2010 State Election (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The NSW election is on 26 March 2011.

There are 3 state elections in 2010. (SA and TAS on March 20, and VIC on 27 November).

Some clarity on what this thread refers to would be helpful.

what happened to getting rid of fixed terms? wasn't there a petition to get rid of it?
Unsurprisingly the government ignored the issue. The Coalition have said they would look at it (along with recall elections) if elected. The problem though isn't with fixed terms. A poor performing government still isn't voluntarily going to go to an early election. The problem is with the term length (Should be fixed at 3 years, not 4.) and the lack of a recall mechanism.

In any case constitutional change on such matters requires a referendum.

Last edited:

zstar

HSC
N/A
I won't vote for the lesser of two evils.

I'll go a third party candidate.

aussie-boy

HSC
One who sees themselves above the unpaid rabble of local government but who does not have the acumen or raw political talent to succeed where it counts - in Canberra.
I reckon state gov is for ppl who want to see their views translated into practical improvements (e.g. better transport, urban design, sustainability, less homelessness etc) - the federal government is all very ideological and while important, policies take much longer to filter through the population

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)