2010 Biology HSC Q17 multiple choice (1 Viewer)

Yindi

HSC
What feature of prions distinguishes them from all other types of pathogens?

(A)Prions are not cells.

(B)Prions do not contain DNA.

(C)Prions do not contain nucleic acids.

(D)Prions cannot reproduce outside a host cell.

The Board of studies has answer C, which is correct, as a prion is a proteinaceous infectious particle, keyword being proteinaceous. A protein is composed op one or more polypeptide chains of amino acids.

I was under the impression that DNA is made of of nucleic acids, and that prions, unlike any other pathogen does not contain RNA or DNA. This would mean that B is also correct, which was my initial answers. Anyone have any further ideas?

Mirik

HSC
I think this is a case of the 'most correct'. Yes DNA isn't in prions, but equally there is no RNA therefore the 'no nucleic acid' response is the 'most correct' even though both are correct.

Mirik

HSC
Also its worth noting that option A is correct, but not a completely distinguishing factor since viruses are also non-cellular. A difficult question, easy to make a mistake in a multiple choice form!

Yindi

HSC
Yer, I think you're right, it's a shame though, because usually when the answer is required to be 'most right' the question is ambiguous. However this question isn't ambiguous at all and in fact very specific. Thank you Mirik.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)