99

HSC
N/A
sorry, I meant to add Micka that you sure sound like you know what you're doing, you sound pretty confident of your outcome which is great

LIVANOS

HSC
2008 Poster And Promotion CRISIS!

hey everyone,

i am doing promotion and program for mine, and i got my pooster back from the printers last night. it looks fine, and i showed my dad, when he was looking at it he noticed like fluff or dust or something so as he went to brush it off, he scratched a part of the poster. i almost died!
:jaw:

does this effect my mark? or are they just looking at the overal concept itself, like if there is a scratch am i going to loose marks? the poster is a2 so i mean yeah its a big poster. but still i am stressing.

what do you guys reckon?
(im hoping for "relax it means nothing" lol)

Annalisee

HSC
OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD!
For the Feature Story I have nothing
NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING
doing Myth, Prop....
~Woe~

Micka

HSC
yeah, well the markers work hard to assess the ideas and concepts rather than the technical sophistication of the product. How long would you say it took you to master the software?
I would say I haven't mastered it yet. Photoshop is so massive that I doubt one would be able to keep up. Though to answer your question I've been using PS since Yr 8 ~ so about 4 years.

sorry, I meant to add Micka that you sure sound like you know what you're doing, you sound pretty confident of your outcome which is great
Haha thank you :) I look forward to showing you.

hey everyone,

i am doing promotion and program for mine, and i got my pooster back from the printers last night. it looks fine, and i showed my dad, when he was looking at it he noticed like fluff or dust or something so as he went to brush it off, he scratched a part of the poster. i almost died!

does this effect my mark? or are they just looking at the overal concept itself, like if there is a scratch am i going to loose marks? the poster is a2 so i mean yeah its a big poster. but still i am stressing.

what do you guys reckon?
(im hoping for "relax it means nothing" lol)
Don't stress. You will be fine, the markers certainly won't take a mark off but you *should* speak (or write) about your experience in your logbook. Take a photo of the scratch and stick it in or just speak about how your medium was prone to scratches and creases. (This has happened to mine as well.)

Haha was it black? ... Black scratches so easily.

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD!
For the Feature Story I have nothing
NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING
doing Myth, Prop....
~Woe~
It's ok. It does not even have to be that long. Just make sure you talk about dates / times, the cast, the director, the crew, set and anything else you want to add. Make it punchy - it's meant to make people want to go.

Hope this helps!!

P.S. Posts are getting longer, haha.

Lexii-

HSC
Micka said:
Fair call, although if you do take into consideration perhaps those who have not the means of using Photoshop (or otherwise), it would be highly unfair to allocate higher marks to those who do.

Don't you think?
Yeah, I agree that it is unfair, I'm just going off what I've been told by people in the past.

And I got my poster this afternoon and I had the same problem as LIVANOS, I scratched mine!!! And part of my program is out of alignment and I am freaking out.. should I get it reprinted?!

deemt

HSC
is the media report different apart of the program or is it a separate part ?

p.s photoshop sucks its suck its such a frustrating program -_-.... i got my poster printed and it looks like shit lol

Last edited:

Rob99

HSC
N/A
well I guess it depends on how obvious the scratch is, you could always add a note that it got damaged in transit before it was packaged up, my experience with markers is that they are human. They will be more likely to forgive a scratch than a weak concept. It seems like you have no option so you might as well relax, nothing you can do about it. I had a problem with a student doing a film once and there was a problem with the computer burning the DVD and the markers were really understanding. (actually get your dad to write and sign the note)

Micka

HSC
deemt said:
is the media report different apart of the program or is it a separate part ?
(Here is your answer - it is separate.)

(iii) Individual Project: Design (Promotion and Program)
This project may be for a real or hypothetical theatre company and will include:
• a 300-word rationale in the form of a director’s concept/vision
• a poster which is a colour rendering of at least A3 (297 x 420 mm) size but no larger
than A1(594 x 841 mm). The design may be rendered by hand or produced as a
computer design submitted as hard copy
• a flyer which includes 150 words of promotional copy
• a program which contains a profile of the theatre company, its target audience,
information about the playwright, the history of the play, the directorial approach and
any other information relevant to the production
• a 500-word media feature story about the production, such as a researched article or
interview which previews the production or an aspect of the production.

Last edited:

Annalisee

HSC
Oh my god! It's due tomorrow
I had a big stress/breakdown/cry in the shops today because the place I was getting it printed was like...umm we don't do double sided!
but then I went to office works *phew*

just doing my rationaleeee now, does it go in the back or the front of the book?

Micka

HSC
Annalisee said:
Oh my god! It's due tomorrow
I had a big stress/breakdown/cry in the shops today because the place I was getting it printed was like...umm we don't do double sided!
but then I went to office works *phew*

just doing my rationaleeee now, does it go in the back or the front of the book?
Haha that was lucky.

Rationale is the last thing to go in your log.

Good luck all!

Micka.

Micka

HSC
Woot, double post.

Show us your works!! You should speak about them as well, what was funnest, easiest and hardest and what did you enjoy most in the whole process.

Thanks

SOPHIE.

HSC
haha i refuse to be the first to post my work.
....maybe later.
im so ashamed of it.
i hated my concept, i hated my design, i hated my execution. i know i would have done so much better had i allowed myself some more time.

note to all 2009 drama design students: actually carry out your promise to do the bulk of your IP during summer holidays, rather than continue to repeat that promise months after holidays ended.

Annalisee

HSC
I'll put my poster up I guess...
Here goes
YOU ALL HAVE TO DO IT TOO!!!
It's bad quality, just a screen shot cos it wouldn't let me upload photoshop format.

Micka

HSC
The Flyer

The Program

Press Release

The Poster

Mel.Riot

HSC
Oh wow, Micka. Yours is amazing! Mine is so crap compared to yours. Now I'm paranoid!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)