2010 Prelim Textbooks help plz (1 Viewer)

3Lachlan2

HSC
Hey, ill probz be getting textbooks over the holidays in time for Term 2 Year 11.
English won't be necessary. :cool:
But I'm desperate for a proper modern 2u advanced maths texbook. The school has given us this crappy 20 year old copy. I've heard cambridge is good. Any others? :jedi:
Suggestions for a good Biology text would be nice, like 'In-Focus' or any others? :hat:
I don't know much about the text books for senior geography, we are using one at school but what would be good for home? :ninja:
Legal studies is pretty awesome, we've been given a CD-ROM for the updated cambridge text. Booya. :drink: However, are their any updated study guides for the new syllabus available now, or will be soon?? :confused:
We may be getting a text for Society and Culture. If u know anything besides Heinemann, feel free to comment... :rolleyes:
This is directed to anyone who has gone through the HSC or is going through, or anyone else with ideas. Thankss. :read:

mioumiou

HSC
Hey, ill probz be getting textbooks over the holidays in time for Term 2 Year 11.
English won't be necessary. :cool:
But I'm desperate for a proper modern 2u advanced maths texbook. The school has given us this crappy 20 year old copy. I've heard cambridge is good. Any others? :jedi:
Suggestions for a good Biology text would be nice, like 'In-Focus' or any others? :hat:
I don't know much about the text books for senior geography, we are using one at school but what would be good for home? :ninja:
Legal studies is pretty awesome, we've been given a CD-ROM for the updated cambridge text. Booya. :drink: However, are their any updated study guides for the new syllabus available now, or will be soon?? :confused:
We may be getting a text for Society and Culture. If u know anything besides Heinemann, feel free to comment... :rolleyes:
This is directed to anyone who has gone through the HSC or is going through, or anyone else with ideas. Thankss. :read:
For maths, Cambridge and Fitzpartick (New Senior Maths, the yellow one) they're a great combination for maths. They're great combination for Ext. 1 Maths but I thunk it's also very good for the 2 Unit course too!

For Biology, the "Dot Point" series is very good, provides questions and revisions for every dot points on the syllabus. Our school uses Heinemann as our main but I've also got Jacaranda Biology 1 and the "Dot Point" books for extra information and revision. It is also a good idea to borrow (or you can buy them) the Surfing texts. they're great for revision as well. But for textbook, I heard that Biology In Focus is the BEST!! :)

I'm not sure about other subjects though. My friends who does Legal studies uses the Cambridge one. It's look pretty good (because it's very colourful :p)

For HSC, make sure you've have at least 2 or more textbooks for the science subjects as well as maths. Some textbooks have better explanation, while others might have other useful exercises that the others might not have. I do Ext.1 maths, Chemistry, Biology, and Japanese Continuers and I make sure that I've got at least two textbooks for each. And it turns out quite well!!

Past examination papers are the MOST important part of your study routines in HSC. So make sure that you can collect as much past HSC or Trial exams from the good schools for practice. But buying some past paper books will do or if you don't want to buy them, you can always download them online for FREE! (BOS)

Sorry for the long post but I hope my advice will help :p
And good luck with your studies! :)

3Lachlan2

HSC
thanks! rly good response lol. ill take that into account. :uhhuh:

t00l

HSC
camrbridge is definitely one textbook you need. its not useless, repetitive,easy work but quite challenging as it builds up in difficulty and really makes you work

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad
cambridge is definitely one textbook you need. Its not useless, repetitive,easy work but quite challenging as it builds up in difficulty and really makes you work
+1 :p

mioumiou

HSC
camrbridge is definitely one textbook you need. its not useless, repetitive,easy work but quite challenging as it builds up in difficulty and really makes you work
But the explanation from Cambridge is OKAY. If you want a textbook with loads of challenging questions, definitely get Cambridge. but if you want some more explanation, get books like Fitzpatrick, where some questions are straight forward, and it's explanation is pretty good. :)

But it's up to you 3Lachlan2.

mioumiou

HSC
Fitzpatrick is the Bible of 2U maths.
Haha.... bible l(it makes the book sounds cuter :) )
Oh well, my maths teacher called her pink Coroneos book the PINK BIBLE. She loves pink and she think Coroneos is a great mathematician. :)

mioumiou

HSC
It's true; it's even Bible-sized. :)

I don't know that textbook, lol.
My Biology Teacher called the syllabus "The Bible". We even have to think biology all the time and "dream" biology in our dreams. And the next day, one of my friend told me that she had this nightmare of our Bio teacher yelling at her.... :lol:

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha.... bible l(it makes the book sounds cuter :) )
Oh well, my maths teacher called her pink Coroneos book the PINK BIBLE. She loves pink and she think Coroneos is a great mathematician. :)
LOL. I use that book for 2unit at school. The font hurts my eyes and the book is fat and heavy D:

3Lachlan2

HSC
any ppl know some good weblinks for more info on cambridge, fiztpatrick, and others?
thanks guyz good discussion :uhhuh:

astroe

HSC
Agreed.
And hey, I just so happen to have a copy for sale. :p

3Lachlan2

HSC
any thoughts on study textbooks on senior geography and society & culture.
i dont think there is a prelim study guide for geography? and good UPDATED texts for society and culture would be nice. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)