2013 CSSA Mathematics Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Distance traveled...
Nope, area under the velocity curve is DISPLACEMENT.

Oh Fuck it actually could be because the area would always be a positive number therefor distance not displacement. If it had the integral symbol it would be definitely displacement hmmm
It is still displacement.

However, in the case where the velocity curve is always positive, the displacement is the SAME thing as distance.

fatima96

HSC
It was fine at the start, but by the end it became very difficult.
Hoping for at least 80-82% (band 6 aligned)

Did anyone find it was harder than past papers? I think 8 marks allocated to the last question (c) was too much
I definitely found it harder than other papers and LONGER. I normally finish in 1.5 hrs however this exam took the full 3.

fatima96

HSC
Guys I actually think that the multiple choice answer was distance. The question said circle the Best answer and the option was the displacement AFTER 2 seconds or the distance in the first 2 seconds. Obviously the best answer is the distance, all you need is an Absolute value of it to get the distance. Idk. It said after 2 seconds so I was hesitant.

bedpotato

HSC
No, I think it's still displacement (Idk why I put distance in the exam). The value of the shaded region would've been how much the object has been displaced during the first two seconds. So, if it was let's say 50 (well, -50), the object has been displaced 50 units during the first two seconds, so AFTER two seconds, the object's displacement is 50 units from the origin.

mac1996

HSC
No, I think it's still displacement (Idk why I put distance in the exam). The value of the shaded region would've been how much the object has been displaced during the first two seconds. So, if it was let's say 50 (well, -50), the object has been displaced 50 units during the first two seconds, so AFTER two seconds, the object's displacement is 50 units from the origin.
its distance travelled, 100% sure

ebbygoo

HSC
Further then that, it said the shaded VALUE. A value is a NUMBER. The value was negative. You can't have a negative distance. And the 'after 2 seconds' thing, makes sense for displacement, as it is a measure from the origin. Therefore, after 2 seconds, how far is it from the origin.

mac1996

HSC
no, u can have a negative distance
negative distance is the distance when a particle is returning to the origin.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
You can have a negative distance but not a negative displacement .... A negative distance means you are on the left of the origin .

bedpotato

HSC
You can have a negative distance but not a negative displacement .... A negative distance means you are on the left of the origin .
Distance can't be negative. But you can have a negative displacement. If the displacement was -5m, it means the object is 5m to the left of the origin...

Last edited:

iBibah

HSC
You have them the wrong way around. Displacement can be negative.

Siddy123

HSC
distance is a scalar quantity( just a value)
displacement is a vector quantity ( can be negative- just means direction)

mRym

HSC
Further then that, it said the shaded VALUE. A value is a NUMBER. The value was negative. You can't have a negative distance. And the 'after 2 seconds' thing, makes sense for displacement, as it is a measure from the origin. Therefore, after 2 seconds, how far is it from the origin.
what if it didnt start at the origin?

Last edited:

wagig

HSC
what if it didnt start at the origin?
It doesn't matter whether it started at the origin or not, the displacement represented by that shaded value still occurred over that time period since the velocity was constantly negative.

mRym

HSC
It doesn't matter whether it started at the origin or not, the displacement represented by that shaded value still occurred over that time period since the velocity was constantly negative.
but if it didnt start at the origin, the displacement from the origin after 2 seconds is different to the distance travelled :confused:

wagig

HSC
but if it didnt start at the origin, the displacement from the origin after 2 seconds is different to the distance travelled :confused:
I see what you mean, but in this particular question the answer relating to displacement was "the displacement of the particle after 2 seconds" (or something similar), which made no reference to the displacement from the origin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)