2009 UMAT Official Results (No Spam) (1 Viewer)

psyche92

HSC
well, my life is pretty much ruined from these results. i've got a feeling i won't get into Newcastle. after studying for months and doing every practice paper and drill i got into the exam after an hour of travelling from 6 am, i brought in a the wrong pencil, i had a migraine, some construction guy outside was screaming "HELP" for half the exam, and they had to stop me for a few minutes while they cleaned an oilspill i hadn't realised under my table. in the end i just choked too.

Section 1: 60
Section 2: 58
Section 3: 48

Overall: 55

Percentile: 75

Looks like it's B. Communications (Journalism) at UTS for me!

ashllis92

HSC
Hey, I'm a rural student and got a UMAT of 54 = percentile of 71 (yeah crap I know But luckily I'm a rural student :) I had an interview today which I think went reasonably well so what sort of ATAR should I be aiming at? I know the average ATAR for rural med is usually about 96-97 but I'm not really sre how my UMAT stacks up...

This is for UNSW by the way

Last edited:

ashllis92

HSC
Lasy year's median for rural entry ws 96.25 but maybe that has been skewed by a couple of UMAT freaks who got 91-92, I guess I'll aim for 98 to be on the safer side

ashllis92

HSC
Wow, wish we had a careers adviser... my best estimations are from comparing SAM and Albert Einstein... My principal did it once but that was ages ago when I didn't bother trying so it came out crap!

HSC
Wow! Congratulations! I'm so happy for all of you! Good luck for the interviews!

I tried my best but only got the 60th percentile. Pretty bummed but med's not the only thing I'm interested in so it's okay. I was just wondering if I should take med off my preferences. I'm definitely not to get in anyway so VTAC would jump straight to my 2nd pref. But should I put med in just for the sake of it? What about pharmacy? Most likely won't get into that either, but still. Thanks!

And well done to all of you once again.

ashllis92

HSC
Wow! Congratulations! I'm so happy for all of you! Good luck for the interviews!

I tried my best but only got the 60th percentile. Pretty bummed but med's not the only thing I'm interested in so it's okay. I was just wondering if I should take med off my preferences. I'm definitely not to get in anyway so VTAC would jump straight to my 2nd pref. But should I put med in just for the sake of it? What about pharmacy? Most likely won't get into that either, but still. Thanks!

And well done to all of you once again.

Can I just say how lovely and refreshing your optimism is! Unless there's something else you would rather do than med, put it on your preferences... It's only one preference and it just means that your ninth preference might be different. You never know, you may just smash the ATAR and get a late round interview!

ashllis92

HSC
12.30 but i didnt end up starting until about 1pm.. the med students that came to talk with us were so nice and definitely calmed my nerves haha
Mine was about 15 mins late but then it went for 1:10!!! so it's probably my fault that yours was so late... Which med students were there when you were waiting? Was there that girl in first year with the curly hair? She was super nice!

lizajane91

HSC
nah i had a girl in 4th year from Dubbo and a 2nd year girl...both of them were really nice tho

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
depends how well you went in s1 and s2. UWS has a different weighting system and they dont give considerations to rural applicants i dont think, only greater-western syd students. maybe wooz can confirm this.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Macca91 it is highly unlikely that you will get an interview, unless you are GWS and even then it is still unlikely. Since most GWS students still had overall percentiles in the very high 80's and low 90's as a min, despite the scalling.

depends how well you went in s1 and s2. UWS has a different weighting system and they dont give considerations to rural applicants i dont think, only greater-western syd students. maybe wooz can confirm this.
Correct, also the weighting system, scalling and moderation process will remain undisclosed again. Only the Dean and one other academic at UWS knows how it works. I asked them again today to disclose more info, but they wouldn't.

UWS is a uni created to address shortages in GWS, which currently has the second largest metropolitan shortage of doctors in NSW behind the Maitland area. This is why it does not give concession to rural students and only GWS students. Who are more likely to eventually practice in the area where they reside.

Last edited:

lizajane91

HSC
Hey Wooz,
i got a percentile of 91 (overall 181)...my s2 was 100th percentile but my s1 was really bad (im talking 47 which was about 48 percentile) =(...with a predicted ATAR of 96ish can i expect not to get an interview at uws considering my crappy s1? i know GWS doesnt give much info but just from experience wat do you think?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Hey Wooz,
i got a percentile of 91 (overall 181)...my s2 was 100th percentile but my s1 was really bad (im talking 47 which was about 48 percentile) =(...with a predicted ATAR of 96ish can i expect not to get an interview at uws considering my crappy s1? i know GWS doesnt give much info but just from experience wat do you think?
I really don't know due to the annual scalling and moderation process, but i'd say even if you are GWS it's a slim chance that you'll get an interview since they normally look at section 1 and 2 as a whole and weigh section 3 down. Also alot of people have inundated with med school with UMAT results, the school has refused to give any indication of the possiblity of interviews, etc and has simply told everyone to simply wait till offers are released.

Top Secret

HSC
ok so 80 is not all that bad. but if u get 80 in UMAT the chances of having the intelligance to get 99.5 ATAR is slim
I know at least four people with 100 estimates who achieved UMAT percentiles in the 60s. I personally believe that is because the HSC is mostly a memory and practice game, while UMAT tests skills. Although UMAT results can be improved with memory and practice, they ultimately depend on the student's own capability.

Simply put: UMAT pwns the majority of potential medical students.

HSC
Can I just say how lovely and refreshing your optimism is! Unless there's something else you would rather do than med, put it on your preferences... It's only one preference and it just means that your ninth preference might be different. You never know, you may just smash the ATAR and get a late round interview!
Thanks for the reply ashllis92. How high would my ATAR need to be to get a late round interview? And when do you find out? Sorry for all the questions, I never really looked into it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)